BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do they compare to Kumho?

· Old, Slow, and Havin' Fun
181 Posts
Late last year, a guy showed up with a set on an M roadster for an event in South Carolina. I never saw the tire, but that is what he said they were.

He was about a second behind my 1.9 with Hoosiers.

I don't think this was his first autocross, but I don't think he was a regular in the region, either. So I can't vouch for his driving ability or experience.

That's all I know.

· Empowered Consumer
4,177 Posts
JByrd said:
Late last year, a guy showed up with a set on an M roadster for an event in South Carolina. I never saw the tire, but that is what he said they were.

He was about a second behind my 1.9 with Hoosiers.

I don't think this was his first autocross, but I don't think he was a regular in the region, either. So I can't vouch for his driving ability or experience.

That's all I know.
I'm still trying to figure out what conclusions I can draw from this. If our early discoverers had used this scientific method, we'd still be rubbing sticks together trying to get something to happen. :p

Alex

181 Posts
BahnBaum said:
I'm still trying to figure out what conclusions I can draw from this. If our early discoverers had used this scientific method, we'd still be rubbing sticks together trying to get something to happen. :p

Alex
Don't try to rub them too hard, Alex. There's no science to be found.

ronsz3 asked if anyone had any experience with Yoko R comps, and that's my experience.

I would expect to be beaten by an M Roadster with R comps that was running in my same run group, so my conclusion is this:

1 He couldn't drive very well - or -
2 The tires stink when compared to Hoosiers (and probably Kumhos, too.)

And... I really don't know which.

That's all - simply that.

· Empowered Consumer
4,177 Posts
JByrd said:
Don't try to rub them too hard, Alex. There's no science to be found.

ronsz3 asked if anyone had any experience with Yoko R comps, and that's my experience.

I would expect to be beaten by an M Roadster with R comps that was running in my same run group, so my conclusion is this:

1 He couldn't drive very well - or -
2 The tires stink when compared to Hoosiers (and probably Kumhos, too.)

And... I really don't know which.

That's all - simply that.
My initial reaction when I read your post was that tires manufactured by the holy creator wouldn't make up for a bad driver.

But I was just funnin' ya with my post. I should have made the smilies more prominent.

Alex

181 Posts
BahnBaum said:
My initial reaction when I read your post was that tires manufactured by the holy creator wouldn't make up for a bad driver.

But I was just funnin' ya with my post. I should have made the smilies more prominent.

Alex
:rofl: I'm pretty sure the Yokos weren't made by the holy creator, nor was he driving the M!

later

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just trying to gather info ASAP since I'm looking to buy new wheels and tires right away. Also wasn't sure where was the best place to post.
BTW- thanks for your feedback- it is appreciated.

· into things retro
4,777 Posts
Until they come out the 048 in our size, believe it or not, we've been using the A032R in the 'S' compound for club racing. Not the best tire for a sprint race - heat up quick and are about as quick as Hoosiers for the first couple of laps - but then they fall off a little and stay at that level for the rest of the session (half hour).

Yokohama markets it as an autocross tire and it should do fine for that usage. We're really using them beyond what they are recommended, but we still do okay. Because they heat up so quick compared to other race tires, the drivers usually jump people on the couple of laps and then are using their skill to keep their position after that.

You wouldn't happen to use 245/40x17s would you? I know somebody that has a garage full of used (1 race day) sets :eeps:

· M Mad
10,530 Posts
A048 might not be a good idea, unless your tire budget is HUGE. The Spec Racer went to this tire last year when Yoko stopped making the A008.

The A048 is best, by a good bit, on the FIRST heat cycle. Then they start declining. Front of the grid is running 2 -3 sets per WEEKEND. NOT cheap.

Yoko is supposed to start tire testing SOON to find a replacement, or the Spec Racer may have to go to another tire manufacturer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.