BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you might have Guessed, Grus is here!

Which of course means my exquisite pain of the last two months of Grus tracking is over.

On Friday I went out to Port Hueneme to try and spot the Grus coming into port, and indeed, hit the jackpot. I also thought I'd try and spot my car driving down Hueneme Road to the VDC.

I got there at 8:30 in the morning and had an idea the ship would be docking around 10, so I went and had breakfast. That morning and in fact all day, there were many Volvos coming out of the Port. A few Minis, and essentially no BMWs.

After breakfast I went to find a vantage point as you are not allowed into the Port. Upon turning the corner south of the port, at the beach…. BINGO!! There was the Grus, majestically sailing north right on schedule. I got a bunch of pictures.

I then walked up the beach to the breakwater, and throwing caution to the wind, even went into the port a bit, past the chain-link and ominous signs, to grab some unobstructed pictures.

Later, I found a good spot near the entrance to the port to watch via binoculars, the cars unloading and counted about 250 cars coming off the ramp until, BINGO2, an Imola Red Competition Package M3, whose stickers and markings looked a bit different from the basic (non-Euro Delivery) models coming off the ramp. I was feeling pretty certain I had spotted my own car.

Still no BMWs were leaving the port, only coming off the boat. So I headed down to the VDC and saw a couple of employees walking from the parking lot to the restricted area. I told them my story, and that I was wanting to see my car drive by… they said 'well you have priority so you just may see it' I said how so, since no-one knows I'm there.. they said 'we do'. So they were very nice. When I told them I thought I spotted my own car, and said it was an Imola Red Competition M3 package… they both agreed it was a good chance of being my car, saying. There may be at most only 2 or 3 total like that on the whole ship.

I told them I'd be down by the port entrance waiting. About a ½ hour later, the BMWs finally started rolling out of the port, and almost immediately a blue 325 cab pulled up next to me, it was my new friend, and he said: 'It turns out Euro Delivery cars go straight to customs and do not leave the port right away' and that once the cars clear customs, the VDC tries to release them within a day, baring any scratches, etc…

So, I took off, happy that I found the Grus, got some cool pictures and probably even saw my own car rolling off the ship. Here's a link to the picture… hope you enjoy.

Grus Pictures at Port Hueneme with VDC

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great Job! I too have a car on the Grus. I feel like I'm finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel! So... how long before I get my car? I live in the Sacramento area and am very anxious.

545i/orient/auburn/sp/pp/nav/sat/logic 7

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
You... lucky... dawg!!! :)

As far as ETA, my car is on the Grus also and as of yesterday on a truck from the VPC to Santa Barbara BMW. ETA is 5/26. That would mean 4+ days, but I suspect it will be sooner. So, the trip to Sacramento will probably take longer. Your dealer should have an ETA by now.

I'm probably flying down on Friday, already can't sleep or concentrate on much else. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
arnolds said:
Yeah! Had a good laugh at that one! :rofl:
Good, glad you spotted it! :rofl:

I was told my car cleared customs yesterday, so it should be on its way pretty quickly barring any in transit scratches.

The guy I talked to from the VDC said they try to get the ED cars out in a day if possible. So, perhaps I could have it by weeks end, though I'm anticipating next week. Aside from customs, ED cars should get out first, and it seems my car was cleared in 1 or 3 days depending if the weekend counts.

Anyway, all us Grus'rs should have our cars by the end of next week.

BTW: I live only about 20 minutes from the Port, work for myself, (and stopped by the Chamber of Commerce to justify the day) so going up there to look was mostly for fun. I even did it in 1997, but had no results for that effort.

·
Registered
207 Posts
e36m3r,

I admire your persistence and dedication. I am, however, a little disturbed about how easy it was for you to get close/into port. Heck, I watch "24."

·
Registered
852 Posts
Great news!! :thumbup:

Let us know (I am sure you will) when you finally pick up, and post photos. Say Hello to Keith at SB for me (from the other Keith - see him soon I hope!)

·
Registered
822 Posts
amazing write up ... takes the redelivery obsession to a whole new level. You actually accomplished what I would have loved to do when my baby was on the same ship!

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
I hope you have better luck, but my ED took 10 days from ship docking till when SB BMW said they received the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Amazing Gene!

You're the Man!!!!! I'm amazed at the pictures and that you were on the same street the cars were driven to the receiving/delivery center.... I'm sure you saw our car! Cool.. can't wait!

Ray

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:thumbup:

I stopped by the dealer yesterday and saw his printout. (He even had it highlighted so (tgray) seems he is paying attention (hopefully it wont sit on the lot there). Anyway, the car is to be released from VDC tomorrow, and I may have it tomorrow late or Saturday. If I want to take it without the 1200 mile service, I would say for sure I could have it for the weekend.

Also, he showed me a little "D" on the chart of cars and said that signifies damage, (only a few had them) mine did not. Can anyone confirm the "D"?

·
Spartacus_33
813 Posts
e36M3r said:
As you might have Guessed, Grus is here!

Which of course means my exquisite pain of the last two months of Grus tracking is over.

On Friday I went out to Port Hueneme to try and spot the Grus coming into port, and indeed, hit the jackpot. I also thought I'd try and spot my car driving down Hueneme Road to the VDC.

I got there at 8:30 in the morning and had an idea the ship would be docking around 10, so I went and had breakfast. That morning and in fact all day, there were many Volvos coming out of the Port. A few Minis, and essentially no BMWs.

After breakfast I went to find a vantage point as you are not allowed into the Port. Upon turning the corner south of the port, at the beach…. BINGO!! There was the Grus, majestically sailing north right on schedule. I got a bunch of pictures.

I then walked up the beach to the breakwater, and throwing caution to the wind, even went into the port a bit, past the chain-link and ominous signs, to grab some unobstructed pictures.

Later, I found a good spot near the entrance to the port to watch via binoculars, the cars unloading and counted about 250 cars coming off the ramp until, BINGO2, an Imola Red Competition Package M3, whose stickers and markings looked a bit different from the basic (non-Euro Delivery) models coming off the ramp. I was feeling pretty certain I had spotted my own car.

Still no BMWs were leaving the port, only coming off the boat. So I headed down to the VDC and saw a couple of employees walking from the parking lot to the restricted area. I told them my story, and that I was wanting to see my car drive by… they said 'well you have priority so you just may see it' I said how so, since no-one knows I'm there.. they said 'we do'. So they were very nice. When I told them I thought I spotted my own car, and said it was an Imola Red Competition M3 package… they both agreed it was a good chance of being my car, saying. There may be at most only 2 or 3 total like that on the whole ship.

I told them I'd be down by the port entrance waiting. About a ½ hour later, the BMWs finally started rolling out of the port, and almost immediately a blue 325 cab pulled up next to me, it was my new friend, and he said: 'It turns out Euro Delivery cars go straight to customs and do not leave the port right away' and that once the cars clear customs, the VDC tries to release them within a day, baring any scratches, etc…

So, I took off, happy that I found the Grus, got some cool pictures and probably even saw my own car rolling off the ship. Here's a link to the picture… hope you enjoy.

Grus Pictures at Port Hueneme with VDC
You are completely nuts dude! :rofl:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts