BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I am a relatively new (and happy) owner of an 04 330i ZHP with Steptronic. I have been doing lots of research and have learned a lot from this and other forums about this car.

I been trying the different shift modes and am experiencing an issue that I don't know is normal or not. When I select S D for sport mode and I start off under full acceleration the tach needle climbs fast (as it should) and gets to over the 6800 redline. I immediately get nervous and let off the gas. The transmission shifts very abruptly at that point. I don't know about the rest of the shift points as I calm down on the acceleration after that. :)

My question is whether this is normal behavior. I thought the fuel would cut off at the redline to protect the engine, but it doesn't. I would think it would shift better or am I guilty of premature decceleration? :)
I am looking forward to participating in BMW Club driving events and learning how to drive this car closer to its limits.

Thanks for your help.

Chip

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Step is a semi-auto trans, i.e., it will upshift whether you want it to or not....however, most ZHP/Step owners here report upshifting at max throttle at slightly less than redline....yours would seem to be an unusual case. Try keeping the pedal floored a little longer to see where the actual shift point occurs (or you hit the limiter)....these engines can certainly tolerate at least 7000 RPMs with no problems, so you`re not gonna hurt anything.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
243 Posts
SD mode allows you to goto redline? thats news to me. Mine shifts way before redline no matter how hard i push it.... unless your talking about M mode........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob, Thanks for the input. I hope you are right about not hurting anything. :)

ZHPEE, It wasn't in M mode because when I released the accelerator, it upshifted hard and then I accelerated normally and it shifted at higher points than normal, but still shifted automatically.

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
i don't think you hurt anything either......

·
Registered
182 Posts
some autos let you redline... when i floor it in my dad's ML500 it'll actually shift at the redline, thats just in whatever mode its in normally too

·
Registered
108 Posts
I tried this today. In SD mode, if I hit the gas hard enough, it will go all the way right on the redline then shift. I let off in manual mode from the exit ramp and punched the gas. In first gear the rpms go up extremely fast and being used to a toyota I didn't shift in time and the car acted funny, I felt a loss of power and the car upshifted, upshifted again because I didn't realize it had done it for me, which is why it felt so powerless. I doubt there would be much of a reason to go past redline. My car really feels a rush at 5,000 rpm and Ill shift shortly after that.

BMWs are tuned nearly tip top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts