BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you are using a portable hard drive for your music and I would like to do the same. MP3 files don't sound good enough for me, and I'd like to store about 1,800 songs (from my CD collection) using the Apple Lossless format. I use a Mac and this looks like a good drive for me to use because it's small and I believe it has enough storage room for my purposes:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...94/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1322771337&sr=8-10

Questions: Does the F10 USB port have enough juice to power this drive? Are you using this or another small drive like this (6x3.3x1.1 inches, 1lb) that you can recommend? Do you know of any issues that would prevent me from connecting a hard drive to the F10 USB port?

·
Registered
429 Posts
from page 193 of the manual:
Standard audio files can be played back:
* MP3.
* WMA.
* WAV (PCM).
* AAC*, M4A*.
* Playback lists: M3U, WPL, PLS.

Are you sure Apple Lossless Compression files will work? have you tried from a thumb drive?

Also, someone did a comparison of the sound quality from different audio sources and rated the quality - obviously subjective. Search this and maybe f10.5post.com --was at least a few months ago.

Your concern about the power rating of the USB port is justified though the specification should be available somewhere.

I would think a iPod Classic or the older iPod G5.5 which has a well regarded DAC as a better choice for your ALC files.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
You can fit 1800 songs in Apple loss-less format on a 64GB thumb drive. I would recommend that since solid state memory is better for the vibration rich environment of an automobile.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been trying to import M4A files with no luck. Everything seems fine when importing, and I can see all the songs, but when I try to play them nothing happens... the music time counter just stays on 0:00 and no sound. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried importing from 2 different USB drives in the glove compartment...

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,260 Posts
I think Jim E. over on the E70 X5 forum sorted this out. He had an upgraded sound system (better than ZPS) installed in his X5 as an Individual option, and IIRC found the best workable HD solution through trial and error. You could try doing a search of his posts, and/or PM him.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from page 193 of the manual:
Standard audio files can be played back:
* MP3.
* WMA.
* WAV (PCM).
* AAC*, M4A*.
* Playback lists: M3U, WPL, PLS.

Are you sure Apple Lossless Compression files will work? have you tried from a thumb drive?

Also, someone did a comparison of the sound quality from different audio sources and rated the quality - obviously subjective. Search this and maybe f10.5post.com --was at least a few months ago.

Your concern about the power rating of the USB port is justified though the specification should be available somewhere.

I would think a iPod Classic or the older iPod G5.5 which has a well regarded DAC as a better choice for your ALC files.
I have no idea if AL files will work so I'll check from a thumb drive. I now use one with MP3 files. The much better sound quality from a CD vs an MP3 is very noticeable to me. If AL gets to the middle I'd be happy.

You can fit 1800 songs in Apple loss-less format on a 64GB thumb drive. I would recommend that since solid state memory is better for the vibration rich environment of an automobile.
Thanks, I thought I would need something much bigger since the thumb drive I was using filled up instantly when I was using one of the better resolution formats (I don't remember which now).

I think Jim E. over on the E70 X5 forum sorted this out. He had an upgraded sound system (better than ZPS) installed in his X5 as an Individual option, and IIRC found the best workable HD solution through trial and error. You could try doing a search of his posts, and/or PM him.
Thank you. My previous searches did not turn up anything on using hard drives on the F10. Would his conclusions apply to an unmodified F10 with the premium sound system? I will send him a PM as you suggest.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The much better sound quality from a CD vs an MP3 is very noticeable to me.
All you need is to create MP3 files with bitrate of 256 kbps or higher and you will not notice any difference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lossless won't work. I use an Iomega 320gb drive and convert the lossless files to wav for the car. Unfortunately, the drive wouldn't power up in the 2009 550i USB port despite reports that it was supposed to work. Had to have an additional port installed. The drive works just fine in my Panamera without additional power.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lossless won't work. I use an Iomega 320gb drive and convert the lossless files to wav for the car. Unfortunately, the drive wouldn't power up in the 2009 550i USB port despite reports that it was supposed to work. Had to have an additional port installed. The drive works just fine in my Panamera without additional power.
This is helpful, thanks. Now the question is whether the USB port type is the same for 2009 and 2011 (most likely), and how much power the Iomega 320gb requires to run compared to other drives. I now feel the need to do some experimentation with a few of the same songs on the same thumb drive in different formats to see if all the trouble is worth it.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
You can play lossless if you use iPod touch connected via USB or media adaptor.

Otherwise I would just digitize mp3 at highest bitrate with vbr.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tried to play Apple Lossless from a WD "My Passport" 500GB drive (Mac formatted) in my '11 535xi this summer, didn't work. Never got around to deep-dive into why, as 320 AAC from iPhone 4 sounds very good too (with the iPhone docked), and clearly far, far superior to an iPod via the USB. I can only guess why, perhaps the F10 gets a digital signal from the docked iPhone and have a superior onboard DAC? I don't know.

EDIT; the car certainly must have a DAC onboard in any case, as it is able to play DAB and able to play from the onboard HDD.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Increase the bitrate of the MP3's when they encode from your CD.

·
Jack the cat
134 Posts
Have considered this post for some time and expect this might be the best thread.

I have also experimented with using the various ways of listening to music in my 2011 F10. I will discuss each method and raise some problems I have encountered. I want to start by saying I use a MAC which has created some of the problems.

Built in hard drive.
***I have filled the 12 Gb with music by loading each genre separately and then changing the usb 1, 2, etc designation to the genre name through the F10 interface. I also have a genre for newly purchased music which I change often. I have done it this way to save time in updating, rather than having to delete and reload the entire usb stick.
***I do this by creating the genre folders on my Mac and dragging and dropping whole albums from the music folder to the genre folders. Then each genre folder is loaded from the usb to the hard drive.
***Sound quality is OK in spite of the compression, better than satellite. It's nice to have music simply there, as it is on the hard drive. Some albums appear on the hard drive, but will simply not play. No idea why. I delete the albums from the hard drive, but this is annoying.

32 Gb Corsair USB drive
***Files are loaded the same as with the hard drive above. All the genre's are dropped to the Corsair at once. Usb connected in the center arm rest.
***The major problem here is how the Mac handles things. First, a previously used files on the Corsair must by trashed and trash on the Mac must be emptied. Second, the Mac imbeds a lot of hidden files, such as index files, which are recognized by the F10 interface and clutter the interface. I use a widget called "Hidden Files" to seen the files and a free application called "Hidden Files" to delete them.
***The sound quality of this approach is excellent, depending on the bit rate of the media. Initial access time to recognize the Corsair and all the music is a little slow, but no problems after recognition. Hidden files on the usb show up on the F10 interface if not eliminated. The process of dealing with the trash and hidden files is really annoying. And finally, certain files simply will not play from the usb, which is similar to the HD. Do not know why.

iPod
***I am using a second generation nano for now. No file problems here, just sync the iPod and connect to y connecter in the arm rest.
***The sound quality is better than the HD and satellite. Through the IDrive you have access to most of the iPod functionality. Another advantage is this makes use of the iTunes playlists, avoiding having to load entire albums. My iTunes is managed by smart playlists which makes managing the music a breeze through the IDrive.

I would appreciate any comments on any of this, especially any solutions to some of the usb problems mentioned above. Would like to have used this, but the difficulties seem to overshadow the improved sound quality.
Based on my work, the iPod is the best solution. Good sound quality, simple interface.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've been thinking about how I want to put music in the car as well. Sounds like having a dedicated iPod for the car, kept in the glove box, might be the best solution. Question: if you leave the ipod in the car, will it stay charged?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.