BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5K miles on my 335, the service mileage indicator was at 12K miles the last time I noticed it a couple weeks back. It somehow ended up at 20K miles. Took the car in for service today and according to them, based on my recent driving habits (trying to conserve gas :p) it does not need an oil change for another 20K miles.

So, for one I am not driving any differently, but question is has this happened to anyone where in the service indicator took a jump back from 12K to 20K. I know I still get the yearly oil change but wondering if there is something wrong with the computer, thought it was a countdown!

·
Registered
107 Posts
probably the ecu and idrive and all that jazz is seriously buggy. i can't get my settings to reliably stick for the life of me in many idrive functions and i carry only one key and don't use any of the memory functions.

crappy software.

dme flash might reset this too :) got progman update or dinan?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, no program update or dinan, agree with you thinking it is sw.... Funniest was the comment from the service Rep.

He said something along the lines that gas prices are high and you must be taking it easy, hence the mileage indicator suggests that you do not need any service until another 20K miles :)

I tried to say ok, maybe it won't count down as fast but should not go to 20K miles, the car brand new only had the service indicator at 16K miles. So after driving 5K miles, is the oil clearner than when I first bought the car?

·
2009 335i M sport
241 Posts
When I bought my car in July 07 the service schedule date was 5/09 which didn't correlate with the miles remaining until service.
I also suggest that you change the oil sooner than 15-20k. I'm going to start changing mine between 7.5 to 10k.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have 5K miles on my 335, the service mileage indicator was at 12K miles the last time I noticed it a couple weeks back. It somehow ended up at 20K miles. Took the car in for service today and according to them, based on my recent driving habits (trying to conserve gas :p) it does not need an oil change for another 20K miles.

So, for one I am not driving any differently, but question is has this happened to anyone where in the service indicator took a jump back from 12K to 20K. I know I still get the yearly oil change but wondering if there is something wrong with the computer, thought it was a countdown!
Yes, this has happened to me. early on it said 16K. Now after 12500 miles, it says I can go another 12K miles.

·
BMWcoholic
388 Posts
Mine did the opposite.

Started at 20,000km and ramped down to 16000km over the course of 2000 miles.

And no I wasn't mercilessly flogging the thing, I rarely shift over 4000 rpm.

Academic anyway, I change the oil at least 3 times in the time the computer tells me to.

Usually every 7500km after an initial change at 2500km.

Doesn't burn a drop of oil though.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts

When my driving habits change (from local to higway) the fuel range estimate may go up while I'm adding miles. Could the same thing happen with the service calculator?

·
Registered
410 Posts
BMW uses an algorithm to figure out when your service intervals are, a bunch of factors are involved in that algorithm. Amount of gas burned, starts, mileage, engine temp, cold starts, warm starts, etc.

Any of these factors can change the amount of miles between service intervals. Your actual miles driven rarely syncs up with the 15k service intervals. Especially if you drive the car hard.

I am surprised though that it would go up that much, usually it goes down just it either goes down slower or faster depending on your driving habits.

If it is 20k for the interval I would change it earlier. The oil can go 15k-20k without breaking down but the filters cant.

I change at 7500 which is more then enough you could go to 10k as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts