BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my stock non-dimming mirror to *try* to install a used auto-dim mirror I purchased from someone on another board, but the mount seems f'd up and it didn't work. At any rate, I put the stock mirror back on, plugged it in locked the car with my remote key. No more blinking clown nose. WTF??

I do not have the alarm system, yet, but the clown nose did blink before I removed the stock mirror. I went thru the key initialization procedure as found in another thread here and still it won't blink.

Any ideas?

·
Go Tigers!
2019 G30 540i M Sport
347 Posts
jvr530i said:
I removed my stock non-dimming mirror to *try* to install a used auto-dim mirror I purchased from someone on another board, but the mount seems f'd up and it didn't work. At any rate, I put the stock mirror back on, plugged it in locked the car with my remote key. No more blinking clown nose. WTF??

I do not have the alarm system, yet, but the clown nose did blink before I removed the stock mirror. I went thru the key initialization procedure as found in another thread here and still it won't blink.

Any ideas?
So are you keeping the stock manual dimming mirror? If so, why - additional wiring you didn't want to deal with or another reason? I installed mine but haven't had time to figure out what wiring changes I need to make it work.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tsbrown said:
So are you keeping the stock manual dimming mirror? If so, why - additional wiring you didn't want to deal with or another reason? I installed mine but haven't had time to figure out what wiring changes I need to make it work.
Nope, I got the used auto-dim to mount after some persistance and extra care. Since my car has rain sensing wipers, the mod was plug and play. I have not driven at night yet, but I will one of these days.

·
Go Tigers!
2019 G30 540i M Sport
347 Posts
jvr530i said:
Nope, I got the used auto-dim to mount after some persistance and extra care. Since my car has rain sensing wipers, the mod was plug and play. I have not driven at night yet, but I will one of these days.
I have rain-sensing wipers as well and so far the mod was not plug and play...unless I've forgotten to plug in a new fuse somewhere. Any ideas?

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tsbrown said:
I have rain-sensing wipers as well and so far the mod was not plug and play...unless I've forgotten to plug in a new fuse somewhere. Any ideas?
Interesting. What's happening? I will be going out tonight and hope to drive in the dark a little. I have yet to since putting the new mirror on, so I don't know if it's working or not. I do know the clown-nose is wired right and there are far more than just 2 wires going to the mirror.

Does your connector on the harness have more than a couple of wires in it?

·
Go Tigers!
2019 G30 540i M Sport
347 Posts
jvr530i said:
Interesting. What's happening? I will be going out tonight and hope to drive in the dark a little. I have yet to since putting the new mirror on, so I don't know if it's working or not. I do know the clown-nose is wired right and there are far more than just 2 wires going to the mirror.

Does your connector on the harness have more than a couple of wires in it?
The mirror doesn't dim at night or when I'm in the garage and the auto headlights come on even if it's light outside. I used the same plug as from the non-auto-dim mirror unaltered...maybe 3 or 4 wires. I may need either a fuse or a fuse and some extra wiring harness connectors. :dunno:

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tsbrown said:
The mirror doesn't dim at night or when I'm in the garage and the auto headlights come on even if it's light outside. I used the same plug as from the non-auto-dim mirror unaltered...maybe 3 or 4 wires. I may need either a fuse or a fuse and some extra wiring harness connectors. :dunno:
So, I went out at night last night for the first time since I installed the mirror. I don't think mine is auto-dimming either. Interesting. I will look at the fuse panel. I did blow the cigarette lighter fuse when I was messing with my volt meter last weekend, maybe they are on the same one.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured out whassup with the new mirror. The connector on the harness in the car is missing contacts 1 - 3, #3 being a switched +12V and #1 being a +12v when the car is in reverse, to disable auto-dim in that mode. #10 is in tact, the ground connection.

This is the silliest thing I've ever seen frankly! A 10-position connector that BMW decided to leave out 2 freakin' pins cuz I didn't spend money on the premium pkg. If they were there, like they should be, this mirror thing would be plug-n-play and a 10 minute deal.

I know there is a retrofit harness available and the local BMW center wants nearly $40 for it, mail order is about half that, but all I need from the kit is one single contact. I'm going to see if I can find something suitable at an electronics store this weekend.

·
Go Tigers!
2019 G30 540i M Sport
347 Posts
jvr530i said:
I figured out whassup with the new mirror. The connector on the harness in the car is missing contacts 1 - 3, #3 being a switched +12V and #1 being a +12v when the car is in reverse, to disable auto-dim in that mode. #10 is in tact, the ground connection.

This is the silliest thing I've ever seen frankly! A 10-position connector that BMW decided to leave out 2 freakin' pins cuz I didn't spend money on the premium pkg. If they were there, like they should be, this mirror thing would be plug-n-play and a 10 minute deal.

I know there is a retrofit harness available and the local BMW center wants nearly $40 for it, mail order is about half that, but all I need from the kit is one single contact. I'm going to see if I can find something suitable at an electronics store this weekend.
Let's see, I spend $43k on a car and BMW decides to leave off what amounts to (their manufacturing cost) something like a $1 set of wires. Brilliant cost savings, Hans! :confused:

Well I have that harness, 'cause I got it from the dealer about 6 weeks ago (got the aux adaptor harness at the same time) and never had the time to check it out what part of it I needed. Forgot about it until now. Cost me ~$20 with my CCA discount. I'll get a picture of it and post it and we can figure out which parts of the harness are required.

·
Go Tigers!
2019 G30 540i M Sport
347 Posts
tsbrown said:
Let's see, I spend $43k on a car and BMW decides to leave off what amounts to (their manufacturing cost) something like a $1 set of wires. Brilliant cost savings, Hans! :confused:

Well I have that harness, 'cause I got it from the dealer about 6 weeks ago (got the aux adaptor harness at the same time) and never had the time to check it out what part of it I needed. Forgot about it until now. Cost me ~$20 with my CCA discount. I'll get a picture of it and post it and we can figure out which parts of the harness are required.
Pictures of the harness attached. At one end is blue/white stripe, brown/black stripe, green/white stripe all with small square female terminals. At about 3/4 the length of the harness, the brown/black strip wire is exposed with a larger female terminal. Then at the other end is the blue/white stripe and green/white stripe wires with larger female terminals. In the bag is about 12 black wire ties (short), a couple grommets, 2 inline scotch-lock connectors, and an AMP connector that matches the small square terminals. Also included is a 25A blade fuse. I don't think I have any installation directions. :mad:

Attachments

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mirror/compass.htm

It's easy and I'll bet u need to add #3 only, just like me. I've located the part number for the housing in the car (1355789-1) at Tyco's website. It looks like it's a standard housing that uses standard terminals. I'm going to try to find some terminals at an electronics store this weekend since I need only one.

I think BMW is smarter than we think. The pin and wire we need is probably a $0.05 item on the assembly line, but they sell us a retrofit harness for $18-40 depending on who you get it from. Brilliant!! :D

What we won't have is the +12v for pin #1 when in Reverse. I have not found anyone yet who has instructions for that one.

Good luck Thomas!

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All wired up and working great! I managed to find the contacts that match the housing in the car's wiring harness so I didn't have to buy the $38 retrofit harness. All I needed was switched +12v on pin 3, pin 10 already had ground. I connected this wire to my V1 hardwire... Works like a charm!

·
Go Tigers!
2019 G30 540i M Sport
347 Posts
jvr826 said:
All wired up and working great! I managed to find the contacts that match the housing in the car's wiring harness so I didn't have to buy the $38 retrofit harness. All I needed was switched +12v on pin 3, pin 10 already had ground. I connected this wire to my V1 hardwire... Works like a charm!
I FINALLY got around to wiring mine (I've only been sitting on the parts for about 4 months :tsk: ). Yes, I only had to attach the pin #3 lead to 12V switched power, but it was a real PITA to do this. The hardest part was getting the lead (cut from the OEM harness purchased from the dealer) seated in the existing connector housing...it just didn't want to seat all the way. Finally I got it to work, then put everything back together. Now I have my auto-dim mirror :thumbup:

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tsbrown said:
I FINALLY got around to wiring mine (I've only been sitting on the parts for about 4 months :tsk: ). Yes, I only had to attach the pin #3 lead to 12V switched power, but it was a real PITA to do this. The hardest part was getting the lead (cut from the OEM harness purchased from the dealer) seated in the existing connector housing...it just didn't want to seat all the way. Finally I got it to work, then put everything back together. Now I have my auto-dim mirror :thumbup:
Congrats! Getting the connector apart stumped me, there were two "wings" that needed to be popped open to let the contact in. When closed they lock them in.

Auto-dim is one of my favorite modern vehicle technologies, right up there with rain sensing wipers and active bi-xenons. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where did u get the pins for this?

jvr826 said:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mirror/compass.htm

It's easy and I'll bet u need to add #3 only, just like me. I've located the part number for the housing in the car (1355789-1) at Tyco's website. It looks like it's a standard housing that uses standard terminals. I'm going to try to find some terminals at an electronics store this weekend since I need only one.

I think BMW is smarter than we think. The pin and wire we need is probably a $0.05 item on the assembly line, but they sell us a retrofit harness for $18-40 depending on who you get it from. Brilliant!! :D

What we won't have is the +12v for pin #1 when in Reverse. I have not found anyone yet who has instructions for that one.

Good luck Thomas!
Where did you get the pins for this harness? I have looked on Tyco's website and could not find this part.

thanks
K

1 - 16 of 16 Posts