BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some feed back on the difference between these two besides more drop on the race set? I plan on running Bilstein Sports with one of these, just not sure which ones yet.

I'm looking for excelent handeling and don't mind a firm ride. Pics would be appreciated as well.

Thanks-

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Can anyone give me some feed back on the difference between these two besides more drop on the race set? I plan on running Bilstein Sports with one of these, just not sure which ones yet.

I'm looking for excellent handling and don't mind a firm ride. Pics would be appreciated as well.

Thanks-
Since you have the 540i, you require the H&R race springs.

Look on H&R's website, and they give the applications on a chart.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Since you have the 540i, you require the H&R race springs.
Unless something has changed or there is info I don't have, that is not true. I have H&R sport springs with Koni yellows on my 2000 540 sport. Excellent combo, giving a perfect drop so that both front and back tires appear slightly tucked without looking slammed (~1.25" in front, 0.25" in back, both very different from what H&R claims) and yet only slightly altering the ride - maybe 10-20% rougher.

Attached is a picture from a couple of days after the upgrade. It took at least a full day to settle, the front was WAY high - 1+ inches higher rather than 1+ inches low - for the first day.

Bill

Attachments

·
^^^Worst Username Ever!
1,381 Posts
Unless something has changed or there is info I don't have, that is not true. I have H&R sport springs with Koni yellows on my 2000 540 sport. Excellent combo, giving a perfect drop so that both front and back tires appear slightly tucked without looking slammed (~1.25" in front, 0.25" in back, both very different from what H&R claims) and yet only slightly altering the ride - maybe 10-20% rougher.

Attached is a picture from a couple of days after the upgrade. It took at least a full day to settle, the front was WAY high - 1+ inches higher rather than 1+ inches low - for the first day.

Bill
Any current pics? How's the ride with this setup?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I don't have a great shot with my M5 bumper, but the ride height is the same as the photo I posted and the car looks otherwise identical.

The ride is good, firmer than the stock sport suspension, but a good portion of that is the 18" wheels, not the suspension itself. I had a stock Z4 that was at least twice as harsh - my stock S2000 with 17" wheels is also a significantly rougher ride. I like the 540s ride a lot, though if you are expecting a Buick, you will be disappointed. Of course, if you are expecting a Buick, you wouldn't be on this board.

Bill

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Bill
Thanks, Sports sound like what I'm looking for. Race would probably be too harsh for daily driving.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ok guys, I did alot of research on this topic when I picked my springs, so here is the breakdown on H&R springs for the 540.

For 540's with the non-sport suspension, H&R makes Sport (OEM Sports suspension-like drop)& Race (more aggressive drop) springs

For the 540 with the sports suspension, there are only H&R Sport springs.

The 540 non-sport Race springs, and the 540 sport Sport springs are identical.

Make sure, and double check part numbers to make sure you are getting the correct springs.

If you have a sports suspension already, and want a drop, make sure you get the H&R sports for the 540 sport; Part #50464. If you get the sport springs made for the 540 non-sport, you'll spend all that money for labor, and end up with a suspension that looks almost exactly the same.

If you have a 540 nonsport, and want an drop like the OEM sports suspension, then it is part #29764, if you want a more aggressive drop, then you want the race springs which are part # 50464 with another letter tacked on at the end.

H&R made it confusing so that non sport owners could have a mild (Sport) vs Aggressive (Race) drop. They didnt want to scare Sport owners away, so they called the only drop they offered Sports as well which is a mild drop compared to what we started with.

I went with the H&R sport springs made for the 540 sport on my car. So make sure to get part Numbers!!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Nice post.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
here are some pics of the springs:

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Definitely not the same...

I believe Dan/ Chivas has the H&R race springs...
Like I said, reference the application chart on H&R's website, and look on Tire Rack as well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Lots of confusion here.

The two spring kits for 540i that are the same are called "sport for sport" and "race for non-sport".

The "sport for non-sport" is not progressive rate and indeed different than the other two sets. They are a bit softer, more like the Eibach Pro kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok guys, I did alot of research on this topic when I picked my springs, so here is the breakdown on H&R springs for the 540.

For 540's with the non-sport suspension, H&R makes Sport (OEM Sports suspension-like drop)& Race (more aggressive drop) springs

For the 540 with the sports suspension, there are only H&R Sport springs.

The 540 non-sport Race springs, and the 540 sport Sport springs are identical.

Make sure, and double check part numbers to make sure you are getting the correct springs.

If you have a sports suspension already, and want a drop, make sure you get the H&R sports for the 540 sport; Part #50464. If you get the sport springs made for the 540 non-sport, you'll spend all that money for labor, and end up with a suspension that looks almost exactly the same.

If you have a 540 nonsport, and want an drop like the OEM sports suspension, then it is part #29764, if you want a more aggressive drop, then you want the race springs which are part # 50464 with another letter tacked on at the end.

H&R made it confusing so that non sport owners could have a mild (Sport) vs Aggressive (Race) drop. They didnt want to scare Sport owners away, so they called the only drop they offered Sports as well which is a mild drop compared to what we started with.

I went with the H&R sport springs made for the 540 sport on my car. So make sure to get part Numbers!!!!!!!!! ;)
someone is selling me H&R Sport springs from a 540 sport. Mine is not a sport. so if i put them on it will be equivalent to putting on H&R race springs?

I didnt buy them because they are not RACE springs, but you are saying they will be the same?

·
Registered
95 Posts
someone is selling me H&R Sport springs from a 540 sport. Mine is not a sport. so if i put them on it will be equivalent to putting on H&R race springs?

I didnt buy them because they are not RACE springs, but you are saying they will be the same?
Those are H&R race springs for the non sports.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yup. If he did have the Sport springs made for the 540 sport which gave him a drop. You would get the same drop if you bought race springs for the nonsport.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts