BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

guidance please (745i owner)

2630 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Expo BMW
Hello everyone,
I need some help. The other day i was park on a hill. when i started the car and tried to change to gear i hear a loud 'clunck' and the screen read "transmission fault" and the car would not go into park, R, or D. I turned off the car and turned it back on. it worked fine. a few days ago (on flat ground) i turned on the car and when i tried turning into gear it, the automatically changed to P and the screen read "it may be impossible to Select R." i turned off the car and turned it on again and it worked fine. it happened again this morning!!!

i have read the forum and thres some discussion about the GUIBO (for the clunck sound) and transmission pan, trans oil, etc for the gears issue?

is this correct, has this happened to anyone, its there a previous discussion anyone can give me the link to? please help, im afraid this issue is really big

thanks in advance
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
How many miles has the car done? I have seen this fault caused by a faulty Gateway Module.
Just hit 90k
I would be surprised if it is a transmission problem. Does he car drive normally?
Do you have access to coding equipment or something to read out the car computer?
As I said before, I have seen this fault before because of a faulty Gateway module......which I think is around $50. If anyone knows the price is different in the states please chip in......
Could be that time for a transmission service!
It's def. not your guibo as the guibo is only a flex disk that absorbs a bit of shock when shifting. Your problem sounds like it's electrical; I'd check the fluid level in the trans and make sure the sealing sleeve for the electronics is still good.
Hello everyone,
I need some help. The other day i was park on a hill. when i started the car and tried to change to gear i hear a loud 'clunck' and the screen read "transmission fault" and the car would not go into park, R, or D. I turned off the car and turned it back on. it worked fine. a few days ago (on flat ground) i turned on the car and when i tried turning into gear it, the automatically changed to P and the screen read "it may be impossible to Select R." i turned off the car and turned it on again and it worked fine. it happened again this morning!!!

i have read the forum and thres some discussion about the GUIBO (for the clunck sound) and transmission pan, trans oil, etc for the gears issue?

is this correct, has this happened to anyone, its there a previous discussion anyone can give me the link to? please help, im afraid this issue is really big

thanks in advance
sounds like the mechtronics sealing sleeve.
thanks guys....the problem has become a lil more harder. last night while parking the car started making a loud scratching noise when i looked under the car there was oil leaking and the 'transmission fault' warning came on again. : (
sounds like 1bad540 is on the money
Yeah Bro, that does not sound good
dont keep driving it, have it fixed. If you drive the car u will fuk up the trans.
wanted to give u an update...i had an indy check the transmission oil for me and they found that i only had about one qt of tranny oil in the tranny. he told me that there was leak coming from the tranny filter (which i dont htink how this is pissble but) and he said i had to get a new filter/cover kit. I got the parts and the oil. once he replaced the oil and put the new filter/cover the problem went away. the only confusing thing was that i dont have a logical explanation as to why the filter/cover would leak, there was no crack or anything i can see. but as of right now the car is running smoothly....thanks for all ur help guys
The tranny filter/pan is made out of plastic. I would bet that someone has changed it before and over torqued the pan bolts causing the plastic to warp or ruining the pan gasket. Did it have the Plastic pan protector on the trans, or was that missing?
That is good to hear. I hope they changed the mechatronics sleeve. This is easy preventive maintenance if done while servicing the tranny.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.