BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a hard as there is no way to look it up, but does anyone know if the trans fluid drains back into the trans when you turn your car off. I have noted that when I R/R my radiator little or no trans fluid comes out of the cooler of even the lines. I am wanting to add some Trans X and I was hoping I could just do it through the lines. It will only be a few OZ's, so not worried about overfill, just wondering if it will just slid down the top line, or if it will just hit the trans fluid in that line and come back out?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Just the simple fact that the radiator and trans cooler is mounted higher then the trans means there would be some drain down of the cooler, yes. I've changed radiators that have lost very little trans fluid and I've also done a few that looked like a massacre happened during open heart surgery.

Not familiar with the auto trans in the E34, but isn't there a dipstick tube to add the fluid or transX to?

... just wondering if it will just slid down the top line, or if it will just hit the trans fluid in that line and come back out?
Can't decipher what you're asking here.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish

Just the simple fact that the radiator and trans cooler is mounted higher then the trans means there would be some drain down of the cooler, yes. I've changed radiators that have lost very little trans fluid and I've also done a few that looked like a massacre happened during open heart surgery.

Not familiar with the auto trans in the E34, but isn't there a dipstick tube to add the fluid or transX to?

I wish! BMW decided NOT to put a dip stick on these transmissions :eek: I am guessing so the owner wouldn't put the wrong trans fluid in it. If it had a dip stick I could drain and refill as often as I wanted too, but now, if I want to change the fluid I have to hope I can get the 22 year old drain and fill plugs out. To make matters worse, they have a small allen wrench type hole that rounds off, instead of a bolt head that would make life sooooo easy. I guess they are still getting even for WW2 :cry:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dip Stick

Here is a guy who makes a dip stick kit for many cars. It is getting close to 200 bucks with shipping and insurance, but still worth it IMO. I am considering making my own kit, not so much for checking, but more for making changing the fluid easy. If I had a dip stick, I would gladly change my fluid every 30K :)

http://www.meurosport.com/5HP24_Dip_Stick.php

·
Registered
688 Posts
To properly change automatic trans fluid you remove the transmission pan, replace the filter and pan gasket and retorque the pan into place. Transmissions without a dipstick tube have a fill plug on the side of the transmission case. Remove the plug and use a hand pump or drill pump and tubes to refill the trans back to the factory capacity.

In the most extreme cases I undo a transmission cooler line and slip on rubber hose over the lines and let the hoses hang down into catch cans. Start the engine and let the transmission pump it's old fluid out of one end of the line while I'm simultaneously adding new fluid to the other end of the now open cooler line with a funnel. Do this until the fluid being pumped out is clean and new looking. Then proceed with the pan drop, filter change and refill of new fluid.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pump

I have R/R many radiators in my years as a mechanic, had the same results as you, some, no fluid, some lots of fluid. I am guessing it is caused by some pumps having a one way flow that keeps the fluid from draining back into the trans regardless of the radiator being higher then the trans. What I am trying to "decipher" here, is my trans one of those?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
To properly change automatic trans fluid you remove the transmission pan, replace the filter and pan gasket and retorque the pan into place. Transmissions without a dipstick tube have a fill plug on the side of the transmission case. Remove the plug and use a hand pump or drill pump and tubes to refill the trans back to the factory capacity.

In the most extreme cases I undo a transmission cooler line and slip on rubber hose over the lines and let the hoses hang down into catch cans. Start the engine and let the transmission pump it's old fluid out of one end of the line while I'm simultaneously adding new fluid to the other end of the now open cooler line with a funnel. Do this until the fluid being pumped out is clean and new looking. Then proceed with the pan drop, filter change and refill of new fluid.
Yes, I watched a video on that on a Honda, unfortunately I don't have a Honda, or any other model where that might be a good Idea, and if I followed your first advice, I would be replacing my transmission in no time. On the BMW you have to have the car perfectly level. You have to heat the trans fluid up to the exact recommended temperature before finishing the refill. Then you have to add the fluid while the car is running and the trans fluid is at that temperature and fill till it starts to run out of the fill hole, install the plug. Now it is best to cycle through the gears. Then you wait while the car is still running as the new fluid heats up and take the plug back out and wait till stops dripping out of the hole, or top off if not dripping. Its not a Ford or Buick.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Change

The reason I said I would change it more often if it had a dipstick is the procedure would be a lot easer. I could just slid a drain pan under it and drain the old fluid out, then put the plug back in. Measure how much came out and pour that much back through the dip stick tube. Run the car till fluid is 140%, move through the gears, check the dipstick and add some if needed. In the very unlikely event it had too much in it I could just let some out through the drain hole. I wouldn't even have to jack it up, just park on level ground. Without the dipstick, you have to do all that pumping in, burning your hand trying to get to the fill plug, which means getting the car up in the air and perfectly level, (I don't have a lift, so thats no fun). The dipstick would just make life soooo much easer :)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Small clarification on trans fluid temp; generally the instructions state not to let the fluid warm too much while filling so as not to under-fill it do to expansion of said fluid. Yes there is technically a window, but the lower threshold is pretty much a non-concern by the time the engine is running for even a minute or two. Well, unless you're laying on frozen ground trying to do it I suppose.

FWIW, I agree it would be great to have a dip-stick for the ZF trans, but $150 & ~$20 to ship? That's a flipping ridiculous price. I would be curious to know the actual number sold, given you can buy used transmissions for that much or less. And that's coming from someone who's dealt with changing the fluid on my trans, which is not too different from the HP24 in that respect. I absolutely hated trying to manage the mess and get a proper fill, and make no mistake, it is a flipping mess to do at home. I probably dropped half a quart while doing the shifting back and forth, blah blah blah...

A big help for me, was having one of those 2' by 3' metal pans from the auto parts store. At least you can catch some of what spills, pour it through a coffee filter and not waste it, or even just minimize the mess. Of course, I was trying not to waste some moderately expensive Fuchs.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Small clarification on trans fluid temp; generally the instructions state not to let the fluid warm too much while filling so as not to under-fill it do to expansion of said fluid. Yes there is technically a window, but the lower threshold is pretty much a non-concern by the time the engine is running for even a minute or two. Well, unless you're laying on frozen ground trying to do it I suppose.

FWIW, I agree it would be great to have a dip-stick for the ZF trans, but $150 & ~$20 to ship? That's a flipping ridiculous price. I would be curious to know the actual number sold, given you can buy used transmissions for that much or less. And that's coming from someone who's dealt with changing the fluid on my trans, which is not too different from the HP24 in that respect. I absolutely hated trying to manage the mess and get a proper fill, and make no mistake, it is a flipping mess to do at home. I probably dropped half a quart while doing the shifting back and forth, blah blah blah...

A big help for me, was having one of those 2' by 3' metal pans from the auto parts store. At least you can catch some of what spills, pour it through a coffee filter and not waste it, or even just minimize the mess. Of course, I was trying not to waste some moderately expensive Fuchs.
Thanks TE. Mine didn't have the sticker, just ATF only embossed in the cap. So do you think I am fine with the Transmax import fluid (6 bucks), or do you thing I need the CHF (20 bucks) as I am pretty sure ZF made the power steering pump?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Watched my sticker float away one day while spraying my engine bay down at the car wash. I wouldn't substitute, but I may be alone in that sentiment. I just don't see why, sure you'll save some money now, sounds like around $40, maybe. However, I guess considering you don't know what's in it, nor for how long it's been ran, what diff will it likely make?I'm just not a "take a chance" guy, certainly not for what I could spend having dinner in one night.

FWIW, my opinion comes from feeding that once leaking summovawitch system about one of those $20 quarts, every week or two at its worst point. So don't think that I take it lightly. Maybe, I've just never heard why one way and not the other along with accompanied facts.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Watched my sticker float away one day while spraying my engine bay down at the car wash. I wouldn't substitute, but I may be alone in that sentiment. I just don't see why, sure you'll save some money now, sounds like around $40, maybe. However, I guess considering you don't know what's in it, nor for how long it's been ran, what diff will it likely make?I'm just not a "take a chance" guy, certainly not for what I could spend having dinner in one night.

FWIW, my opinion comes from feeding that once leaking summovawitch system about one of those $20 quarts, every week or two at its worst point. So don't think that I take it lightly. Maybe, I've just never heard why one way and not the other along with accompanied facts.
Well I am commited to putting the right stuff in when I flush the whole system soon, I just still dont know what the right stuff is? Since mine came with a GM trans, if it does require trans fluid, does that mean GM trans fluid or ZF? And if I put CHF 11s in it and it supposed to have trans fluid instead, will that cause a problem, or is CHF11s OK for all P/S pumps? Just trying to do it right and do it once :)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Sorry, I should have continued the steering talk on your steering fluid thread. I'll stick to trans stuff here.. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts