BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1998 Z3 that I am planning to sell. It has a hardtop. What are your thoughts on selling the hardtop and car separately? What are the true prices on hardtops in very good condition with all the mounting hardware? I have seen them from 2K to 3K. The car is a 1.9 with 110,000 in good condition. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been looking for a hardtop for some time now. The prices you quote seem to be what I see. I might spring for one if the color matched my car. Painting adds more expence. You could price the car 2 ways, 1 without the top, the 2nd with the top. Not sure how long you would have to sit on that top before it gets sold. I live in Wisconsin, so a hardtop would really be handy for me. Just have other stuff to blow 2K on with better returns. Best of luck Mike.

·
The Arkleyologist
589 Posts
It has been my experience that most potential buyers do not want the hardtop...these buyers seem to be all about "wind in your face" driving. I would remove the hardtop and the "B pilar" attachment brackets and sell separately. You will be money ahead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments. I was leaning to advertise the top and car separately. I post it in the classified section a couple of months ago if anybody wants to take a look.

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,137 Posts
It has been my experience that most potential buyers do not want the hardtop...these buyers seem to be all about "wind in your face" driving. I would remove the hardtop and the "B pilar" attachment brackets and sell separately. You will be money ahead.
The first Z3 that I looked at on a Ford used car lot had a hard top. On a dolly, leaned against the back of the car lot office. I was not expecting it, did not want to use it, had no way of transporting it, no place to store it, no way to put it on and off myself, and -- did not want to pay more for the car for it.

·
The Arkleyologist
589 Posts
This is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt...I love the Z3 hardtop..both the appearance and the functionality. Having owned two Z3 coupes it is my opinion that the roadster with the hardtop is a much more quiet car than the Z3 coupe. I think the roadster with the hardtop gives the Z3 a great look and makes the highway drive so much quieter and stable. (my subjective impression on the stability) Having said this, I have always been a hardtop guy (gen1 Miata etc.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts