BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure someone will chime in with 'drive the car the way it's meant to be driven', so I'll just throw that out first. Now...

I know 400 is easily attainable on the freeway. 450 is a great number to hit. 500 has been the previous magic number. Someone claims to average >37mpg cruising at 55mph, but has anyone done 600?

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
What an intriguing thought to ponder late on a friday night...I would like to know if this mythical hero/heroine exists as well...if someone has done 600, I would bronze their car for them... for FREE...

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've averaged 39MPG / 6L/100km in my 330i going to Portland, OR from Blaine, WA. My distance to empty was about 630 miles / 1025km. I used no-name 92 octane fuel and filled her up in Blaine. I ran about 300 miles with just a little over half a tank left. But I kept my speed down to get this fuel economy at 66MPH average. I also followed behind at a safe distance (not drafted) large trucks or anything that was big to break up the air resistance. When I fueled up in Portland right away after exiting, the tank took just a tad over 7 gallons to fill her back up.

On my way back I didn't follow any trucks and kept my speed up a little higher than 66MPH and I punched it many times and brought the vehicle up past 120MPH a couple of times. I still got a respectable 33MPG doing that and I know if I didn't punch it, I would have gotten 35MPG.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
allaboutme said:
I'm sure someone will chime in with 'drive the car the way it's meant to be driven', so I'll just throw that out first. Now...

I know 400 is easily attainable on the freeway. 450 is a great number to hit. 500 has been the previous magic number. Someone claims to average >37mpg cruising at 55mph, but has anyone done 600?
I've done 37+mpg at 55mph for 50 miles, but where can you drive 55mph for a long distance and not get run over? Once I left the urban area and accelerated up to 65mph, my miles dropped to the 33-34mpg range.

I've followed trucks moderately closes (maybe 50' back) to see what mileage I could get and have been in the 40's at 70mph, but I can stand driving that close for a long distance, partly because of the grit their tires through up.

·
Registered
765 Posts
jonesy said:
Following trucks will cost you more fixing paint chips than the gas you've saved...
LOL yeah...I'm fortunate that there were no paint chips, but I can see a potential for crap coming up. I missed a shredded tire chunk that one of the trucks ran over and kicked up. :yikes: I saw the truck swerve ahead of me slightly so I jammed on the brakes right away and waited for something to come up. I love BMW brakes!! :thumbup: That was my test to see what the max mileage I can get in this car and I am quite amazed at it's highway efficiency knowing that I could drop the tranny into 3rd and be out of there in a couple of seconds. :D

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I drove 300 miles from San Jose to LA last year - it was on New Year's Eve, so there was quite a bit of traffic. I decided to stay in the slow lane in 6th gear and do a gas mileage exercise.

My OBC read 36.5 if I recall.

However, you should keep in mind that your OBC reads imperial gallons... which would only be just over 30 us MPG.

·
10,856 Posts
jonesy said:
Following trucks will cost you more fixing paint chips than the gas you've saved...
Yes, but it's awesome in an SUV you don't care about. I saw 5MPG, or a 30% improvement at 2.5 car lengths behind a tractor trailer in a Ford Exploder.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KrisL said:
I drove 300 miles from San Jose to LA last year - it was on New Year's Eve, so there was quite a bit of traffic. I decided to stay in the slow lane in 6th gear and do a gas mileage exercise.

My OBC read 36.5 if I recall.

However, you should keep in mind that your OBC reads imperial gallons... which would only be just over 30 us MPG.
Are you sure it's imperial gallons? My comparison at the pump shows the OBC only .5 to a max of 1mpg off. Your OBC might need a calibration?

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
My 5 speed transmission can't touch the 6th gear overdrive in this regard. I was pretty happy averaging 32 MPG from a full tank of gas while on vacation in AZ and UT last Fall. Most of my driving for that tank was at 75 MPH (i.e.: 5 over the speed limit) and on cruise control.

·
8,380 Posts
allaboutme said:
Are you sure it's imperial gallons? My comparison at the pump shows the OBC only .5 to a max of 1mpg off. Your OBC might need a calibration?
Mine is consistently off by 2 MPG, regardless of the trip is all highway, all local, or mix of both.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just filled up after a 460 mile tank on my 2001 325i. 300 or so of it was highway mileage to Atlantic City and back. Most of the time I'm getting 320-350 per tank, so it was nice to see such high mileage on that trip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
520 Miles:supdude::thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup: I just recently returned from Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I was at EAA Airventure 2006. I filled up with the great gas that Wisconsin is known for. I filled up at the BP station just north of the airport in Oshkosh with 93 Octane. I then hopped on US-10 and drove back to Minnesota averaging 70 MPH (ie 5 MPH over the limit) and i was averaging 33-35 MPG and the readout said 520 miles to empty. I however drove only 450 miles of that 520. :drive: :thumbup:
--Brandon

Current Car: 1999 323i

·
Registered
31 Posts
520 Miles:supdude::thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup: I just recently returned from Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I was at EAA Airventure 2006. I filled up with the great gas that Wisconsin is known for. I filled up at the BP station just north of the airport in Oshkosh with 93 Octane. I then hopped on US-10 and drove back to Minnesota averaging 70 MPH (ie 5 MPH over the limit) and i was averaging 33-35 MPG and the readout said 520 miles to empty. I however drove only 450 miles of that 520. :drive: :thumbup:
--Brandon

Current Car: 1999 323i

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts