Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my jet black 325i for just over a week... and I already have that sunken-stomach nauseous feeling after seeing my car in the sun today after I gave it a quickie wash in my garage yesterday (it's too cold out to really wash it well outside). Swirl marks! :cry:

I've been reading through a lot of posts, and my question isn't how to get rid of them. It's simply has anyone here ever had a dark car that did NOT get swirl marks because you're just that good about babying it?? If I knew that the answer was 'no', I'd feel a lot better realizing that it happens to EVERYONE!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
363 Posts
obviously you're washing in the shade and when the paint is completely cool, right?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
All paint has swirls or light scratches. Black is the most noticable. Black looks it best the day you buy a new car. Then it is down hill from there trying every product imaginable to prevent it from happening but you will lose the battle. Black accentuates the imperfections in the clear coat where lighter colors hide them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Frank325,
All cars get swirl marks, no matter what color. Black shows the worst, however. Any time you or anything else touches your paint, you are introducing micro-marring, swirl marks.
You can do 2 things:
1) Use detailing best practices to reduce the introduction of swirl marks
2) Use detailing best practices to remove swirl marks a couple of times per year

There are some great sites out there for detailing: www.detailersclub.com, www.detailcity.com, www.autopia.org, and all will show you ways to do both 1 and 2 above.

Good luck and don't despair!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yup

frank325 said:
I've only had my jet black 325i for just over a week... and I already have that sunken-stomach nauseous feeling after seeing my car in the sun today after I gave it a quickie wash in my garage yesterday (it's too cold out to really wash it well outside). Swirl marks! :cry:

I've been reading through a lot of posts, and my question isn't how to get rid of them. It's simply has anyone here ever had a dark car that did NOT get swirl marks because you're just that good about babying it?? If I knew that the answer was 'no', I'd feel a lot better realizing that it happens to EVERYONE!
=====
=============
Been driving black cars "only" for years. Love Black on Black. Never had one yet that did not have swirls. I take it to a friend who details it. Once or twice a year he waxes it and seems to be able to remove the swirls for a while. I have learned to live with it. (I have also been married to the same person for 36 years - perhaps this explains it).
:angel:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Swirl marks

Frank .....just like you I have a Jet Black Bmw (e90) and expierenced the same....very careful washing it and the whole nine yards...I ordered Zaino and will be trying it in the next couple of days and will let you know if this is the answer to our problem. It seems the process of this polish takes a little bit more time and energy but if it take 75 percent of them out I will be very happy. After I received my Zaino order I called and spoke with this guy for some time and he assured me that most all swirl maks can be removed if you use these products correctly.....again I will let you know so dont waste your money yet..

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
xspeedy said:
White iPod versus Black iPod.
I have no scratches on my Black iPod thank you

·
Go Gators
10,338 Posts
I wish there was no such thing as swirl marks! :mad: So much work for it to look flawless and the first time you wash it they magically reappear. :cry:

I got a black iPod for christmas and it sucks. Not the iPod itself but the black cover on it! I've had it in a tuffwrap, in black ofcourse, with a little plexiglass thingy to cover the screen and I have to fold the wrap up a little bit to put it on it's dock and every time I do so I get finger prints on it, so I take my shirt and rub it down, and guess what?! It has a couple of scratches there. Also the click wheel looks like sh*t now also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
swirls are apart of life thats why you have a PC/Rotary and some polish. Chris

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
frank325 said:

My first two cars were black cars, and I've always used Zymol to remove swirlmarks and hairline scratches, and still use Zymol on all my cars to this very day. The fact is, as several people in this thread have said already "EVERY" cars gets swirlmarks, but it just shows the most on black cars. In my opinion black cars look the "best" clean, but are also the "hardest" to keep that way. :dunno: That's life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts