Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got an idea what to try next. I have a low rumbling/mild grinding/whirring sound that I hear mostly between 10-50mph. I have already replaced the front wheel bearings after reading much about their failure rate but the problem still persists. Sound like it comes from the front but it is hard to tell.

The sound changes with the speed of the wheels not the transmission. The steering wheel does not shake or have any indication of the problem. When I am driving I can only hear it. When on the passenger side I can also feel it just a little.

The car is a 1998 540i with sport package.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
'00 540i Sport
202 Posts
Here's a thought. I had a rock that got lodged in the back center section of the rotor and it was scraping on the backing plate. It made an awful noise. I had to remove the rotor in order to find it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
davereisch said:
Anyone got an idea what to try next. I have a low rumbling/mild grinding/whirring sound that I hear mostly between 10-50mph. I have already replaced the front wheel bearings after reading much about their failure rate but the problem still persists. Sound like it comes from the front but it is hard to tell.

The sound changes with the speed of the wheels not the transmission. The steering wheel does not shake or have any indication of the problem. When I am driving I can only hear it. When on the passenger side I can also feel it just a little.

The car is a 1998 540i with sport package.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Stop replacing parts based on the guesswork. Lift the car on the jack stands or other suitable way to have all four wheels above the ground and rotate them carefully by the
hand. You can also try to rotate the rear wheels by turning the engine on and giving
it some gas GENTLY so they start moving (warning, this requires the car to be firmly
secured on the ground to avoid nasty accident).

As for the rear, you can spin up the wheels and then turn off the engine, go outside (or have someone else listen) and check for the noise while the wheels are still rotating

1 - 3 of 3 Posts