Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m assuming I’m years behind many of you in discovering this...but my car never had a cd changer installed, and I was obsessed with finding a way to utilize the wiring for it for a Bluetooth solution (ie in lieu of the cd changer). Some quick research and I settled on this and am thrilled. Took my two seconds to plug in the connections.... and it works and sounds great... controls on the steering wheel work perfectly. I left everything in the trunk compartment and so no fishing of wiring etc... just secured it with some Velcro and a few tie wraps. Literally brought my 17 year old radio into the 21st century in less than five minutes. The only thing I chose not to do was to run the microphone supplied with it up to the drivers’ seat (and so for phone calls I chose just to speak into my cradled phone where u could be hands free via your car speakers). IMG_5300.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Constantly Learning
2,020 Posts
Sounds great. I'm the one who is years behind. Can you describe exactly the functionality you've gained? I bought my car with a DICE integration that I think uses the existing CD channel.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
What are those black rings in the photo?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Sounds great. I'm the one who is years behind. Can you describe exactly the functionality you've gained? I bought my car with a DICE integration that I think uses the existing CD channel.
I'm in the same boat as you. I've contacted GROM to see if both units can be installed at the same time but I'm not holding too much hope. I'll let you know if/when I hear back from them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So by using the wiring that was in place for the cd changer .... in now have Bluetooth connection in lieu of cds... when I press mode button on the head unit my iPhone automatically connects to the radio ... the head unit displays what song is playing ... my steering wheel controls can advance and go back in the list of songs playing as well as adjusting the volume.

Had I run the microphone that came with it, I’d also be able to talk through it or answer , hands free. Since I didn’t, I turn off the head unit when my phone rings to speak through my phone... phone mounted on a dash cradle

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
175 Posts
See I need to catch up and get GROM as well...but i DON'T want to lose the CD player functionality....(we don't have the changer, just the BUSINESS CD player)

·
Certified humanoid
141 Posts
See I need to catch up and get GROM as well...but i DON'T want to lose the CD player functionality....(we don't have the changer, just the BUSINESS CD player)
I think all the E39 business CDs have the port for the CD changer, which means you could put the GROM behind it instead of in the trunk.

If I'm wrong, I imagine you could hook it up in parallel with the CD, except for the 12v which you wire to a switch by the cupholders to toggle between the two.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think all the E39 business CDs have the port for the CD changer, which means you could put the GROM behind it instead of in the trunk.

If I'm wrong, I imagine you could hook it up in parallel with the CD, except for the 12v which you wire to a switch by the cupholders to toggle between the two.
Thanks. Ours has the changer prep pkg, just no CD changer in the trunk bracket.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
There are lots of solutions but some depend on your MY and radio. It sounds like the OP was mostly interested in streaming BT audio from his phone. When I got my 2001 E39 530i, it did not have a CD changer but was wired for one. I wish I can remember what the aftermarket unit was that I installed, but it involved running a wire from the CD changer pre wiring in the trunk to the glove box, which was where I put the unit. The unit could stream BT audio, stream BT voice (phone), accept USB (I could plug my iphone in directly and play music from it and charge it) and it also has Sirius XM. I did wire the mic behind the headliner plate. It worked OK. My biggest gripe was that it fooled the system into thinking it was a CD changer when it came to playing music via USB. CD1 was Artist, CD2 Album, CD3 Songs, etc.

IF you have the ability to add an AUX or have one, the easiest way to add streaming BT audio is to plug a BT receiver (plethora of them on Amazon for $20 or less) into it and stream music from the phone to the receive via AUX. In terms of BT Voice, the BMW ULF module cn be had pretty cheap and will plug right into the trunk harnesses.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This tech is an area I'm unfamiliar with, to tell the truth...but has my interest! I have read other praises of GROM...What I'm desiring is something that will allow me hands free phone interface with my '03 530i (both iPhone and Android) , along with the option of connecting the phone audio hardwired (via USB or...) for increased audio resolution over what is standard Bluetooth faire...all while retaining my SterringWheel control functions.

OP- pls forgive my semi-hijack of your thread...

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
This tech is an area I'm unfamiliar with, to tell the truth...but has my interest! I have read other praises of GROM...What I'm desiring is something that will allow me hands free phone interface with my '03 530i (both iPhone and Android) , along with the option of connecting the phone audio hardwired (via USB or...) for increased audio resolution over what is standard Bluetooth faire...all while retaining my SterringWheel control functions.

OP- pls forgive my semi-hijack of your thread...

Don’t discount Bluetooth audio for fidelity. Do you have DSP and NAV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't discount Bluetooth audio for fidelity. Do you have DSP and NAV?

No I don't; just the plain brown wrapper system with the business CD w/bracket and prewired for the in-trunk changer. lol I DO desire to upgrade the speakers, FWIW. I think BavSound has something that will fit perfectly.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
No I don't; just the plain brown wrapper system with the business CD w/bracket and prewired for the in-trunk changer. lol I DO desire to upgrade the speakers, FWIW. I think BavSound has something that will fit perfectly.

You can add an AUX pretty easily to the in dash business CD from the back of it in the dash. Google BMW CD53 AUX . Then plug a BT receiver into the AUX which will allow phone and steaming music. You can skip tracks and it has a built in mic for phone conversation. The phone will ring over the speakers and you push the center button to accept the call.

As I said there are many different options and I***8217;m not trying to talk you out of any of them. Just some cheap easy alternatives that are worth a shot. The AUX part will cost you $20 and then you can use something like this:

TaoTronics Bluetooth Car Kit,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0769DXZTV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I put this on my dash next to the head unit with the double sided tape included. I ran and hid the wires to the glove box where the AUX is and also power it from the flashlight port with an adapter for USB.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Glove-...ke:BMW&hash=item1cc0da7ae8:g:2NMAAOSw~QhbrRCl

I don***8217;t use the BT voice because I have the BMW module but I have tried it and it works well including the built in mic. For music I use the controls to skip tracks, pause etc.

I have the DSP amp so it sounds really good. I also installed a powered sub in the trunk.

The BavSound speakers are sweet but keep in mind you are only going to get it to sound ***8220;ok***8221; because you don***8217;t have a great amp and power with the base AMP unit.

I***8217;m happy to dig out some pictures of my setup and how I hid the wires for the BT receiver. No steering wheel controls other than volume, but reaching for this unit to skip tracks has become second nature.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can add an AUX pretty easily to the in dash business CD from the back of it in the dash. Google BMW CD53 AUX . Then plug a BT receiver into the AUX which will allow phone and steaming music. You can skip tracks and it has a built in mic for phone conversation. The phone will ring over the speakers and you push the center button to accept the call.

As I said there are many different options and I'm not trying to talk you out of any of them. Just some cheap easy alternatives that are worth a shot. The AUX part will cost you $20 and then you can use something like this:

TaoTronics Bluetooth Car Kit,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0769DXZTV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I put this on my dash next to the head unit with the double sided tape included. I ran and hid the wires to the glove box where the AUX is and also power it from the flashlight port with an adapter for USB.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Glove-...ke:BMW&hash=item1cc0da7ae8:g:2NMAAOSw~QhbrRCl

I don't use the BT voice because I have the BMW module but I have tried it and it works well including the built in mic. For music I use the controls to skip tracks, pause etc.

I have the DSP amp so it sounds really good. I also installed a powered sub in the trunk.

The BavSound speakers are sweet but keep in mind you are only going to get it to sound "ok" because you don't have a great amp and power with the base AMP unit.

I'm happy to dig out some pictures of my setup and how I hid the wires for the BT receiver. No steering wheel controls other than volume, but reaching for this unit to skip tracks has become second nature.

Hey Joe, have you seen the BlueBus? It's a forthcoming ibus integrated Bluetooth solution developed by an e46 guy. Looks very nice.

Check this video out explaining it's functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO9WvRbNzZg

Main thread on M3Forumhttp://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340&page=34

More info
https://www.bluebus.dev/

I went ahead and tossed my name in the pre-order hat.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Hey Joe, have you seen the BlueBus? It's a forthcoming ibus integrated Bluetooth solution developed by an e46 guy. Looks very nice.

Check this video out explaining it's functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO9WvRbNzZg

Main thread on M3Forumhttp://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340&page=34

More info
https://www.bluebus.dev/

I went ahead and tossed my name in the pre-order hat.
Holy crap, I did not know. That is sweet. I would shed my ULF and the changer for this. I am in. Too bad no album art!

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I am on the waiting list as well. Installation looks easy peasy.

Yup been exchanging emails with Ted all day. Very talented individual and also looking forward to the install. His testing has been extremely thorough.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yup been exchanging emails with Ted all day. Very talented individual and also looking forward to the install. His testing has been extremely thorough.
Wow. thank you for this tip. I think I'm in. How streamlined can you get? I'm assuming that in spite of surrendering the ability to have a CD changer in the trunk, you still will have the Business CD functionality of the dash Business CD player?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts