BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Was wondering if anyone had the smart top module installed on there convertible. I dont have comfort access and just saw this product and was wondering if its good.
Where did you order it from and who installed it for you?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Love it. Its nice to be able to open the top from range, and not have to sit and hold the button. It also gives you one touch windows up, and one touch top operation from inside the vehicle. The instructions say you can set it to allow top operations while moving, but this scares me too much to try - I'm leary of damaging the top. From what I've read, its better than Comfort Access, because CA requires you to be very close to the car. I don't believe there is a comfort loading feature with the SmartTop though.

I bought it from European Auto Source (EAS), which I believe is a board sponsor. Showed up quickly, fair price, and everything was included.

I installed it myself, and didn't have any issues. I've got a bit of mechanical experience though. The instructions are very complete, but not sure I'd recommend doing it if you're not comfortable taking apart the interior of your car. It's probably about as hard as installing a new car stereo.

If I'd known that you couldn't open the remote from the keyfob without CA, I'd probably have ordered CA (My SA thought it worked without) just to not have to wonder about warranty issues. However, I really do like being able to open / close the top from a good range using the SmartTop, and highly recommed it.

·
Bimmerless
BMW G05 45e/Porsche Macan GTS/Ram 1500 Diesel
1,104 Posts
I don't believe there is a comfort loading feature with the SmartTop though.
According to the smartTop manufacturer:

"Trunk comfort feature: The existing feature to raise the roof mechanism for better access to the trunk is enhanced by our One-Touch operation."

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Have it and love it in my 08 E93 - worth every penny - got it at www.mods4cars.com and put it in myself - it is really easy to install, but difficult to get to the spot where the wires are to do the install - took me about an hour the first time - probably would take 30 minutes if I did it again. Everything is nice - one touch everything, top open and close from a distance and while moving, makes it the way it should be from the factory if it wasn't for all the damn lawyers making it impossible to do anything anymore1

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am definitely getting one by the end of this month!
I didn't realize it was available after passing on CA when I purchased mine.
But I am glad I did :p

·
Bimmerless
1,104 Posts
Those that have smartTop, what kind of range do you get out of the remote for opening/closing the top? I assume it's the same as you do normally for locking/unlocking the car?

With my e46, I had iTop, which was very similar to smartTop. The nice thing about it was that you could start opening the top from about 150 feet away, so that it would be almost finished by the time I crossed the parking lot and got into my car. Is the range on the e93 anywhere close to this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow!
I didn't even know such a thing existed. Just another reason why reading this forum is so great.

I just read through the instructions online. It doesn't look too complicated at all.

Think I'll order one. Thanks everyone for the info.

John

·
Registered
147 Posts
According to the smartTop manufacturer:

"Trunk comfort feature: The existing feature to raise the roof mechanism for better access to the trunk is enhanced by our One-Touch operation."
"With the roof open, a quick double-tap on the "TRUNK" button will automatically lift the roof mechanism for easier trunk access. "

Thanks - guess I needed to RTFM more carefully.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Those that have smartTop, what kind of range do you get out of the remote for opening/closing the top? I assume it's the same as you do normally for locking/unlocking the car?

With my e46, I had iTop, which was very similar to smartTop. The nice thing about it was that you could start opening the top from about 150 feet away, so that it would be almost finished by the time I crossed the parking lot and got into my car. Is the range on the e93 anywhere close to this?
works as far as the remote does...which varies based on obstructions, elevations, etc.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Yep works like iTop as far as the remote will work - you have to hold it for a few seconds, so sometimes from a distance you can unlock it but need to be a little closer to keep a sustained signal to it - I would say 75-100 feet at least on mine - pretty much done by the time I get to the car + it lets you run the top while moving, so even if it isn't done, you can just get in and start driving. I bought mine last fall for my 08 and the one touch all windows up didn't work with the 08, but they did some R&D on an 08 early in the spring and fixed it - sent mine back and they turned it around in a day with the fix loaded on it, so the customer support is nice also!

Rob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does the smart top product work even if you already have Comfort Access? If so, is the only advantage the ability to pop the top while the car is moving and also not have to hold the button continuously to open the top? I can already pop the top with the remote but i have to hold the remote button down continuously until the process is completed. Any other features that would make this product worth getting if someone already has CA?

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
Does the smart top product work even if you already have Comfort Access? If so, is the only advantage the ability to pop the top while the car is moving and also not have to hold the button continuously to open the top? I can already pop the top with the remote but i have to hold the remote button down continuously until the process is completed. Any other features that would make this product worth getting if someone already has CA?
Yes - we just installed the module yesterday on a 2008 M3 with Comfort Access in house.

·
Bimmerless
1,104 Posts
Yes, you don't have to stand right next to the car to make the top operate.

And you get 1-touch all windows up.

Go to the manufacturer's web site - they have all the info about features there.

·
Bimmerless
1,104 Posts
Yes - we just installed the module yesterday on a 2008 M3 with Comfort Access in house.
I didn't know the new M3 'verts were out in the USA already. They don't even have details on BMWUSA.com yet. Was this a customer's car??

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
I didn't know the new M3 'verts were out in the USA already. They don't even have details on BMWUSA.com yet. Was this a customer's car??
My bad - I was referring to remoteKEY, new features were just added to it yesterday in house. We have installed the StartTOP module on a few 335s in our shop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The site mentions
Setup Menu in the Vehicle Display
You may configure the settings of your smartTOP module directly using the display of your factory on-board computer (dash) display. The individual options are displayed in plain English.
Any chance of pictures of this? Does it integrate with iDrive too, or just the status display in between the dials?

It also mentions
Extra Functions
In addition to the intelligent convertible top control, some smartTOP modules provide additional functions that you can easily learn to operate. Specific details and availability of the individual functions depend on the vehicle make and model.
What might they be for a 2008 335 conv. ?

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
The site mentions

Any chance of pictures of this? Does it integrate with iDrive too, or just the status display in between the dials?
It will use the blinker arrows as confirmation of various options as indicated in the arrows:

What might they be for a 2008 335 conv. ?
No other features at this time, but the module is upgradeable if new features are added

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
They are already out on the road as of last week. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Would this type of modification invalidate the warranty on the car?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts