Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in a parking garage last night, and as I was driving up the inclines, I could hear a creaking/groaning sound. This only happened when changing from a flat surface to an inclined surface, for example, when the left 2 wheels were on the incline surface and the right two wheels were on the flat surface. Is this from the suspension? and is this normal?

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
I cannot say it is normal, however, springs do croak sometimes. Note you were driving in basicall a box. Ever notice how loud you sound in a tunnel or next to a median or barrier. I am not calling it normal, but every little sound will be 10x easier to detect in a garage or tunnel. I would guess it is your springs flexing and nothing else, dont hold me to that though.

·
5,820 Posts
I've noticed it when the car gets into a twisting type situation like you describe, but I have a convertible and expect it once in a while.

T

·
0 Posts
My ex-330i creaked from day 1 when pulling into my driveway (which is on an incline and forces the car to flex a bit).

Strangely, my E36 doesn't creak pulling in. Maybe it was the fold-down seats rubbing since I assume both cars are flexing a bit.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
The loudest thing I hear in parking garages is what I think is the exhaust flap opening/closing... it's an irritatingly loud "*CLACK*."

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
probably rear springs. when my car was new I noticed the creek noise when getting out of the car and I'm not a heavy guy. I pushed up on the car to rock it again to duplicate the noise and it came from the rear springs. noise went away after 500 miles but I'm sure there are others just around the corner which will pop up any day now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts