BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I saw BMW's w/ hitches all the time while i was in Germany. Unfortunately, BMWNA's policy is that their cars can't tow anything (except the x5). It'll probably void your warranty if you put a hitch on it and the dealer svc sees it. If you still want to go through w/ it, all of the parts are available from BMW in Germany- and I'm sure you can find someone who sells this stuff here.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I assume phi didn't want to tow anything, but only wanted a bike rack that fits into the receiver. Will using your hitch for this use still void your warranty? :dunno:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have installed a DaLan hitch on my 2001 325Xi and towed my Yamaha SRX700 snowmobile (~500lbs for sled 225lbs for trailer and about 140lbs of fuel) I had no problems driving at speeds up to 80 mph and in snow (not at the same time). If you like I can attach some pictures later. I have some of the hitch and the car towing the snowmobile.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clem: I didn't even know BMW made one. I'm still in the curious phase of figuring out if its worth getting. Does it fit with the 330i aero package? How much is it?

VT325Xi: If you can, post some pix, I'd like to see what your setup looks like

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
phi said:
Clem: I didn't even know BMW made one. I'm still in the curious phase of figuring out if its worth getting. Does it fit with the 330i aero package? How much is it?

VT325Xi: If you can, post some pix, I'd like to see what your setup looks like
They must make one. After all they do offer that spank multi-trailer.

No idea on price, but if you're serious I can check into if for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One of the hitch not mounted on car...

Here is the hitch before mounting on the car. It was approximately $225. It has a 200 lb tongue rating and 2000 lb towing rating. I have it on my 325Xi before and after lowering the car. I will find out how it does towing the Yamaha SRX this weekend after I have lowered it. Otherwise it works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hitch installed

As you can see the hitch installs by bolting through the spare tire wheel. It is a little difficult to drill the first hole through the body of your $30K+ car. After that the others are easy. I was at first worried that the metal would get deformed pulling and stopping all the weight of my snowmobile. So far no problems. Of course I haven't even begun to haul the hitches rated amount (2000lbs). My snowmobile trailer is only good for around 900 plus the 225 the trailer weighs. So with a sled, spare gas, and trailer I think I am hauling around 850 lbs. I have driven the car trailering the sled up and over some of Vermonts steepest mountains during snowstorms and have not had any problems. In fact one time the roads were so bad I decided to see how well the DSC-X worked with the extra weight. I lost a Dodge Dakota going uphill. He lost it while trying to keep with me on a corner while trailering the sled. He just plowed into the snowbank!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will have to take a picture of the rear view tommorow and post it. I used the hitch again today to trailer the Yamaha to where there was still some snow in Vermont. Got a nice 100 mile ride in. Looks like it is definately the last ride of this winter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hitch on car

Here are some pics of the hitch installed on the car. As you can it peeks out frmo under. I plan on cutting the bolts so the threads don't stick down as much. Plus get it powdercoated black so it blends in better. The hitch is a receiver style so you can remove the part that protrudes when you are not using it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the Pics.

I'm tempted to put a hitch on mine.

Mine's a 323i w/ sport pkg so it's already low to the ground so I hope Dalan has a high bar for the receiver.

How's your traction on an incline? I might be a big problem with RWD and Z tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.