Two and half weeks ago I took delivery of my new 330i which replaced my '00 328Ci.Alan F said:I was just wondering because one day in the future when I trade in my 330Ci I was thinking of possibly getting a 330i (or some other 4 door) and wanted some peoples experiences.
Whenever I drive my 2 door I feel like I am driving a sports car but I can't imagine the 4 door feeling the same way. I know the cars are almost the exact same but does the 4 door feel like your in a sports car.
Don't knock me for saying this but the Ci is a really 'cool' looking car. Whenever I look at mine I can't help but think that I wouldn't have the same feeling looking at a 4 door.
Then I will see a nice 3 series 4 door on the road and think to myself how good it looks . . .
The 328 did NOT have the SP (foolish decision based on two month delay in availability of SP on early '00 coupes). While this only restricted me to 16" wheels and standard seats it definitely made the car feel less 'sporty' to me. The seats are a nice touch and I'm really enjoying them in the twisty bits. In the 328 my left leg would get tired bracing against the door handle when the driving turned spirited.
Things I like better about the 330i:
1. 4 doors are WAY more practical with 3 small children and a job that requires some level of sales responsibilities (read, need to use the backseat once in a while).
2. 3.0 engine - much more 'pep' than the 328.
3. 17" wheels/tires - MUCH better at hard cornering
4. Sport seats - big improvement (love the tilt)
5. Door frames around the windows - just a rigidity preference and nervousness about that little 'seal' move the coupe windows do at close/open.
6. Exhaust note - 328 was SO quiet that the first few days I had it I would either stall it when moving from a full stop or forget to shift out of 3rd since in my 15+ years of driving standard trans I got used to driving by 'sound'. The 3.0 has a nice rumble at idle and a much more pleasing sound a cruising speeds and during acceleration.
Things I liked better in the 328Ci:
1. Sportier 'look' of the car - no matter how beautiful the sedan is, the coupe is just plain sexier.
2. Better peripheral vision - the B pillar is sometimes annoyingly in the way of my vision.
Bottom line: I think both are awesome. Had I been driving a 330Ci w/ SP, I probably would NOT have traded for the 330i. However, I really wanted the SP and the 3.0 engine and if I'm going that far, might as well get the extra doors and the color I really wanted (1 week after delivery of the '00 Topaz 328 in early 9/00, the dealer has a Steel Grey 328Ci in the showroom - always have loved metallic grey cars). It made some kind of wacky financial sense to me (blinded by car lust) since I plan to have this car for 8+ years if practical.
At 46k miles, the 328Ci still drove as nice as the first day I slipped behind the wheel.
For the record:
2000 328Ci - Topaz/Grey, PP, HK, Xe
2002 330i - Steel Grey/Grey, SP, PP, CWP, Bi-Xe