BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I know Rip and In-d-haus will think I'm nuts but it's true. I was reading the Griot's catalog (yea I know I need another hobby) and came across one of Richard's inserts on washing and waxing.

He says "Try this. Mix a quarter part Best of Show Wax with three quarter parts Griots Garage car wash. Shake well and use it to wash your vehicle. It will give you a quick wash/wax when you don't have time to do a full detail. Don't let the potion dry on the car, rinse well."

Page 9 of catalog 140.

Dunno that I would do it, but I guess it adds some validity to the wash/wax products on the market.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I use that procedure on my car...not to give it a coat of wax or anything, but more to protect/replenish my existing carnauba. With very few exceptions, car soap degrades carnauba/oils/& silicones pretty fast. In fact, I think washing your car plays a bigger factor in the degradation of your carnauba wax than does ordinary driving and exposure to the elements. I find that using that technique seems to give my Blitz layer some extra juice.

Also, they're not kidding when they say, "don't let the soap dry on your paint". In fact, be sure to wash just one panel at a time and rinse off immediately. I got some streaking the very first time I tried this.....even though none of the soap dried. I just let it sit for a little bit too long.

·
5,820 Posts
Well, curiosity reigned and I figured "what the hell" when I decided to wash the car tonight. Figured it was probably a ploy to sell more BOS wax but wouldn't hurt to try once. Did my usual wash bucket of p21s body shampoo and then shot some BOS into it. Swished the wash mit around to mix and went to work. p21s is not a sudsy wash to begin with and with the wax was even less so. I could smell the BOS as I was washing. Questioned washing the windows with this mixture but did anyway. Washing was very smooth, mit just gliding even moreso across the surface. I did notice a difference in the drying. I use the Absorber and it was as smooth as could be, less drag. I must admit, I think there's something to this...the car seemed shinier when I was finished. Sort of the level I get when I do a Speedshine after a wash, maybe more...it's really hard to tell on silver. You guys should give it a try, Haus on red and Rip/Chipster on black. Maybe these colors will give a better read. Windows were a bit spotty but I always give them a quick wipe with glass cleaner when I'm finished anyway.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ripsnort said:
Haven't tried it Chip. I use Speed Shine though, replenishes the carnauba in itself after each wash. Give it a go, let us know!
Hey Rip,

I'm an avid Speedshine user, as a matter of fact the catalog with the wash/wax article came with my 1 gallon shipment of Speedshine!

My car is a year old this month so next weekend I am going to do the whole paint finish overhaul. I'll probably try the wash/wax trick in the coming months.

Great write up Johnlew, based on your results I must say you've converted me from "what a crazy idea" to "maybe I'll give this a shot!"

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Okay, will try it next wash, thks for the AAR John! The weather has been so nice here recently (suppose to be 90 today) that the California duster is all that I've needed since returning from vacation! :) Nice break not having to wash once a week! :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I tried it on the Tacoma. It's silver like Johnlew's car so the visible results may not be that great, but the car did seem easier to dry.

I first washed it with car wash, then added BOS wax to the remaining wash and went over the car again. I applied the mixture to small areas and was constantly rinsing it.

Overall, I think I'll do this once a month in between complete wax jobs.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
I tried it Saturday. Results were basically the same Chipster, seemed easier to dry (using the synthetic Chamois). Sudz lather seemed unaffected. Considering the amount one uses, I can't see why I shouldn't do this each wash...maybe I'll do it every other wash.

Thanks for the insight.

·
5,820 Posts
Ripsnort said:
I tried it Saturday. Results were basically the same Chipster, seemed easier to dry (using the synthetic Chamois). Sudz lather seemed unaffected. Considering the amount one uses, I can't see why I shouldn't do this each wash...maybe I'll do it every other wash.

Thanks for the insight.
if you hardly notice a difference, why should we?

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
johnlew said:

if you hardly notice a difference, why should we?
Well, same as Speed shine, another layer of added protection to the current wax? A "refresh" of sorts? :dunno: To be honest, I'm just trying to expediate the disposal of the BOS wax since I prefer the Carnauba and the fact that I'll have an excuse to buy yet more wax (different brands) to test. :) I'm going to try Zaino as I promised Alee almost a year ago...but it looks like not until this fall.

·
5,820 Posts
Ripsnort said:

Well, same as Speed shine, another layer of added protection to the current wax? A "refresh" of sorts? :dunno: To be honest, I'm just trying to expediate the disposal of the BOS wax since I prefer the Carnauba and the fact that I'll have an excuse to buy yet more wax (different brands) to test. :) I'm going to try Zaino as I promised Alee almost a year ago...but it looks like not until this fall.
If you go Zaino, then I may have to also! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Hehe, well, I like trying them all! Now, you won't find me jumping on a Zaino band wagon, since I'd have to first compare it to other polymers that I've not tried, such as Klasse (actually an acrylic from what I've been told) and others in the same "synthetic" catagory.

As in-d-haus said in another thread, half the fun is doing it yourself and experimenting. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts