BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make sure I do this correctly next week. I have an eisenmann muffler on the way and it should arrive by friday....

So here's 2 pics of the current oem muffler setup on my car now...

the first pic shows the y-pipe and the 2nd pic shows the canister on the left (driver's side) that exits out the rear tip.

My question is, Is the other canister on the right hand side the resonator? or is it part of the muffler.

I don't want to remove the resonator just yet....If it's loud enough for me with the resonator on and this exhaust welded on then i will leave it as is.

thanks for your help!

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
that's the whole muffler for the 540. there is already a Y resonator and that's the secondary muffler's resonator. as wacky as it sounds, we kinda have like 3 mufflers all together.

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
that canister holds my james bond oil slick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you might want to leave those on at first, they can get loud when you add in the fact that your putting on an eisenmann. also with your family situation... wife is gonna hate you if you take those out and they are waaay too loud... plus you got an auto:rofl: so there might be a bit of drone

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so if i'm not removing the resonator....so that means i'm just replacing the two drums...

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
xxpanipuri,
All you need to do is remove those two cans (cut the single pipe they both go into) you have pictured and replace with your new exhaust. If you just remove those two you will still have your resonator and you can make your decision to leave it or go louder and remove the "Y" shaped resonator (located in front of the diff) and just straight pipe it. I personally think you should leave the resonator but we'll find out soon enough.

It'll be pretty self explanatory once you get the new exhaust muffler.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
xxpanipuri,
All you need to do is remove those two cans (cut the single pipe they both go into) you have pictured and replace with your new exhaust. If you just remove those two you will still have your resonator and you can make your decision to leave it or go louder and remove the "Y" shaped resonator (located in front of the diff) and just straight pipe it. I personally think you should leave the resonator but we'll find out soon enough.

keep banana, lose the 2 bongo drums

·
chillen
1,438 Posts
I too am looking at taking out the resonator. any clue on a normal price to have it removed and straight piped? or are there other resonators out there that are straight pipe?

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
I too am looking at taking out the resonator. any clue on a normal price to have it removed and straight piped? or are there other resonators out there that are straight pipe?
putting a straight pipe will make it sound raspy.

·
chillen
1,438 Posts
its a Remus.. so if i dont want the raspy sound, more grunt how do i go about that... chivas i always find your posts to be full of knowledge. fill me in

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
xxpanipuri,

i'm most probably going to leave the resonator as i do not want it too loud inside....

my kid still sleeps in the car :)

when we're driving so...

·
^^^Worst Username Ever!
1,381 Posts
i'm most probably going to leave the resonator as i do not want it too loud inside....

my kid still sleeps in the car :)

when we're driving so...
I removed the Y shaped resonator and I do get a bit of a drone. Not loud, but I like it. I have a 1 year old and she falls asleep just fine. Shoot, it probably soothes her to sleep :thumbup: . I'd leave the resonator on and if you don't like how loud it is, try it without. It does make it much louder.

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
Depends on the exhaust muffler...
no really, it doesn't. No resonator = rasp on these motors. It's an exact science. Ask me how i know. :rofl:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts