Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chivas said:
interesting price....
get one and report back. thanks! :D
I was thinking about it but wanted to see what others think first. :thumbup:

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
Good price, possibly even authentic, BUT you notice no calipers are included. If you are not changing the calipers, you're pretty much wasting your time. Maybe the rotors will take 5-10 feet off your 100-0mph distance, but that doesn't add up to must in daily driving. Just buy yourself a good set of pads and keep you stock brakes, or upgrade to a real front BBK - from StopTech.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Palantirion said:
Good price, possibly even authentic, BUT you notice no calipers are included. If you are not changing the calipers, you're pretty much wasting your time. Maybe the rotors will take 5-10 feet off your 100-0mph distance, but that doesn't add up to must in daily driving. Just buy yourself a good set of pads and keep you stock brakes, or upgrade to a real front BBK - from StopTech.
I agree with you 100%. Thanks for bringing me back to my senses.:thumbup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
FYI.. something to consider:
Front Brake Pad Set, 530i (2001-03), 540i/Touring (1996-03), Each Brand: Mintex Part # 34-11-6-761-252-M168 $59.25
Rear Brake Pad Set, BMW E39 5 Series, All Except M5 Brand: Mintex Part #34-21-6-761-281-M168 $31.75

Prices above are from Pelican Parts.com Mintex is made by the same company as Pagid and Textar who are both OE mfgs. FYI- Mintex is not an OE supplier for anyone. That said, I have heard MANY comments about them both positive and negative. I have personally used them on my 89 325ic and they work just fine. Others I know would NEVER put them on any car. I hate to be ambiguous but I've really heard both sides of the argument eaqually as adiment. As for the rotors, as far as I know, Brembo does not make a slotted, cross drilled rotor for this application. The slotting and cross drilling has likely been done by the seller. [I'll look into this some more] What this means is, someone is machining the rotors themselves. This is not always a good thing. Often when a non crossdrilled rotor is dirlled, the drilling is not always in between the vanes of the casting. This is not good. True cross drilled rotors are cast that way to insure the holes are in between the cast vanes. Just something to think about. OH.. and by the way.. standard Brembo rotors for this applications [while not as cool looking but just as effective] are as follows:

Front Brake Disc, 525i/Touring (2001-03), 528i/Touring (1997-00), Brand: Brembo Part # 34-11-6-767-061-M72 $66.25 Each
Rear Brake Disc, BMW E39 5 Series, All Except M5, Brand: Brembo Part # 34-21-6-767-060-M72 $55.75 Each

So basically, for $110 less, you can get the same deal from a reputable source. Just won't look as cool but will perform exactly the same.

Now if you're dead set on cross drilled.. heres a much better options.. .these are made by Zimmerman and they are a very good mfg, [Equally as good as Brembo] Zimmerman casts the holes into the rotor so no drilling through the vanes by accident

[Zimmerman] Cross Drilled Front Brake Disc, 525i/Touring (2001-03), 528i/Touring (1997-00), Brand: Cross-drilled Part# 34-11-6-767-061-M367 $80.75 Each

[Zimmerman] Cross Drilled Rear Brake Disc, BMW E39 5 Series, All Except M5, Brand: Cross-drilled Part # 34-21-6-767-060-M367 $79.25 Each

All for only $80 more than standard vented, still cheaper than the ebay option.

Throw in some sensors for :

Front Brake Pad Sensor, BMW E39 5 Series, All Brand: PEX Part # 34-35-2-229-018-M163 $12.75

Rear Brake Pad Sensor, BMW E39 5 Series, All Except Touring Models Brand: PEX Part # 34-35-1-163-066-M163 $11.75

Total is still about $20 cheper than ebay option with free shipping. Add in the shipping for the ebay option [it was $57.95 in my case] and your way ahead. Check it out for yourself at www.pelicanparts.com

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
Just remember that drilled rotors are prone to cracking from heat cycles and smooth or slotted are not. Slotted are best for performance, drilled are just for bling.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is true, however it depends on the rotor and driving conditions. I had 'Big Reds' on my Porsche Track car and I used factory 993 Twin Turbo rotors that have more holes than most cross drilled rotors I've seen. They did developed hair line cracks between the holes from all the hard driving in race condistions and the extra hard compound racing pads. That said, the cracks didn't effect the braking.

For regular street use, cracking is less likely to happen with a rotor like the Zimmerman since it has far fewer holes and the holes are spaced further appart with more matieral between each hole. I'm not saying that it's impossible for the Zimmermans to crack with street use, just less likely. I had Zimmerman Cross drilled rotors [just like the ones mentioned above] on the rear of my Porsche track car and they didnt have problems with cracking like the fronts did. [granted the rear does less braking.]

My only hesitation with slotted rotors is be sure you get them from a reputable source and manufacture. Many people just machine slots into standard rotors that weren't designed for it.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
VCOUI said:
This is true, however it depends on the rotor and driving conditions. I had 'Big Reds' on my Porsche Track car and I used factory 993 Twin Turbo rotors that have more holes than most cross drilled rotors I've seen. They did developed hair line cracks on just about each and ever hole from all the racing and the racing pads. For regular street use, that is less likely to happen with a rotor like the Zimmerman with far fewer holes and there for more space and material between each hole. Not saying that it's impossible, just less likely. I had Zimmerman Cross drilled rotors [just like the ones mentioned above] on the rear of my Porsche track car and they didnt have problems with cracking like the fronts did. [granted the rear does less braking.]
-Very interesting. Makes sense.

VCOUI said:
My only hesitation with slotted rotors is be sure you get them from a reputable source and manufacture. Many people just machine slots into standard rotors that weren't designed for it. To be honest, when it comes to evacuating gases, the slotted rotor works just as well as a cross drilled. The reason for crossdrilling in the first place was for weight reduction, not gas dispersal. Porsche was the first to do this with the 917 back in the 60's and it was all about reducing unsprung weight. The gas dispersal was just an extra added benefit.
-Good point. I was thinking of StopTech's slotted vs. Brembo's (Dinan's) cross-drilled. I wouldn't buy cheap brakes regardless of their configuration!

·
Registered
265 Posts
LOL ...looks like I got caught editing myself. :rofl: I ended up shortening my post after you quoted me... Ooops... same point though. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was going to buy this brake kit.......but after research, decided not.

They are authentic Brembo rotors, but the are not Brembo Drilled and slotted.

A company by the name of Design Rotor Technolgy http://www.designrt.net/ machines and resells them with a 30 day warranty.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
AZ-528i said:

A company by the name of Design Rotor Technolgy http://www.designrt.net/ machines and resells them with a 30 day warranty.
Hmmm, yeah, used brakes, I think I'll pass.

·
Registered
265 Posts
AZ-528i said:

For what it's worth, I would think twice about anyone who offers a 30 warranty. Standard factory warranty is 12months or 12,000 miles. Problem is, they have machined these themselves and therefore voided the factory warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts