Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression That e38 and e39 use the same radiators. Griffins website lists 740i radiator but no price you have to call, its a special order. Unfortunately They are closed right now. Does anyone have any experience with these? I just ordered a Behr, and if these work and aren't 700 like the zionsville I may return mine.

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

·
Registered
15,514 Posts
Check and compare part numbers at realoem.com

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The part # on griffins site is 9e-fb794-01.

Looked on realoem there was no match.

My behr radiator I just ordered is listed as e38/e39 radiator ....

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can't comment on any Griffin made radiators for BMWs, but a bunch of us on another forum had Griffin do a custom build aluminum radiator for the Porsche 944 Turbo. All I can say is that it was some of the BEST money I've EVER spent on that car. It NEVER overheats, no matter how hot the outside temperature is. Even my mechanic who doesn't get exicted about the upgrade stuff I normally take him was blown away at the quality of the Griffin radiator.

If they have one that WILL fit the E39, I would be all over that like white on rice.

Good luck!

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
let us know... zionsville price is ridiculous so maybe this is a great alternative
I second the notion that Zionsville is a bit on the high side (considering the Behr/Nissens radiator is all-aluminum 'except for the two side panels'.

So, it always bothered my senses that someone couldn't make a competitive radiator to the Nissens/Behr that simply had aluminum side panels.

BTW, a picture of the griffin next to the old radiator (for fit) would be nice if someone has gone that route.

·
Registered
7 Posts
new to this

So we have a 97 540i 6speed with a vf engineering supercharger. She's a dream We also have the Griffin Radiator for her. Part #9E-FB794-01. Its worked great until our fan decided to blow up and put a hole in it. I have a found the radiator on Summit Racing's site. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-9E-FB794-01/ here's the link. Has anyone ever found a better deal for getting a Griffin or is this about as good as I can get?

**I apologize in advance if a second post shows up from me like this one. Like I said I'm new and just learning. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Griffin makes very good products.
I went with the Zionsville radiator for my 540 after 3 Nissens kept leaking.
Plastic side tanks are the $hits.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I originally wanted a Nissens before getting the parts ready for a cooling system rehab, ended up with a South African made Behr from ebay, 21k miles so far and it and the Chinese made Meyle expansion tank are so far problem/leak free. But the news that Griffin makes a radiator for BMW intrigues me, I'd prefer an alternative like an all aluminum radiator (but not for $700).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well this one is supercharged and I plan on keeping for many years o to me it'll be worth the expense. Think Im goin for it lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
True I am looking for an all aluminum radiator for an E53 3.0

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
This past winter the radiator of my supercharged 2000 528 iT broke after hitting a large pothole on the highway.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830478&highlight=

Because I plan on keeping this sweet car forever and because I had already converted my mechanical fan to electric, I bought the complete Zionsville radiator, expansion tank, shroud and electric fan. It is absolutely awesome and I no longer worry about weak plastic radiator and other cooling system parts.

Edit: Oh Yeah! I installed an EMP-Stewart water pump in the summer of 2011. Don't expect any problems from that area either.

·
Registered
232 Posts
This past winter the radiator of my supercharged 2000 528 iT broke after hitting a large pothole on the highway.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830478&highlight=

Because I plan on keeping this sweet car forever and because I had already converted my mechanical fan to electric, I bought the complete Zionsville radiator, expansion tank, shroud and electric fan. It is absolutely awesome and I no longer worry about weak plastic radiator and other cooling system parts.

Edit: Oh Yeah! I installed an EMP-Stewart water pump in the summer of 2011. Don't expect any problems from that area either.
True if you will keep the car for a long time then this is the way to go

·
Registered
397 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a Stewart water pump. There has been a lot of failures with them after a couple of years; especially from the E46 community.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a Stewart water pump. There has been a lot of failures with them after a couple of years; especially from the E46 community.
Mine is 4 years old and pulls coolant strongly. Bearing very sturdy as well (had the radiator out a few weeks ago, if one wonders how I know). Parts can fail, some people use incorrect installation procedures (which when a replaced part has failed, the report is almost "I installed it correctly", etc). Just like VCG for example.....
However, I can also attest that the KTMP rarely climbs to 96°C. Usually stays in the 94°C-95°C, and this with an underdrive set of pulleys. :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts