BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone !!
Ive been trying to find websites about changing from Halogen light ( the one I have right now) to Xenon lights.

Is that possible ? can I just go in and change the bulbs ? Or it is some thousand dollar upgrade?

My gf said that my Bimmer does not look like a Bimmer cause it's oxford green.
Usually Bimmers are silver, red, white or black ....so Im just looking for some upgrade that can make my car more distinct !

THANKS ! :yikes:

·
Registered
152 Posts
you need to buy completely new headlight housings (including bulbs and ballasts). it could easily run you close to $1000. you'll also need to get your LCM flashed by the dealer in order for you xenons to work correctly.

·
gashlycrumb
2,550 Posts
Green is probably less common than blue even, but it's a classic color :drive:

Check the site sponsors, some of them have plug and play projector46 housings and bulbs

·
I'm an agent of chaos
3,732 Posts
you need to buy completely new headlight housings (including bulbs and ballasts). it could easily run you close to $1000. you'll also need to get your LCM flashed by the dealer in order for you xenons to work correctly.
This is incorrect. You can swap out halogen bulbs for xenon bulbs, all you have to do is add ballasts and mount them somewhere. A little wire management depending on the kit you buy may be necessary but I got mine in with no experience in under an hour. It cost me less than $150. If your looking for angel eyes with xenons you can get a nice set of projector46s for about $700 and they include everything you need to plug and play.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
This is incorrect. You can swap out halogen bulbs for xenon bulbs, all you have to do is add ballasts and mount them somewhere. A little wire management depending on the kit you buy may be necessary but I got mine in with no experience in under an hour. It cost me less than $150. If your looking for angel eyes with xenons you can get a nice set of projector46s for about $700 and they include everything you need to plug and play.
$600 is a good number. If you do Xenon bulbs without projectors you are potentially endagering other drivers because the light needs to be focused through a projector housing to work as intended. Otherwise it is like blinding others with your high beams all the time, and it doesnt look any different in the day time. So the trained eye will know you did it the cheap way, and that is worse than saving to do it right. It is kind of like this, anything is possible, not all things are prudent.

Oh and if your girlfriend is giving you crap about your car, get a new one. Good cars are hard to replace.....:rofl:

·
1.888.JLEVISW
3,247 Posts
I definitely recommend you go with the Projector46 setup. These are full headlight replacements that swap out the entire assembly for projector based xenons with built in angel eyes. They also come with all of the necessary wiring for the complete install and are backed by our lifetime warranty.

·
I'm an agent of chaos
3,732 Posts
Oh and if your girlfriend is giving you crap about your car, get a new one. Good cars are hard to replace.....:rofl:
LOL, at first I thought you meant get rid of the car and I was like wtf? Yea, they do look like crap except at night but I was able to aim them so they weren't blinding people all the time. I was happy with them when I got them for my 325i. I'm putting projector46s in my 328i. On their site it came out to $700 with 8000k xenons, think I can get them cheaper somewhere else?

·
Properly chastised re: Xi
1,007 Posts
Nick, do the Projector46 kits do "self levelling" the way the OEM ones do? That's one question I wasn't able to figure out from the website product info.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
LOL, at first I thought you meant get rid of the car and I was like wtf? Yea, they do look like crap except at night but I was able to aim them so they weren't blinding people all the time. I was happy with them when I got them for my 325i. I'm putting projector46s in my 328i. On their site it came out to $700 with 8000k xenons, think I can get them cheaper somewhere else?
I have contemplated this time and again. I keep thinking, hoping, and prowling Ebay hoping to find someone who doesnt know what they have and get a deal. I just think $700 is un-justifiable for headlights when mine are working fine. Maybe when I have money to burn.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
yeah, if you get an aftermarket HID kit (which is crap). halogen reflectors will have too narrow a beam pattern for HIDs. on top of that you have a poor cutoff and tons of glare for oncoming drivers. what i was talking about is buying OEM headlights with HIDs.

an alternative is to do a retrofit. (e.g. i used acura TL bi-xenon projectors with hella gen3 ballasts for my HID setup)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I definitely recommend you go with the Projector46 setup. These are full headlight replacements that swap out the entire assembly for projector based xenons with built in angel eyes. They also come with all of the necessary wiring for the complete install and are backed by our lifetime warranty.
i'd be wary using this setup unless the projectors are designed for HIDs and NOT halogens. the projector reflector bowl design is completely different between halogen and HID!!!

the projector46 seems to simply be a halogen projector with an aftermarket HID kit... which is marginally better than using a kit on a halogen reflector but still no where near as good as a retrofit or HID xenons.

·
gashlycrumb
2,550 Posts
i'd be wary using this setup unless the projectors are designed for HIDs and NOT halogens. the projector reflector bowl design is completely different between halogen and HID!!!

the projector46 seems to simply be a halogen projector with an aftermarket HID kit... which is marginally better than using a kit on a halogen reflector but still no where near as good as a retrofit or HID xenons.
The p46 is designed specifically for xenon bulbs, hence the name (they are not halogen-based reflector housings)

·
Registered
152 Posts
The p46 is designed specifically for xenon bulbs, hence the name (they are not halogen-based reflector housings)
hence the name??? do you mean "projector"?

my point was some projectors are designed for HIDs and some for halogens. it's all in how the reflector bowl (of the the projector) is designed.

i'm particularly suspicious because the website offers both HID and halogen options for the same product. if i'm wrong, please let me know... but if i'm not, there are better (and possibly cheaper) solutions to be had.

for example: a set of TSX single-xenon projectors and a set of hella gen3 ballasts can be easily found for under $400... but to each his own.

·
I'm an agent of chaos
3,732 Posts
Hello everyone !!
Ive been trying to find websites about changing from Halogen light ( the one I have right now) to Xenon lights.

Is that possible ? can I just go in and change the bulbs ? Or it is some thousand dollar upgrade?

My gf said that my Bimmer does not look like a Bimmer cause it's oxford green.
Usually Bimmers are silver, red, white or black ....so Im just looking for some upgrade that can make my car more distinct !

THANKS ! :yikes:
I refer back to the OP's question. He didn't ask what you thought was crappy or suitable for his car. He asked what was possible. So to answer that, yes it is possible to upgrade your halogens to Xenons in a wide variety of ways ranging from around $150 to $1000+. Always remember, you get what you pay for. As for the Projector46s, they clearly say on the site that they are projector based xenons with built in angel eyes.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Nick, do the Projector46 kits do "self levelling" the way the OEM ones do? That's one question I wasn't able to figure out from the website product info.
No.. the self leveling feature of the OEM Xenons uses level sensors connected to the front and rear control arms.... not something easy to retrofit.

·
European Auto Source
890 Posts
Take a look at our headlamps made by DEPO... We offer an aggressive price (in a good way) that allows us to sell several headlamp assemblies very very often. Here's a link to find a great price!

DEPO - e46 Coupe/M3 Projector Headlamp Set
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?&products_id=1657

If you have any questions about our product please feel free to ask!

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Thats not bad at all....^^^^

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for for the valuable informations !!!! Some expensive headlights but damn they look so good. Can really spot a bimmer from miles away.

600-700 is not bad ... but what if the bulbs go bad one day . Does that mean Im shedding out another 7 bills ? or replacing the bulbs will be fine since I have the whole projection thing

1 - 20 of 25 Posts