BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a used '95 318i 4dr 5spd right now. Seems to be ok, but it's high mileage (184k), and I'm just wondering if there's anything special to watch out for with these cars, or things that are prone to breakage?

Asking price is 4k, honestly seems a little low to me unless there's something lurking that's gonna bite me.

I've checked carfax (well autocheck actually) on the VIN and it all checks out, single owner, no blemishes at all on the report.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
Honestly, you should save your coin for a 325.

A car with that many miles is could suffer from any sort of issue regardless of what type of car it is. Look for water or rust inside the trunk. do all the panels fit. Are all the panels marked with the VIN #. Every panel on that car should have the VIN # on it, if not it may have been replaced because of a crash.

I would check to make sure that ALL of the electrical items work. Windows are lifts are a problem on E36s. Check the rear suspension mounts.
I am not familiar with the four cylinder BMWs or what issues to look for engine wise.

You most certainly should take it to an independant shop to have a qualified mechanic take a look at it before making the purchase.

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok well, a 325 is an option.. I did manage to find a used one of those around here with a 5spd -- but manual is rare around NYC.

There are one or two listings I'm looking at that are local to me. One is a '93 325i 4dr, 5spd, 160k miles, asking $3800.

So then, with the 6cyl, anything specific I should be looking at? I'm looking obviously for anything that is "known" to be a problem on these cars, if there's anything like that. As an example I'll use the fuel regulator and injector rails on my Z31 (84-89 300zx) that had a TSB out on them. Unaware I drove this car for a few years before I saw a bit of smoke while at a convenience store, popped the hood -- raging engine fire.

Another example would be exhaust manifold studs breaking off and causing the manifold to not properly seal on the early-mid 90's pathfinders. Cold they make an awful racket that goes away once they warm up, and they have to be warmed up to pass emissions if this has happened.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I'm thinking of selling mine this summer, but I don't know what price to ask. KBB trade-in is $4500.

It's a 95 325i sport, 5 spd, black/black leather, 110k miles, OBC and ASC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts