BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I have a 2004 325i BMW automatic. I recently have had some serious issues that have randomly sprung on me. First off my car has ~126,000 miles on it and has a pretty good history. So my issues started about 3 weeks ago when I was out driving the car and it was seeming to break really hard even when I was slightly pressing the breaks. Almost as if the breaks were locking up randomly and then letting go. It was pretty scary as I thought something was seriously wrong. So I stopped by to have my dad ride along and see what he thought. Started the car with him in it and took it for a little spin, nothing happen the car was driving just fine. So we thought it might of been some weird kink with a computer or something and the restart resolved it. Another day or two goes by and I start my to leave for work and the same thing, this time it shifted in the Drive kinda hard and then was breaking weird. So I once again turned it off and let it sit for about 3 mins and started it again and the problem was gone. So this gradually started to increase, by this time I started to do some research but it was to no avail. Now the transmission gear light comes on usually after I put it in park.

This is where it gets kinda interesting, when I start the car I can usually pop it in gear and take off but only when I get to my destination and put it in park the transmission light comes on and then I can hear a slight humming noise coming from the car. If I try to drive it in this "limp home mode" the car shifts really hard and is almost undrivable. The thing that gets me is that I can usually get the car to start up and start driving fine unless that light is on, and if it is on I can usually let the car sit while off and restart it and go again.

So currently my car is in the shop and they are baffled, the transmission is not giving off any codes. They replaced a hose that was bad and was causing the car the run lean and they were hoping that could have something to do with it but no dice. They are going to look into it more but I was hoping someone here might of had a similar experience and or could offer and help or advice.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,334 Posts
At the top of the Forum page, you will see Sticky Threads. The two you should be concerned with are the Auto Trans thread, and the E46 Wiki.

You`ll find a lot of info there. :thumbup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts