BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the GSPerformance clutch pedal in my '02 M Coupe and I have to say that I'm extremely impressed. As usual, Gustave has engineered a great piece and it shows not only in the workmanship, but also in the end result.

I originally installed Ron Stygar's clutch pedal to get rid of the side-to-side slop (which worked great), so I was a bit hesitant to change out pedals knowing that the GSP unit uses the factory bushings for the main pivot. I can now confirm that the result is rock solid.

In my opinion, there are four big pluses to this pedal:

First is that it lowers the resting height of the pedal by 1.2". If you're a left foot braker, this makes it a lot easier to transition your left foot from the dead pedal to the brake pedal without the clutch pedal getting in the way. It also seems like a much more natural position to get your foot on the clutch pedal itself.

Second is that it lowers the clutch engagement point by that same 1.2". I've never run an adjustable clutch pedal stop, but this definitely gives the same benefit.

Third is that he does away with the helper spring altogether. I was thinking that this would result in a lot more pedal effort, but strangely enough, it feels no less difficult and far more consistent throughout the entire range. It seems like it provides a lot more feedback as to what's going on with the clutch itself.

Fourth is that, like the Stygar pedal, it completely removes all of the side-to-side slop encountered with the OEM pedal.

It's hard to explain in words how much better this pedal feels. It took a little getting used to (I came close to stalling the car after the first few pedal engagements), but it felt completely natural after only about an hour of driving.

Gustave only tries to improve on things where he truly thinks there's a better solution and he really scored on this one. Well worth the money.

As an early adopter, the first version I tried didn't have the clutch engagement ignition start tab as it was modeled after an OBD I car's pedal. When I commented on this, he promptly redesigned the pedal to include the tab. I ended up keeping the first pedal for my '95 M3 where the results were equally impressive.

The pedal is finished in black powder coating and is a work of art.

Check out the pedal here.

--Blaine

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Installed pics?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I really like the idea of lowering the resting height of the clutch pedal, so long as the total pedal travel does not change.

I tried a clutch stop a few years back and liked the difference it made at first while the engine and transmission were cold. However, as the car heated up, the clutch dis-engagement point seemed to get closer to the floor. After an hour drive on the highway I could not get the car into gear until I removed the clutch stop all together. So, the stock clutch stop went back in.

A few of us were talking about this some time ago. I never figured out why this happened and the stainless braided clutch hose combined with fluid flush didn't make much of a difference.

I guess I'm just curious if this will be a problem with this new pedal. If it rests at a lower setting will it also bottom out sooner (similar to having a clutch stop)?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sands said:
Installed pics?
I don't have any pictures, but could snap one. It won't show much other than the resting height of the pedal sitting slightly lower than the brake pedal. I'll experiment to see if I can even capture that aspect in 2D.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Just adjust the clutch stop when the car is hot. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
killeen_john said:
I really like the idea of lowering the resting height of the clutch pedal, so long as the total pedal travel does not change.

I tried a clutch stop a few years back and liked the difference it made at first while the engine and transmission were cold. However, as the car heated up, the clutch dis-engagement point seemed to get closer to the floor. After an hour drive on the highway I could not get the car into gear until I removed the clutch stop all together. So, the stock clutch stop went back in.

A few of us were talking about this some time ago. I never figured out why this happened and the stainless braided clutch hose combined with fluid flush didn't make much of a difference.

I guess I'm just curious if this will be a problem with this new pedal. If it rests at a lower setting will it also bottom out sooner (similar to having a clutch stop)?
Now that I think back on it, Gustave only changed the angle of the pedal arm, with, I believe, all other engagement positions (like for the master cylinder) remaining exactly the same as the stock pedal. In other words, when I overlayed the GSP pedal over the stock pedal, everything lined up exactly the same except the actual pedal position. I may not actually give up 1.2" of travel depending on what part of the pedal hits the stop and how Gustave designed that part of the pedal. I've still got ample room before the clutch engages as I bring it up from the floor. This engagement distance doesn't change with temperature on my car. BTW, I've also got a SS braided clutch line.

Having said all that, I probably didn't answer your question. It's definitely not even close to being an issue for me. I regret not taking some photos comparing the two pedals while they were out of the car since that would answer a lot of questions.

--Blaine

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pinecone said:
Just adjust the clutch stop when the car is hot. :)
Had to remove it all together to get the car in gear as it was adjusted as low as possible. I even tried cutting it shorter, but in the end had to go back to stock.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
///MDex said:
I don't see a listed for an MZ3 pedal at the site? Did you use the E46 pedal?
I'm quite sure that the E36 and E46 pedals are different and that the new pedal hasn't been posted on the site yet. He should have the new pedals in stock. Drop Gustave an email to confirm at [email protected].

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just installed one of these. All I can say is WOW. Tired of your clutch feeling like a big spring attached to a bungie cord. This thing is rock solid. My car feels like sports car now. I think BMW put the over center assist spring on to make the clutch effortless. They took away all feeling.

The new pedal is steel and with the original plastic bushings only has 3/16 " side play. What I am going to do is send it to Ron for his bushings. Should have had Gustave send it directly to Ron. The new pedal doesn't use the over center spring so I am getting the normal type spring and grommets from Ron.

Also Gustave was great in answering my questions and the quick ship of my pedal. I am on the east coast, I mailed him a check and got my pedal 8 days later.

Will post some picks soon. Took about 60-90 minutes to install.

Joe

·
Hero to Z3ro
126 Posts
WOW! Just found this post and Jesus, that pedal looks fabulous. Reminds me of the Elise pedals.

Any chance of getting a full set of newly designed pedals? haha.

I'll definently be ordering one of these soon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Pictures of the new pedal installed, the factory pedal and Gustaves photo of the e36 pedal.

The new pedal does not have a return spring installed yet, when the return spring is installed it will be perfectly even with the brake pedal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The new pedal is steel and with the original plastic bushings only has 3/16 " side play. What I am going to do is send it to Ron for his bushings. Should have had Gustave send it directly to Ron. The new pedal doesn't use the over center spring so I am getting the normal type spring and grommets from Ron.
Hmmmm... I thought about using this normal type spring, but haven't felt the need. Nonetheless, I'd like to get one. Can anyone point me to the part numbers for the spring and grommets or is it easier to just get them through Ron?

I'm pretty sure that Ron's delrin bushings won't fit in this pedal as I believe Ron uses an oversize bushing as a result of reaming out the pivot hole.

--Blaine

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm sure using the pedal without a return spring is fine. I haven't done the research but I feel there is a return spring in the bellhousing that pushes the pedal almost all the way up. A return spring on the pedal will really just lift the pedal and induce some play. Of course I got the lecture 35 years ago when I was learning to drive about NEVER resting your foot on the clutch pedal so I feel I should put a return spring on it.

I was curious about how much Ron reamed the clutch pedal. Maybe he will chime in? Anyway I was going to wait until winter to send the pedal to him. But there is very little play with the factory bushings. Maybe I should just get a spare set of those and see how it goes.

Joe

Hmm, I guess I need a picture of my car for my sig.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Pictures of the new pedal installed,
The new pedal does not have a return spring installed yet, when the return spring is installed it will be perfectly even with the brake pedal.

Was your clutch cruise switch (white one) bracket bent initially or is it because of the new pedal?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ron, the bracket was not bent by the new pedal, maybe by me during installation but I don't think so. The depression in the carpet is from the factory pedal. If the factory clutch stop is missing it was removed by the previous owner or dealer. I assumed that small metal spot was the factory stop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was your clutch cruise switch (white one) bracket bent initially or is it because of the new pedal?
Gustave uses a jig for ensuring exact alignment between the stock and new pedals for his designs. The new pedal has the exact same dimensions where it counts. So no, the new pedal couldn't have done this and it certainly didn't on my own car.

--Blaine

1 - 20 of 30 Posts