BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experiencing shift problems mentioned in the following bulletins. An indy replaced it today - $158 for the part and $290 for the labor. The difference is remarkable... no more noisy tranny clunks.

SI B 24 17 07 - for vehicles produced 03/2003 - 08/2003:
situation - a clunk noise during a 2-1 downshift while driving slowly to a rolling stop, or during a load reversal
fix - The ONLY repair is to inspect the driveshaft guibo coupling as describes in SI B 24 14 07... no EGS software changes are required.

SI B 24 14 07 - for vehicles produced 10/2002 - 03/2005
situation - One or more situations: a clunk while rolling slowly to a stop and downshifting 2-1; load reversal causes a clunk; clunk while shifting forward or reverse gear from park or neutral
fix - inspect and replace the guibo; clear the transmission adaption values

Regards,
Lotastyle

Attachments

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The last several days before replacing the guibo I was using the following method with much success to limit the clunking. I'm not really sure why it seemed to lessen the stress in the drivetrain, but it was certainly noticable. In theory, I wonder if continuing to follow these steps - with a new guibo installed - will extend the life of the new disk? Even the slight movement of the car after shutting off the vehicle was lessened. I'd be interested to know if this experiment works for others with a tranny clunk or not.

A little experiment:
When parking the car, shift from D to N; holding foot on brake, hit the Parking Brake button (NOT P on column); release brake pedal and hit P to put the car in Park. When starting car next time put foot on the brake and put in N - no hard clunk! Put in D - no hard clunk! Release Parking Brake and go. When rolling to a stop the 2-1 harsh downshift is barely noticeable and sometimes nonexistent.

· Freude am Fahren
6,455 Posts
The above method is good practice for an automatic o reduce load on the transmission mounts when parked. I sincerely doubt it has an impact on the guibo related issue.

· Registered
436 Posts
I've been experiencing shift problems mentioned in the following bulletins. An indy replaced it today - $158 for the part and $290 for the labor. The difference is remarkable... no more noisy tranny clunks.

SI B 24 17 07 - for vehicles produced 03/2003 - 08/2003:
situation - a clunk noise during a 2-1 downshift while driving slowly to a rolling stop, or during a load reversal
fix - The ONLY repair is to inspect the driveshaft guibo coupling as describes in SI B 24 14 07... no EGS software changes are required.

SI B 24 14 07 - for vehicles produced 10/2002 - 03/2005
situation - One or more situations: a clunk while rolling slowly to a stop and downshifting 2-1; load reversal causes a clunk; clunk while shifting forward or reverse gear from park or neutral
fix - inspect and replace the guibo; clear the transmission adaption values

Regards,
Lotastyle
Good to hear that this produced favorable results for you, I actually had called an Indy today and got a quote of $450 parts and labor. In the next couple of weeks along with some exhaust work I will be getting mine replaced and will share my results, mine just turned 76K.

· Registered
436 Posts
I'm happy with the result. Good luck to you. Btw, the price you received sounds fair compared to research I've done. For me, it was worth the $290 in labor not to DIY.
I agree, this shop I trust, recently had my fluid and filter pan changed, joint is next that should keep the transmission happy, all about preventive maintenance, else it to the tune of ten times that.

· Registered
3,434 Posts
time will only tell. the guibo (aka flex/hardy disc) replacement is one of the first thing the dealer does to get rid of the jerky transmission. it is a temporary fix for most members on the board (including myself) who had it replaced. i'm fairly certain the tranny clunk will be back. btw- i had my guibo replaced right around 20k miles on odometer..

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Can we please stop calling it "Guibo" (Gwee-bo)? It's GIUBO and pronounced (Jew-bo).

I know, "get a life", but it's true. :D Everytime I see it spelled Guibo, I think, "Guido" my last Italian mechanic. LOL.

· Master Tinkerer
2,224 Posts
This is what happens when you search for "giubo" instead of "guibo". Where have you seen it spelled "giubo"?

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Well, there are several references to refer to, but this is the most credible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giubo

Reminds me of one of our players on the Vancouver Canucks, Kevin Bieksa. For the longest time, many called him BieSKA. Don Cherry STILL does. Something about our English language that gives us the propensity to want to pronounce things a certain way based on similar words, common letter arrangements or pronunciations in our language.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only get a hard clunk when I'm on a hill trying to go from P to D. Does this mean the guibo is on it's way out?
It's possible. If you have 75k miles, I would replace it anyway. Otherwise, look at all service bulletins for your year and take their advice. Btw, I'm pretty sure the BMW bulletins make reference to "guibo" as the spelling - will verify.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The official BMW Service Bulletin SI B 24 17 07 from December 2007 that supersedes the July 2007 version says "guibo," and I have no idea why a wiki exists for the "giubo" spelling. Check situation B about mid-page in the attached image.

Attachments

· Registered
1,101 Posts
I have no idea why a wiki exists for the "giubo"
Because there's a Wiki for everything don't ya know! LOL.

As it says there, it's commonly misspelled as guibo. Common enough for even BMW of North America and BMW forums. I'm willing to bet it's spelled correctly in Europe though. Giubo is a contraction of the Italian word Giunto (joint or coupling). Regardless, I don't want to cause a hijack of this thread. It's just fun to spark some thought.

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.