BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 540i was sidelined for a couple days while I replaced some dash bulbs. I was checking things out under the hood and noticed that the intake boot had some huge cracks in it. The plastic at the edge of the cracks crumbles when I touch it. I thought mice might have attacked it at first, but the edges seem oxidized ... and there are more cracks on the other side of the boot as well.

I replaced this boot a number of years ago, and I believe I used an OE BMW part (it has a roundel logo as well as the words "Geiger Technik"). Obviously they aren't nearly as durable as M20 and M30 boots.
View attachment 571676

A new one is on order from FCP -- maybe I'll be able to use their lifetime guarantee six or seven years from now. :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Oem

My 540i was sidelined for a couple days while I replaced some dash bulbs. I was checking things out under the hood and noticed that the intake boot had some huge cracks in it. The plastic at the edge of the cracks crumbles when I touch it. I thought mice might have attacked it at first, but the edges seem oxidized ... and there are more cracks on the other side of the boot as well.

I replaced this boot a number of years ago, and I believe I used an OE BMW part (it has a roundel logo as well as the words "Geiger Technik"). Obviously they aren't nearly as durable as M20 and M30 boots.
View attachment 571676

A new one is on order from FCP -- maybe I'll be able to use their lifetime guarantee six or seven years from now. :D
My OEM that came on the car did the exact same thing, it was 18 years old, but crumbled to the touch. I replaced it and the new one is fine so far, I guess just the heat and age of the plastic on the old one killed it. My XK8 Jaguar did the same thing, but it took less years, it died in 10 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts