BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the most scenic and/or coolest drives in order to really enjoy your BMW in Europe?

What is the best stretch of the Autobahn to drive at high speeds?

Here's a great drive that I recently did while on business in Europe...

I drove from Geneva through the St. Bernard pass/tunnel to Aosta, Italy and then onto Milan. What an outstanding drive... I sure wish I had a BMW on that trip. It's not as direct as the Mont. Blanc tunnel but incredibly scenic, minimal traffic, lots of twists and turns, great roads, and lots of castles once you get down to Aosta and beyond.

What are some other great drives in Europe?

·
In Driving Heaven
2,772 Posts
I've read here that the Grossglocknerstrasse is quite a drive. Most of the driving I did on my ED trip was autobahnen, so it wasn't terribly scenic or taxing of the car's abilities.

The autobahn from Munich down to the Linderhof Palace/Ettal Monastery area (don't have a map at the moment) seemed like it would have been great for high speeds -- lots of relatively straight stretches, little traffic. Unfortunately, the car was in its break in period, so I didn't get enjoy the full benefit of the unlimited speed zones. On the other hand, I did go faster than the posted limit on the autostrada heading towards the French border and Nice. :D

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
The Brenner pass had a great stretch of Autobahn/Autostrada that was a ton of fun to drive. We had no problems hitting 140mph using 6th gear from 95mph. (Could have gone faster if it weren't for the darn break in period). The highways in Southern Austria/Northern Italy are great, have nice views of the Alps, and lots of turns. They're not the fun tight little twisties you see higher up in the mountains, but it's definitely a great stretch of highway driving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.