BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Harman Kardon acoustic enhancement (speaker button): On or Off?

• On.... it kicks a lot o' ass

Votes: 54 79.4%
  • Off.... it sounds like doo doo

Votes: 14 20.6%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I always had thought the button was there to refresh and distribute better amplification through all 12 speakers.

IMO, it sounds just a tad better - kind of seems like it is turning on an addional speaker set/tweeter for greater audible clarity. I leave mine on.... I doesn't hurt does it:dunno:

·
Registered
954 Posts
From what I can tell (and correct me if I am wrong) this button turns up rear speakers that are focused to bounce of the front windshield. I think this draws the sound toward the rear and makes the imaging more fuzzy. I have never liked rear speakers in cars. After all at home, a true 2 channel stereo arrangement is just speakers in front of you.

I vote keep it off.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Wow, most of you are actually saying to turn it off. This is a button to enhance your listening experience!

You would figure with all those speakers and subs around you in that small cabin, that you would get an amazing sound. Sometimes I feel that it's muffled at times even when adjusting the bass and the treble.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good system, but for some reason, the Bose and Mark Levinson systems out there sound a lot better.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
I turn it off when I'm listening to talk or news stations, and turn it on for music.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
I like the spatial enhancement effect most of the time. I usually turn it off if I'm listening to anything I've been a part of creating, however, since it does seem to affect the overall mix of the music -- and I get far too ANALytical when listening to my own stuff. :D

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Plaz said:
I like the spatial enhancement effect most of the time. I usually turn it off if I'm listening to anything I've been a part of creating, however, since it does seem to affect the overall mix of the music -- and I get far too ANALytical when listening to my own stuff. :D
Your own stuff - do you mean amateur or pro?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The more I listen to it, the more I like it with the acoustic enhancement turned off. It seems to me when the enhancement is on, the sound is coming from somewhere to the right of the driver... and when it's off, it seems that you can "hear" the drivers side door handle speaker better.

It seems in audiophile land, more often than not people try to keep their tone controls flat and avoid any effects that color the music in any way.

I think i vote off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
BMW is smart, this is their ploy:

While the H/K Button is off, the radio is set to play the music in crappy quality, thus making the speakers sound like they're missing something.

But when the H/K button is turned on, the radio plays at the level/quality it's supposed play at, thus making the driver (consumer) think that the extra $$$ they paid for the H/K upgrade is worth it.

Agree/Disagree?

_Faheem

·
Registered
104 Posts
The button just configuren the frequencies to your speakers.
When the button is ON al low frequencies are filtered out of the other speakers, and send to the sub. When u put it off... the subs are deactivated, and the low frequencies are send to the regular speakers. It is possible to change the frequency range of any speaker in the car, don't know how anymore...but it is possible.

Greetz

·
Registered
954 Posts
Raptox said:
The button just configuren the frequencies to your speakers.
When the button is ON al low frequencies are filtered out of the other speakers, and send to the sub. When u put it off... the subs are deactivated, and the low frequencies are send to the regular speakers. It is possible to change the frequency range of any speaker in the car, don't know how anymore...but it is possible.

Greetz
I don't think this is correct. I never have the button on and the subs still work. Also pushing the button has no affect on the subs or woofers in my car. It really seems to affect the mid to high frequencies in the rear speakers. Here is what the manual says the button does:

Press the button to activate and deactivate
the acoustic enhancement.
The system creates the acoustic
impression of a much larger passenger
compartment accompanied by
improved stereophonic sound at all
seating positions.
The system responds to poor reception
conditions by repeatedly alternating
between the stereo and monophonic
modes. You should then switch the
system off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Aha, so it just changes the frequencies.
Anyway, I put it always on !

I have the impression that the HK in the E46 2002 sounds much beter than in the original E46.

Greetz

TranceLvr said:

I don't think this is correct. I never have the button on and the subs still work. Also pushing the button has no affect on the subs or woofers in my car. It really seems to affect the mid to high frequencies in the rear speakers. Here is what the manual says the button does:

Press the button to activate and deactivate
the acoustic enhancement.
The system creates the acoustic
impression of a much larger passenger
compartment accompanied by
improved stereophonic sound at all
seating positions.
The system responds to poor reception
conditions by repeatedly alternating
between the stereo and monophonic
modes. You should then switch the
system off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.