BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my intake Vanos Solenoid the other day on my 08 535xi with 70K miles, and when I was cleaning off the old one, I noticed that the oil was a little gritty...almost sandy.

I'm assuming this is a sign of carbon build-up, but thought I'd post it here to see if anyone had any opinions.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,409 Posts
Don't think this is a result of carbon build up. What is the oil change history? Is the oil filter installed correctly? Is the oil filter carrier messed up? the little cage thingy can come undone and then the oil filter isn't really working.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The crankcase vent system can make some bits of "plastic" that fee like sand. Usually a short trip, warming it up in cold weather before driving caused problem. That stuff should be caught by oil filter but oil filter bypasses in a lot of situations co contaminants do make their way around.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't think this is a result of carbon build up. What is the oil change history? Is the oil filter installed correctly? Is the oil filter carrier messed up? the little cage thingy can come undone and then the oil filter isn't really working.
The oil was changed about 6,000 miles ago. Oil filter carrier seems to be fine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The crankcase vent system can make some bits of "plastic" that fee like sand. Usually a short trip, warming it up in cold weather before driving caused problem. That stuff should be caught by oil filter but oil filter bypasses in a lot of situations co contaminants do make their way around.
Hmmm...I'll keep an eye on it. I'm changing my oil in a week or two, so I'll send an oil sample in to have it checked. I was planning to do that, any way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts