BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi,

I'm quite new in the BMW world. I come from France and i'm planning to buy a 2005 beautiful German BMW 320ci which came with a tape + monochrome GPS system called "GPS Business". Here is how it looks :

I've did some search and I've found the GPS was produce by Philips http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-3er-E46-Radionavigation

1. Can I plug any BMW CD loader found on ebay to this system ?
  2. Do you have the technical name of this device, I want to google to know more about it
  3. Is there a way to upgrade the GPS data by myself ?
  4. Can I find the same device with CD + GPS instead of tape + GPS ?
  5. Any change to read MP3 via the CD loader or the CD+GPS combo

I'm pretty focus on update the GPS data and read MP3 (via CD, Cd loader or even from a USB key or so). Any informations, links or so is welcome!

Thanks you very much

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
That's a nice looking BMW interior wise. What I would do is go into the front left side of the trunk, and see what type of nav system is in there. Is it a MK IV? Also, eject the disc inside to see what type of disc it is. If you get this information and post it on this thread, we can help you further, for your other questions:
1. Yes, you should be able to put any type of CD changer in, usually there are two ports in the trunk, one for the nav, and one for the cd loader.
2. Possibly you might have a MK IV nav system in the back, not sure until you provide above info.
3. Yes, there is a way to upgrade the data by yourself, but it depends on above info.
4. Does not look like you can, but I would ask a dealer as well.
5. 2005+ models' in dash cd players could play mp3's. If you are able to switch in an in-dash player, make sure it was produced after '05.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 330ximd and thanks you very much for your answers.
I'm not yet the owner of this 2005 320ci. Should be done in 8 days :bawling: I will make some pictures and introduce myself.
As far I can understand, i have to check on the trunk, I should see the hidden part of the GPS, something who looks like a tiny embedded CDrom player, right ? I guess the CDs loader will be in the trunk too if I buy one, right ?

Well, I will keep you in touch during the next week, as soon the car would be mine ;)

thanks

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
You need to purchase a cd changer rated to read mp3's, I'll check tonight online which ones are compatible and post them for you. Are you going to purchase this car, it looks pretty nice?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi,

Yes, I'm planning to buy this car next week. I have some nice pictures from the seller but I don't want to show them before I get it. I will do mine the next week and share them here with a great pleasure :D
The GPS display seems to be included with the tape device as far we can see on the picture I've posted but you told me there is no CD+GPS combo... I guess I'm doomed : keep the GPS and play MP3 cds...

CU!

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Unfortunately if you get a good look at the tape deck next to the screen, the length of a cd opening would conflict w/ the business nav screen, but it's not a big deal if you have a good cd changer, I was actually looking, but then I remembered you are in France, and I think you should stick w/ european spec cd-changers that also play mp3's. Also, you can add an aux-input in your glovebox to play from mp3 players, or you could use a tape output connector via your tapedeck to hook up to an mp3 player as well, but that would be a little cluttered looking.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Ok, after a little more research into your nav system, your system is definitely the MK IV system. You will be able to update your firmware easily off of this site, once you get the vehicle. The software/maps however, since you live in Europe, you might have to purchase the newest dvd of maps for the MK IV system. So, you will be able to add a cd changer, just make sure it plays mp3's, most of the new models do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That's it, I bought my new car : a 2005 e46 320ci BMW. I will post some pictures soon, i'm quite proud of my first BMW :D

Anyway, I've join 2 pictures, one from the front GPS panel and one from the GPS DVD player.
Here is once again my questions since now, we have pictures of the nav system and it's my own car :p
  • What is my nav system version ? (still MK IV ?)
  • What update I can do on this navigation system : update the firmware (does it make it faster or so ?, how know my firmware version) and buy the latest DVD I guess ?
  • There is a hole on the top of the DVD player, can I add there a BMW CD changer there ? I don't see any cable, just a plastic compartment.
  • Finally, Is my audio system can read MP3 cds ? (from the cd changer in my case)

I'm also googling and i've found this :
http://www.bimmernav.com/bmw_mp3_cd_changer.html
http://www.bimmernav.com/why_mkiv.htm
And I've found this : http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/24259665.htm?ca=16_s this a 2008 dvd modified to include french radar trap, what do you think?

Thanks you very much!

Attachments

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,215 Posts
I'm sorry I do not have any useful info, but do you have any more pics of that navigation system in action? I'm very intrigued by it for some reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Have you had any luck with this? Im in the same predicament as you, I have the same setup. A Business GPS monochrome head unit with a MKIV DVD player. I want to fit in an auxiliary device preferably my DAB radio ;) . I havent been able to find anything of the internet (2 weeks now :( ) specific to my setup. my last hope is the forum.

i would be grateful if someone can help.

Thanks Alot

NaV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hello shakface/NaV,

Infortunatly, I did just one thing : update my GPS firmware + get a `fresh` 2008 GPS DVD to have update informations. I've found a guy who sold the CD-Rom Update and the home-made DVD for ***8364;25. But I'm still wondering if I can have a CD loader at the back of my car who can read MP3...

Thanks & CU

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.