BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

At first after speaking to my cousin a few weeks back he basically discouraged me from suing BMW to take back my 550. He stated that the red tape would be insane.

Well on his own he did some research and has found the steering issues are a HUGE problem.

He called me to ask how I was getting along with the car and I said that I refuse to drive the car above 60 mph or on the highway. Given my response he is getting the letters out Monday.

Really sad that I have to do this, but Honda Civics are more stable at 90 mph than my $68K BMW is at 65 mph. This I know because I rent them often from Enterprise.

More than likely I won't be able to post any further updates on the suit as I might be signing a non disclosure next week but until then wanted to let you know my intentions.

Sincerely,
Ace

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Well, I do hope something good comes of it from your time/money investment! Best of luck to you and update us as you are legally able to!

I guess you've exhausted all avenues with your BMW dealer in addressing the issue(s)? Can any sort of lemon law work for you?

:thumbup:

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Agent,
My dealer in Charlotte has been as awesome as they can be, but you can't fix bad design. At that design might be tires, steering geometry, aerodynamics.....Who knows, but I could camp out at the dealer and it won't be fixed.

Bye

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Is this a known (i.e., relatively common) problem, and does it apply to 530i's as well, or is it somehow restricted to the V-8?

·
Registered
674 Posts
hts said:
Is this a known (i.e., relatively common) problem, and does it apply to 530i's as well, or is it somehow restricted to the V-8?
Just to let you know that this problem does not affect pre-2006 e60s. Also, not all 2006 e60s are affected and it doesn't matter what engine type you have.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Thanks. Unfortunately I think I'm probably looking at a 2007 (or CPO'd 2006), as I want the sport package with the comfort seat, the CWP with the heated SP steering wheel, and I think it might be hard to find that combination going back any earlier than 2006.

Guess I'll have to research this board (and other) for more info. on this particular issue.

jiio said:
Just to let you know that this problem does not affect pre-2006 e60s. Also, not all 2006 e60s are affected and it doesn't matter what engine type you have.

·
Registered
674 Posts
hts said:
Thanks. Unfortunately I think I'm probably looking at a 2007 (or CPO'd 2006), as I want the sport package with the comfort seat, the CWP with the heated SP steering wheel, and I think it might be hard to find that combination going back any earlier than 2006.

Guess I'll have to research this board (and other) for more info. on this particular issue.
My opinion is that Ace88 got a lemon. Lemons happen to all makes and model from all the car manufacturers. Go ahead with confidence that the car you will be getting will not have any major issues or else you'll never buy the car. :thumbup:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
jiio said:
Folks I have noticed that like wine, 2004 and 2006 was a bad year for BMW's.

The steering issue is not isolated to E60's.

Numerous issues have cropped up on 2006 650's, 550's, M5's, M6's, etc.

I have looked backed through several posts about cars with steering issues, iDrive issues, etc. I think BMW may have changed vendors for some parts for 2006.

Based I what I have seen. If you are looking for a 5 or 6 series I would get a 2005 545/645, or wait for a 2007. i.e. stick with odd number model years until BMW gets things worked out.

What pisses :mad: me off the most is the steering issue is really a safety issue but BMW won't fess up to it, at least not yet.

·
friend of the marque
4,943 Posts
Ace-

Who is your CA and Tech Advisor at Hendrick BMW.
Just curious, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do you have active steering??? What is the problem you are experiencing? Hard to tell from the post.

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
Veight said:
Do you have active steering??? What is the problem you are experiencing? Hard to tell from the post.
I think the answers to your questions will be found it this thread here. :thumbup:

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mullman said:
Ace-

Who is your CA and Tech Advisor at Hendrick BMW.
Just curious, feel free to PM me.
Hi Mullman,
Christy is my SA. She is by far the best I have ever worked with on any car I ever owned. I feel bad for her because she may feel like she couldn't get it right. I love Hendricks, John the GM is a great guy also.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Ace88 said:
Hi Mullman,
Christy is my SA. She is by far the best I have ever worked with on any car I ever owned. I feel bad for her because she may feel like she couldn't get it right. I love Hendricks, John the GM is a great guy also.
What's the deal? BMW can't fix your car or they can't get the parts?:dunno:

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
chuck92103 said:
The M5 and M6 do not have A/S but are subjected to the same problem.
Ace88 doesn't have A/S either. :confused:

Ace88 said:
Well in 3 days of driving the 550i (133 miles) I have noticed a bad steering issue. I do NOT have active steering.

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
chuck92103 said:
The M5 and M6 do not have A/S but are subjected to the same problem.

This is a steering sensor issue.
Hi Chuck,

My sensors are working as they should as verified by Hendricks on 3 different visits and 1 drive with the shop foreman. I wished it were that simple.

My tire pressure is dead on as per BMW. 30/35

My alignment is dead on as per BMW and checked by Hendricks.

Car wanders and floats SO BAD from about 60 mph + that the car is very much unsafe. Take your eyes off the road for 3 seconds and your cutting into another lane.

CONSTANT corrections left and right to keep car straight but the car still floats laterally from side to side like the sway bars and shocks are removed from the car.

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chuck92103 said:
What's the deal? BMW can't fix your car or they can't get the parts?:dunno:
There are no parts to get. Everything checks out when they hook it up. I don't know if it is bad bushings somewhere (too soft), bad shocks, bad design in general. ?

Here is the best part, I'm driving a 2006 Chevy Cobalt right now from Enterprise and I am actually enjoying the tight controlled ride

If that is not sad.......:bawling:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Ace88 said:
Hi Chuck,

My sensors are working as they should as verified by Hendricks on 3 different visits and 1 drive with the shop foreman. I wished it were that simple.

My tire pressure is dead on as per BMW. 30/35

My alignment is dead on as per BMW and checked by Hendricks.

Car wanders and floats SO BAD from about 60 mph + that the car is very much unsafe. Take your eyes off the road for 3 seconds and your cutting into another lane.

CONSTANT corrections left and right to keep car straight but the car still floats laterally from side to side like the sway bars and shocks are removed from the car.
Wow, did the mechanic drive with you at 60MPH to confirm the issue? :dunno:

Maybe a bent chassis? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.