BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
CPR ..
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Ive searched for this with no avail. This cup kit seems to be very popular among the e46 folks, but i havent seen any e39ers with it. I have a 528i sport and I want to lower it. Yes I live in nyc, but I dont drive the car on rough surfaces, it isn't my daily driver and I dont drive in snow, and very hardly in rain. The sport cup kit by H&R lowers the car around 2 inches ( as advertised ). The touring cup kit lowers the car about an inch or so. I have the stock sport style 5's and want to reduce the fender gap in the front . The back looks perfect to me, but only lowering the front might cause stability issues with the suspension, not to mention extra stress on the frontal suspension components, so I guess I'll just lower the whole car. How would the car look with either a 2 inch drop in the front from the sport kit, or an inch drop from the touring kit with style 5's? My car's pic is in my sig.

BTW: Im 18 and dont have a family or use the backseats at all so the ride is only for me :)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi

I run H&R springs on my Touring and they're rated lower by 30mm all around. That's just over an inch. To me, it's been low enough for the last few years, but I now want to go a little lower with quality coilovers and run 20 inch wheels.

As you are sticking with your 17 inch style 5's then of course you visually have more tyre sidewall. If you lower just the car by just 1 inch, you'll achieve the visual effect of just a 'smidgeon' lower - the dark black colour of the tyre sidewall, will 'blend' into the darker part of the internal wheel arch. If that amount of lowering is enough for you then thats cool! If you lower by 2 inches, that's 50mm. That's visually going to be fairly dramatic and will bring out the style 5's more. I can't tell from your sig pic, but if you already have your style 5's perhaps with a polished lip, on the black car, you'll have quite a distinctive change in looks. With this kit, you may want to look at using some spacers to really make the stance work and further add to the more dramatic look.

On this forum, I think most will say leave the car as is, or go for the inch lowering only. I say have a good look around for pictures of 'slightly' lowered E39's and then pics of E39's lowered more than that and see which direction you prefer.

I personally wouldn't 'just lower the front' of any car as I prefer doing a matched set of springs to closer match what high end BMW tuning companies do - after all, they're the ones who spend millions of $/£/Euro testing and developing their products and I've not seen any of them lower just the front springs of a car.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
CPR ..
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

I run H&R springs on my Touring and they're rated lower by 30mm all around. That's just over an inch. To me, it's been low enough for the last few years, but I now want to go a little lower with quality coilovers and run 20 inch wheels.

As you are sticking with your 17 inch style 5's then of course you visually have more tyre sidewall. If you lower just the car by just 1 inch, you'll achieve the visual effect of just a 'smidgeon' lower - the dark black colour of the tyre sidewall, will 'blend' into the darker part of the internal wheel arch. If that amount of lowering is enough for you then thats cool! If you lower by 2 inches, that's 50mm. That's visually going to be fairly dramatic and will bring out the style 5's more. I can't tell from your sig pic, but if you already have your style 5's perhaps with a polished lip, on the black car, you'll have quite a distinctive change in looks. With this kit, you may want to look at using some spacers to really make the stance work and further add to the more dramatic look.

On this forum, I think most will say leave the car as is, or go for the inch lowering only. I say have a good look around for pictures of 'slightly' lowered E39's and then pics of E39's lowered more than that and see which direction you prefer.

I personally wouldn't 'just lower the front' of any car as I prefer doing a matched set of springs to closer match what high end BMW tuning companies do - after all, they're the ones who spend millions of $/£/Euro testing and developing their products and I've not seen any of them lower just the front springs of a car.

Cheers, Dennis!
Dennis,

Please allow me to start off by saying that our input has been invaluable to me. Thank you so much for spending the time and effort to write all of what you did. My car is antracite gray, but the way the photographer took the picture ( me ) made the car look black, especially in the low light of the parking garage. My lips are the stock clear coat, except I keep them very clean . I clean my car everyday more or less and keep it covered/garaged. I have no real pictures to show the gap but hopefully the pictures below will show the gap front and rear. The pictures are horrible, I know , but try to make do with them :rofl: I saw a picture of jason5driver's car on style 5s but I can't remember where. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Hi!
:D
I would post the link to my H&R coil-over thread, but Bimmerforums is down right now...
But, that is where there are a few pictures of my car with my style 5's.

My car is dropped close to the 2" below OEM sport height.
If you are worried about the ride, then I would consider the Touring kit, especially if you think the rear height on the OEM sport is fine.
I would also call H&R directly, and Tire Rack, ask their opinion.

Thanks!
Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts