BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 month old Z4 has died on 5 occassions not including 2 other times in the shop for other electrical malfunctions. Except for one of the electrical problems, all of the breakdowns have been serviced at a dealer other than the dealer I bought the car at. The servicing dealer basically told me to flip off yesterday, they dont know what else to do and wont start the paperwork on a buyback or collateral exchange.

I am really pissed because I've been very busy at work and basically got this car for my wife so we'd have a fun new car and it's been nothing but a total pain in the arse -- I'm willing to a deal with problems of course, but this breakdown stuff is out of control. I am going to put the ball in BMWNA's court tomorrow, let them know they can try to fix the car but they have to pick it up and deliver me a loaner because I was turned away from the servicing dealer yesterday after the car died and Roadside called yet again. If they dont intervene and resolve immediately, I've got to waste my time and do my lawyer crap, which I really dont have the time or patience to do :mad:

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mng said:
wow, that sucks. has it been 5 separate issues or the dealer guessing at the same problem 5 times?

keep us posted and good luck!
Car had died 5 times and cannot be started leaving my wife stranded. First thought was a bad battery (subsequently replaced) but that only stopped problem for a couple of weeks.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
felonious monk said:
I hope you haven't been dealing with Santa Monica BMW. I have not had a single person tell that it's OK to go there.

Try South Bay BMW (Torrance). Very good experience there so far.
Second that. They're not perfect (who is?) but they're definitely not going to turn you away either.

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
felonious monk said:
I hope you haven't been dealing with Santa Monica BMW. I have not had a single person tell that it's OK to go there.

Try South Bay BMW (Torrance). Very good experience there so far.
Sadly, it was South Bay I was dealing with... Their service manager, Lisette Sandejas is an idiot. She couldnt/wouldnt do anything when car last died then marked the system as a "no show" and then I get a call wondering why I didnt show up for my latest appointment.

My wife yelled at them this morning telling them we called Roadside and a flat bed truck and came down to their dealership apparently in a concerted effort to waste as much of our time as possible :mad:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Try Longbeach BMW

So far I've had good service with them.The dealers do not want to do work on cars they didn't sell because they are franchised dealers and I think they only get a percentage of their costs of labor etc from BMWNA. So if you bought it from someone else they could care less about statisfying you. And having lived in L.A most of my life, service excellence in general in this city is totally lacking.

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oops, cleared out my PMs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do the Lemon Law. If the defect is a safey hazard or effects the resale value of the car, and authorized BMW service has failed to repair after trying twice, here is what you do. Write them a letter notifying them that if the car is not repaired on the third try, you will start LL proceedings. Even though you are 5 times into this problem, you still have to notify them that if on the next try at fixing they fail, you will institute the LL. It works that way in NJ and FL, and also probably does in your state. Play it safe, google LL for CA before acting. Good luck.

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flycaster said:
Do the Lemon Law. If the defect is a safey hazard or effects the resale value of the car, and authorized BMW service has failed to repair after trying twice, here is what you do. Write them a letter notifying them that if the car is not repaired on the third try, you will start LL proceedings. Even though you are 5 times into this problem, you still have to notify them that if on the next try at fixing they fail, you will institute the LL. It works that way in NJ and FL, and also probably does in your state. Play it safe, google LL for CA before acting. Good luck.
Thanks. I'm up to date on the CA Lemon Law and could file myself because I'm a lawyer. I'd rather not bother though because it's just a 2 year lease (27 month lease, now 3 months in). I've spoken to a rep from BMWNA and have the number of dealer visits to satisfy the CA Lemon law, I'm trying one more time to resolve with the purchasing dealer (rather than South Bay) before having to go the LL route.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
LA525iT said:
Sadly, it was South Bay I was dealing with... Their service manager, Lisette Sandejas is an idiot. She couldnt/wouldnt do anything when car last died then marked the system as a "no show" and then I get a call wondering why I didnt show up for my latest appointment.

My wife yelled at them this morning telling them we called Roadside and a flat bed truck and came down to their dealership apparently in a concerted effort to waste as much of our time as possible :mad:
There's only one person I deal with in Service at South Bay. As far as I'm concerned no one else exists. They grew tremendously when they moved from Hermosa Beach and many of the people there are new and untested (as far as I am concerned). If I don't know someone from the Hermosa store days, I don't deal with them. My in-laws worked for Vasek Polak (South Bay BMW used to be Vasek Polak BMW) back in the day. That may not be worth much anymore but I've got relationships with people there that so far keep me going there (plus it's the closest for me).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts