BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up, dogs?

Long time no write. Nice site you got going here. Sorry, I just posted this at bimmer.org -- like this sucker better.

Hey, so I have a 2001 330Ci, purchased 07/01, delivered on the same day as Ripsnort's, but much prettier than his. Anyway, I've had a constant clicking in my H/K speakers (rear), happens every 2-4 seconds all the time.

Hear it mostly when listening to AM radio (pauses in speech), but also in between music tracks. With music playing, the drum track usually covers it.

Once you hear it, it's there forever, but I admit that it's not the easiest thing to hear the first time. But it's there. I am also able to duplicate the sound by a.) holding down the up- or down-volume control on the steering wheel (results in a machine gun-like clicking from the rear) or b.) adjusting the internal light amount when the headlights are on.

Any fixes? I was into my dealer 4 times in October without a fix, and heard a major H/K fix was on its way. They were able to duplicate it in every 330 coupe on the lot. Anyone have any updates or solutions?

JF

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
jerkinflerkin said:
What up, dogs?

Long time no write. Nice site you got going here. Sorry, I just posted this at bimmer.org -- like this sucker better.

Hey, so I have a 2001 330Ci, purchased 07/01, delivered on the same day as Ripsnort's, but much prettier than his. Anyway, I've had a constant clicking in my H/K speakers (rear), happens every 2-4 seconds all the time.

Hear it mostly when listening to AM radio (pauses in speech), but also in between music tracks. With music playing, the drum track usually covers it.

Once you hear it, it's there forever, but I admit that it's not the easiest thing to hear the first time. But it's there. I am also able to duplicate the sound by a.) holding down the up- or down-volume control on the steering wheel (results in a machine gun-like clicking from the rear) or b.) adjusting the internal light amount when the headlights are on.

Any fixes? I was into my dealer 4 times in October without a fix, and heard a major H/K fix was on its way. They were able to duplicate it in every 330 coupe on the lot. Anyone have any updates or solutions?

JF
Hey jerkin with jergins! How goes it? ;)

Sounds like an electrical problem for sure. I don't have this issue with my sedan but no one else has complained about it either.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Jerkin! Hey Bro! Stick around, this place is MUCH better than the .org. :D

I have a problem with my front drivers side lower panel speaker, buzzing sound on bass, thats now gotten worse (even hear it on AM channel talk shows now!) Anyway, had it replaced once, gonna have it replaced again. I'm DAMN glad that the HK system wasn't something that I paid for (standard with the 330) or I'd be real pissed...oh well, guess ya pay for it one way or another!

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Jerkin! Hey Bro! Stick around, this place is MUCH better than the .org. :D

I have a problem with my front drivers side lower panel speaker, buzzing sound on bass, thats now gotten worse (even hear it on AM channel talk shows now!) Anyway, had it replaced once, gonna have it replaced again. I'm DAMN glad that the HK system wasn't something that I paid for (standard with the 330) or I'd be real pissed...oh well, guess ya pay for it one way or another!
Rip

As I posted before, I think you should have them check for plastic rattle. Have them pull the door skin and see if the sound is still present. I'm going back for a second fix myself. With the recent hot weather the noise has reduced which supports the plastic buxx theory, the loose items expand albeit a fraction but enough to lessen the noise. My .02

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

Rip

As I posted before, I think you should have them check for plastic rattle. Have them pull the door skin and see if the sound is still present. I'm going back for a second fix myself. With the recent hot weather the noise has reduced which supports the plastic buxx theory, the loose items expand albeit a fraction but enough to lessen the noise. My .02
Rgr that PM. They at first replaced the speaker, then put the panel back on, the guy checked it, still had rattle, buzzing sound, then he said "I replaced the clips" whatever the hell that means..it worked, for about 2 months...then it came back again. :( AH, well, I still have 25-30k miles or 3 years to constantly bug them with it..I'll bring it in everytime it starts again! ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
jerkinflerkin said:
Anyway, I've had a constant clicking in my H/K speakers (rear), happens every 2-4 seconds all the time.

... snip ...

I am also able to duplicate the sound by a.) holding down the up- or down-volume control on the steering wheel (results in a machine gun-like clicking from the rear) or b.) adjusting the internal light amount when the headlights are on.

This sounds very similar to a problem that occurs with some folks who have installed CD changers or a Phatbox in their car. There appears to be ground loops in some BMW audio systems.

Ground loops are differences in the grounding of interconnected components allowing noise to enter the system. Ground loops are often very difficult to isolate. You can usually do some preliminary troubleshooting to isolate where the noise is getting introduced...

If the noise increases with volume, it is being introduced before the amplifier (since the amp will amplify all signals the same regardless of whether it is noise or music). If it is the same regardless of volume, it is likely being introduced by the output stage of the amplifier and its wiring.

If it is being introduced before the amplifier, and occurs with all sources, it is probably the head unit. If it occurs only with the CD changer, it is probably that component or its wiring.

If it is being introduced by the amplifier output stage, does the sound emanate from all speakers or just some? That may help isolate which channels of the amplifer or speaker wiring may be at fault.

It's not clear in your case what sources contribute and whether it varies with volume level. Once you have a suspicion as to what may be at fault... try disconnecting it from the audio chain to see if the noise goes away. If it does, then it is either that component, or the wiring connecting it to other components that is at fault.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the exact same issue, and BMW says that they 'cannot reproduce the problem' (in other words... 'you are nuts').

So sorry, I have no solution either. Do you also get a loud amplified 'click' when your turn your system on?

Another symptom mine suffers from is that the CD will advance even when the unit is off. i.e. Track 1 when I turn it off 9 when I turn it back on. All things that my dealer says they 'cannot reproduce'. Grrr...
:(

I do have the factory 6 CD changer installed, so I will have to look into the grounding on that and see if it is done properly.

So at least maybe you feel better that you don't have all these problems, and hopefully a dealer that will not treat you like you are crazy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts