BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a post about a member taping into the overhead console, which is what i will do but anyone know if that wire stays active for another 20 mins or so after the car is turned off, like some fuses do?

My dashcam has the parking feature where it will time-lapse record (1 frame per second) so it will be cool to have it record until car goes to sleep. Just wondering what wires/fuses to use. I dont have that knowledge like some of you on here do :) :thumbup:

Thanks.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,084 Posts
I know there is a post about a member taping into the overhead console, which is what i will do but anyone know if that wire stays active for another 20 mins or so after the car is turned off, like some fuses do?

My dashcam has the parking feature where it will time-lapse record (1 frame per second) so it will be cool to have it record until car goes to sleep. Just wondering what wires/fuses to use. I dont have that knowledge like some of you on here do :) :thumbup:

Thanks.
Dunno...but there is a product that hangs on the power line and actually stores its own power to keep the camera running 8-12+ hours. I believe an Li-ion battery. This way you get the protection but it cannot drain your battery, cause parasitic drain, etc...

Edit: Here is one: https://www.amazon.com/LUKAS-LK-530-12V-Battery-Potable-Blackbox/dp/B00CHYKOD0

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is what I'm doing now to test this setup. Camera hooked up to my 2200mah power bank and that's being charged by the cigarette lighter. When i turn the car off the light on the power bank changes, meaning its not being charged anymore but the camera is still recording.
After i confirm this is recording like it should and doesn't cause any issues, i will hardwired the charger to the power bank and hide it all.

EDIT: OK never mind this didnt work, the power bank died pretty quick. I will get a power box and hardwire it at some point.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts