Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was removing my center tie rod today and of course you have to remove the outer tie rods. Using my impact gun I removed the nut and as soon as it came of this happened:
IMG_4180.jpg

It appears that the bushing(if you can call it that) inside the wheel carrier came out with the tie rod. I didn’t even know there was one in there. I’m not too concerned about it because as long as I have the washer it should stay in place.

Owning a BMW is always interesting

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts
yeah it happens.. you need that bushing..

remove it.. re install it

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
1,584 Posts
Yes, a common gotcha***8230;Removing it can be hard, because it looks like it is struck on the arm.
And no, you cannot buy it as a separate new part -there is not even a part # for it.
When it happened to me last summer, I doused it with WD-40 overnight, then took the whole tie rod arm to a local car exhaust shop : they banged on it hard, and removed it intact.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could I just put it back in the hole and tighten it with the impact? I’m re-using the tie rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
Could I just put it back in the hole and tighten it with the impact? I'm re-using the tie rod.

Happens. Most just place that sleeve back in and tap a few times with a hammer to put it back in place. Some use a block of metal to spread the blows to keep the sleeve from marring.

Some others have used a C clamp to press it back in.

Problem with using only a impact wrench is the spindle might not clear enough for the nut to be put on unless at least half way in first.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
To prevent that from happening is to have the right tool. The recommended BMW tool is pricey but it had saved me so much frustration.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Could I just put it back in the hole and tighten it with the impact? I’m re-using the tie rod.

Sure.

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 192 K miles
1,584 Posts
Of course, you can.
But it seems you are redoing the whole suspension on your car, so you might as well replace the tie rods "while you are there"...;)
If so, pull that sleeve out and reinstall it on the new tie-rod. I used a C clamp, and a few taps with a hammer to get it back in place, after cleaning it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course, you can.

But it seems you are redoing the whole suspension on your car, so you might as well replace the tie rods "while you are there"...;)

If so, pull that sleeve out and reinstall it on the new tie-rod. I used a C clamp, and a few taps with a hammer to get it back in place, after cleaning it.

I already have replaced them. They’re less than a year old. For once Im actually obeying the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” rule.

Owning a BMW is always interesting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts