BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, ok before anyone has a rant, i admit this might be a simple maintenance question but as i've never encountered such a problem before, am in need of some valuable ideas.

I've got a 316i and well, when it drives, its a dream, but a problem that i've got is when i try to put it into gear, its kinda hard, not jerky or anything, but just hard, needs quite a lot of pressure to put it into gear. Now my mind tells me its just a matter of oiling the gears maybe as I bought it from a guy who said it had been sitting over 6 months. I have NO IDEA how to oil the gears, so can someone kindly please shed some light on this? Thanks a lot.

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
You can't just 'oil' the gears, you may need new transmission fluid/oil though. Is it every gear, or just reverse? If reverse is hard, that's totally normal because it is designed to be hard to select so you don't put it in reverse by accident.

It's also normal for it to be hard to put it into first when you are rolling along at more than say 5-10mph. It'll feel crunchy and not quite right and you should avoid it. It's because first gear has a high crankshaft RPM to driveshaft RPM ratio, meaning there is a greater speed differential between engine RPM and essentially the wheel rotation. Because the gearbox has to take a high RPM speed in from the crankshaft, but convert that to a slow driveshaft RPM before the bevel in the differential diverts that to the wheels at 90 degrees, worn syncromesh or gears is more of a problem for engaging the gear. It is harder to match up the gearteeth because of the different RPM involved, so wear and tear has more of a significant impact. In 5th gear the ratio is 1:1, so engine crankshaft RPM matches driveshaft RPM, meaning more available power because less work is lost in the conversion of engine power to wheels. A slight lesson there, actually just go and buy a book on how cars work, it's very interesting! 6th gear would be an overdrive gear, not straight-through like 5th gear. The lower the gear ratio, the longer the gear, therefore the slower the engine RPM climbs compared to how quickly the vehicle speed climbs. You also have to factor in the differential ratio too. Basically it goes engine > crankshaft > gearbox > driveshaft > differential > wheels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks a lot BMW for that insightful writing. Sorry for sounding like such an idiot when i mentioned 'oil' lol. And i pretty much get what you're saying there, and yeah reverse is very hard and 1st is hard too but not as much. I just love the Vauxhall gears and thought my one would be similar if not better as its a better car n all, well i'll take it one step at a time, thanks a lot though!

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
Vauxhall gears are crap! The gearboxes feel tight when the cars are new, but they feel lightweight and probably feel awful at high mileage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol i've only driven a corsa and an astra, the corsa was my gf's, just over 1 year old but the gear change felt like a DREAM, the astra was about 3 years old and loved it still. However, seeing how old my car is, I guess they'd not hold up anything like a BMW so in comparison, they're probably worse off but when new, or 'newish', they do feel good to me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The other side of things is when transmissions are worn they get harder to put into gear and you'll find yourself grinding gears alot.... sounds to me like your tranny is going to die soon.... When your tranny doesn't have enoug oil it will be harder to put into gear, and will make a whining noise because the gears are constantly rubing together.... If and when you do change the oil I would go with Royal Purple.... Personaly I think it is the best oil out there.... So I guess it's up in te air.... What I would do is change the oil and see if that does anything and then go from there....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot Fox, so basically use the Royal Purple after bleeding the remainder of the existing stuff or can i just add some royal purple? Ideally i know i'd wnna drain it but I dont wnna run to the mechs just for this little work so i'm gnna give it a try to bleed the transmission myself first, and then add the royal purple

·
Registered
103 Posts
let me get some advice from my dad he is a mechanic... Because I dont think there is a bleeding process.... I believe that you empty out the old and clean it then put in the new.... but I will repost as soon as I talk to my dad....

·
Registered
103 Posts
ok.... heres the low down.... the clutch you have to bleed.... the transmission you don't have to.... the tranny should last forever if you dont grind gears.... so.... the clutch should be the only thing that goes out....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah wicked! thanks a lot bud. I'm struggling just to get a new alarm as it is n if i had to get an expensive transmission system, i'd probably have scrapped the car in a few months. Just saved me a lot of headache mate, cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts