BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 535i
For some reason the My BMW app is no longer showing my cars info or location. When I click on the vehicle finder tab it's saying that "GPS not enabled in vehicle". When I go to the settings menu in the car there is no option to turn that function on or off. From the videos I saw that tab would be right up under system update. Up until now I never had this problem I could find the location of the car and use the few functions that the app allowed for my year and model ex lock/unlock and ventilation. Just wondering what happened or is there an update that is needed for my car

·
Premium Member
2015 BMW 535i M-Sport
772 Posts
Look at this first:

Enable Remote GPS Access
  1. Turn on the BMW, open the main menu in the infotainment system, then scroll down to select Settings.
  2. Scroll down once more and select GPS tracking.
  3. Ensure that the box next to GPS tracking is checked by selecting it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing I can't find the GPS tracking option in my settings. The last tab that I have is software update but up until last Friday whenever I logged into the app to schedule service I could always locate the car and see the remote functions. Now that isn't possible and I'm getting the message but there is no where in the settings that I can enable or disable the GPS. Thanks for the quick response

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is a result of the 3G sunset.
All vehicles fitted with 3G communication radios no longer communicate with BMW, hence no longer the app. Lots of info on this elsewhere.

It looks like BMW also pushed out some coding change before the sunset to eliminate the option of GPS enabling on the head unit. This is why the OP cannot find the "Enable GPS Tracking" screen. it is no longer there. My guess is it also disabled some other warnings and such since the radio does not have cell towers to communicate with any longer. You also cannot press the 'call for emergency' button. But a message will pop up with the phone number to call, using your cell phone.

This affects most BMWs built before 2017. Differnt models vary as to when the 4G module was installed.

On a positive note, BMW cannot track your car, and harass you for maintenance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a result of the 3G sunset.
All vehicles fitted with 3G communication radios no longer communicate with BMW, hence no longer the app. Lots of info on this elsewhere.

It looks like BMW also pushed out some coding change before the sunset to eliminate the option of GPS enabling on the head unit. This is why the OP cannot find the "Enable GPS Tracking" screen. it is no longer there. My guess is it also disabled some other warnings and such since the radio does not have cell towers to communicate with any longer. You also cannot press the 'call for emergency' button. But a message will pop up with the phone number to call, using your cell phone.

This affects most BMWs built before 2017. Differnt models vary as to when the 4G module was installed.

On a positive note, BMW cannot track your car, and harass you for maintenance.
Ok thanks. That’s make sense

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a result of the 3G sunset. All vehicles fitted with 3G communication radios no longer communicate with BMW, hence no longer the app. Lots of info on this elsewhere. It looks like BMW also pushed out some coding change before the sunset to eliminate the option of GPS enabling on the head unit. This is why the OP cannot find the "Enable GPS Tracking" screen. it is no longer there. My guess is it also disabled some other warnings and such since the radio does not have cell towers to communicate with any longer. You also cannot press the 'call for emergency' button. But a message will pop up with the phone number to call, using your cell phone. This affects most BMWs built before 2017. Differnt models vary as to when the 4G module was installed. On a positive note, BMW cannot track your car, and harass you for maintenance.
So what’s the workaround? How do I get my car to show up in my app again? Is there an update or some coding change I can download or install to get it working again?

·
Glfbggy
1,009 Posts
So what’s the workaround? How do I get my car to show up in my app again? Is there an update or some coding change I can download or install to get it working again?
There is no workaround at this time. Whether from BMW or aftermarket.

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
BMW NA sent out discontinuation of service notices to owners that had connected service accounts. The info below was one of several that I received…and you can see the send date was in Dec/2021 to inform that Feb/2022 was going to be the end of several services that used to be.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grille

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Font

Font Document Paper Paper product Multimedia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts