BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that by upgrading the projector itself, I'd be in for an increased amount of light output. However, the projectors I purchased (OEM replicas) have a good beam of light, but it's not very intense. They are significantly brighter than my old OEM projectors (which were tarnished and had the chrome rub off when I tried to buff them), but still not bright enough. Yes... I'm aware I made some comment about "lightophiles" in another thread, but I started thinking about how nice it would truly be to have more light on the road and surrounding areas.

I recently got my headlights overwhelmed by an older Cadillac (2004-ish?) STS and started feeling butt hurt about my light output :)eeps:). I started thinking about higher wattage HID systems (50W instead of 35W) and started wondering about the durability of the OEM projector being exposed to hotter bulbs. Let's say they DID hold up to the extra abuse. Would there be excess glare? What would the downfalls be? Like I said before, the beam is plenty wide... it could just use a little more OOMPH to the intensity.

Before you start in with "OMG USE EXPENSIVE BULBS ONLY!" I will tell you that I've put in Philips 6000K, Philips 4300K, and eBay 5000K. In all seriousness, I'm plenty happy with the eBay 5000K bulbs. The Philips didn't really do much for me for what they cost (the 6000K was out of smolck's car... we were testing different bulbs in my headlights to see any differences). I stuck with the eBay 5000K bulbs and am quite content.

So... explain to me, please, why this is a bad idea.

For the record: I do have a set of FX-Rs. I'm just too lazy to try to find another bi-Xenon headlight frame and mount the other projector UNLESS this would be the much better choice. Then I might consider it.

· I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use 6000k HID bulbs and ballasts from ddmtuning which is the cheapest you can get. And they've worked fine for years. I use 35w headlights and 35w fog lights.
I already have OEM projectors and Xenons. I'm just looking for more light. I'm currently running 5000K eBay bulbs and they're decently bright. I just wouldn't mind having MORE, hence the "upgrade" to 50W from 35W.

I'm using the term "upgrade" in quotes because it may be a total disaster waiting to happen. I'm just looking for input.

· Registered
2,463 Posts
It's not a bad idea! They should handle 55w too. If you had ZKW, I wouldn't reccommend it.

· I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not a bad idea! They should handle 55w too. If you had ZKW, I wouldn't reccommend it.
They're Bosch replicas... made of metal, just like the real thing. I had to replace my REAL Bosch projectors because they were so badly tarnished. $165 for a Morimoto 50W kit (ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs) seems reasonable. I figure I can sell my FX-Rs for that (since one of them is already mounted in a frame) and just replace stuff. It would be a hell of a lot easier than fighting a Dremel tool (or exposing poor smolck to more plastic dust).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.