BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help,i need some usefull info because i dont want to be a parts changer!.i been having problems starting my 98 bmw328i .occasionally when i turn the key to start the car,there is no crank or engine turning ,instead i hear a whinning or spinning noise coming from under the hood,then the noise comes to a sudden stop with a fairly loud knock.i then turn the key back to the off position and give it another try and it turns on no problem.this has been happining occasionally maybe once or twice a day,if i use the car all day long.as far as the weather,it has happened when the temp is hot or cool outside so i dont think thats a factor.also even on a first morning start this would happen so i can rule out if the engine was hot or cold when i had this problem.the only things i can think of was that my starter is going or a faulty key ignition switch,but i dont want to guess and replace the wrong part because they are both expensive.if anyone has a better clue on what is going on please share,i would appreciate it,thanks.

·
Bored Worker
822 Posts
Sounds like solienoid issues (starter) the starter is spinning but the shaft isnt engaging the flywheel.. Replace your starter.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
yup, thats what i was thinking

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Starter solenoid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts