BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
RockStar!
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to my mechanic and he hooked my car to a snap on computer. turnes out that the pass restrain system error is coming from the pass seat sonsor. he looked up the code and it turnes out that there is a recall on the seat sensor. called bmw and i am having them replace it tom. dont spend 2000 on a modual.thought u guys should know i know everyone has this issue

·
Registered
607 Posts
Good news is that one was recalled a while ago!!!! Bad news - there are about four more of those that can go bad..........some really expensive, some not so expensive. What I will say is try a reprogram before anyone does any of these fixes. I was told 2000 as well for a PRS problem.......a reprogram for something unrelated cleared the fault. I would have given them that money because I needed to do my inspection!

·
Registered
67 Posts
questions....

can anyone shed some solid info on this topic...i have the same problem like everyone has with passenger restraint system notice being displayed needing a new mat sensor...im almost ready to get this sensor fixed.....what years does the recall cover....??? thats the most importnat thing because ive already been turned away with my 03 745i at the dealership saying it was only 2006 and newer.....

PLEASE HELP GUYS...!!!!

·
bmw addiction
7,161 Posts
can anyone shed some solid info on this topic...i have the same problem like everyone has with passenger restraint system notice being displayed needing a new mat sensor...im almost ready to get this sensor fixed.....what years does the recall cover....??? thats the most importnat thing because ive already been turned away with my 03 745i at the dealership saying it was only 2006 and newer.....

PLEASE HELP GUYS...!!!!
Name of Product: Vehicle
Units: 200000
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC
Hazard: In this situation the front passenger air bags will not deploy even if a sufficiently severe accident would occur and occupant protection provided by the system would not be possible.
Description: BMW is recalling 200,000 model year 2006 3 series Sport Seat, model year 2004-2006 5 series Standard and Sport Seat, and X3 passenger vehicles. Depending on the manner and frequency of the front passenger's entry and exit, small cracks have developed in the mat. If this occurs, the front passenger air bags, with the exception of the head protection system, will be deactivated and the air bag warning lamp as well as the passenger air bag "on-off" lamp will be illuminated.

BMW is extending the warranty to 10 years from first registration without any mileage limit to the following vehicles: model year 2006 6-series, 3-series (standard seat), model year 2004-2005 Z4, model year 2004-2006 7-series, model year 2006 X5, and model year 2004-2006 5-series (comfort seat). Under the extended warranty program, the occupant detection mat in a vehicle that experiences this specific issue will be replaced at no charge to the customer.
Solution: Dealers will rework the front passenger seat sensor mat so that external force application to the seat does not cause a crack to the mat. The recall is expected to begin during late September 2008. BMW will also extend the warranty on these vehicles to 10 years from first registration without any mileage limit.

Its not a recall its an extended warranty....call the 800 number...thats bmw north america..

·
gixxernut
145 Posts
well this is stupid as **** bmw should man up and replace all of the years that are experiencing the problems my 02 745li has this problem and it looks like many of us that own older than an 04 also have the same problem with this :mad: why would they not just do the right thing

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanx alot , that's great news , wish they would recall cooling pipe , hood strut , transmission plug , and hood release cable , hopefully . I like to kno how we owners of e65 /66 can start a process of trying to see if it's possable to make the above mentioned into recalls , I heard certain complain from owners can mak it happen

·
gixxernut
145 Posts
Name of Product: Vehicle
Units: 200000
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC
Hazard: In this situation the front passenger air bags will not deploy even if a sufficiently severe accident would occur and occupant protection provided by the system would not be possible.
Description: BMW is recalling 200,000 model year 2006 3 series Sport Seat, model year 2004-2006 5 series Standard and Sport Seat, and X3 passenger vehicles. Depending on the manner and frequency of the front passenger's entry and exit, small cracks have developed in the mat. If this occurs, the front passenger air bags, with the exception of the head protection system, will be deactivated and the air bag warning lamp as well as the passenger air bag "on-off" lamp will be illuminated.

BMW is extending the warranty to 10 years from first registration without any mileage limit to the following vehicles: model year 2006 6-series, 3-series (standard seat), model year 2004-2005 Z4, model year 2004-2006 7-series, model year 2006 X5, and model year 2004-2006 5-series (comfort seat). Under the extended warranty program, the occupant detection mat in a vehicle that experiences this specific issue will be replaced at no charge to the customer.
Solution: Dealers will rework the front passenger seat sensor mat so that external force application to the seat does not cause a crack to the mat. The recall is expected to begin during late September 2008. BMW will also extend the warranty on these vehicles to 10 years from first registration without any mileage limit.

Its not a recall its an extended warranty....call the 800 number...thats bmw north america..
called bmw gave them my vin and they advised me there was not an open recall on my car:mad: basically i will more than likely have to bite the bullet for this which i think is bs because everyone else has the same problem and its not like the car was in a wreck or something happened to cause this it just all of the sudden came up its bs i think

·
gixxernut
145 Posts
Thanx alot , that's great news , wish they would recall cooling pipe , hood strut , transmission plug , and hood release cable , hopefully . I like to kno how we owners of e65 /66 can start a process of trying to see if it's possable to make the above mentioned into recalls , I heard certain complain from owners can mak it happen
i think we should file a class action lawsuit against them this is absurd

·
()_:_:_))_C_A_M_E_L_)
1,687 Posts
Good news is that one was recalled a while ago!!!! Bad news - there are about four more of those that can go bad..........some really expensive, some not so expensive. What I will say is try a reprogram before anyone does any of these fixes. I was told 2000 as well for a PRS problem.......a reprogram for something unrelated cleared the fault. I would have given them that money because I needed to do my inspection!
So did you just reprogram your car to wipe it away? because I am having this problem too and of course I dont wanna pay 2k for this bs if its just a simple reprogramming what did you mechanic do?

·
bmw addiction
7,161 Posts
lol are you serious?:dunno:
its a 7 year old car

·
Registered
38 Posts
So did you just reprogram your car to wipe it away? because I am having this problem too and of course I dont wanna pay 2k for this bs if its just a simple reprogramming what did you mechanic do?
I was not that lucky. My 2006 750li had the same error message. brought it in to dealer, was told that the control module was bad. Fixed it for $1275. They told me that they are not sure if the air bags would work in the event of an accident. I paid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I have this same message and when I went for my new out of province inspection, the dealer said it was due to low voltage and they suspect my car had been in an accident and not fixed 100%.....

They then just cleared the message but it came back 6 months later! I would like o gt it cleared again but not sure iffy will charge me another $200 to simply clear it off.... Everything else works great on my car.

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.