BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thanks to all for your impeccable knowledge when it comes to this forum.

First question is (because i'm clearly ignorant) is when I rebuilt a caliber a few weeks back I had to bleed the entire brake system and put some fresh DOT4 fluid back in...all worked well. I assume the clutch uses the same fluid and was wondering would I have to bleed the clutch system too? Or are there check valves etc. that would prevent it from interfering the two quasi-codependent systems? I ask this because it worked fine for a few weeks but now (occasionally) I grind when placing the beast into 3rd gear...oddly enough, not the others (if I shift slowly no problem). It has over 104k on it and has the original slave cylinder. It also has a stage 1 clutch kit so I don't know if that put extra stress on an 'old' slave cylinder. Or could it be the master cylinder...

I appreciate anyone's expertise as I'm just a tad muddled with the whole thing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'd guess that if you're only having an issue with one gear, and a minor issue at that, that the clutch isn't a problem. It wouldn't hurt to change the transmission fluid. You can do a search on this, but the general opinion is that BMW "lifetime" fluids aren't really.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts