BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got both magazines yesterday. R/T was comparing the sedan while C&D was comparing the coupe. The Bimmer won the C&D comparison to the Acura, while the Infiniti G35 won the sedan (the 330i being second place). But the determining factor was interesting in both comparisions: Price. R/T thought the $7,000 difference was not worth it while C/D thought it was worth it.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Anyone else notice how R&T thought he steering and chassis of the 330 were perfect? The 330 was also the lightest car in the test :yikes:

yea, price is always important, but the BMW still kills in terms of E46 sales :thumb:

G

·
DaveN323i said:
Got both magazines yesterday. R/T was comparing the sedan while C&D was comparing the coupe. The Bimmer won the C&D comparison to the Acura, while the Infiniti G35 won the sedan (the 330i being second place). But the determining factor was interesting in both comparisions: Price. R/T thought the $7,000 difference was not worth it while C/D thought it was worth it.
More interesting to me was how Car and Driver rated the Acura's ENGINE and TRANSMISSION higher than the BMW's. Could the DBW throttle and numb-ass clutch be a factor? Because we know the BMW's I-6 is smoother and feels just as strong as the Acura engine.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Have you guys checked the R/T and Car and Driver comparisons?

TD said:

More interesting to me was how Car and Driver rated the Acura's ENGINE and TRANSMISSION higher than the BMW's. Could the DBW throttle and numb-ass clutch be a factor? Because we know the BMW's I-6 is smoother and feels just as strong as the Acura engine.
umm...no, did you actually read the article? They loved the controls. Remember, the R&T handling test praised the DBW?

Anyway, Honda makes great engines and manual transmissions. The extra hp, displacement, and redline all help. No shame in the fact that Honda builds excellent motors and drivetrains :dunno:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Chris330ci said:
Anybody else ever wonder what the car mag writers own for their daily drivers? I would think it would be hard to go out and compare cars all day, every day and then drive some POS... :dunno:
R&T had a list of what everyone drives several years ago. I guess with being able to drive everything new in the market all the time they don't need to own crazy cars, since IIRC they all drove interesting (mostly older) but not spectacular cars.

G

·
Re: Re: Re: Have you guys checked the R/T and Car and Driver comparisons?

nate328Ci said:

umm...no, did you actually read the article? They loved the controls. Remember, the R&T handling test praised the DBW?

Anyway, Honda makes great engines and manual transmissions. The extra hp, displacement, and redline all help.
C&D rated the Acura's engine and tranny higher than the BMW's. Fact.

There was little in the actual article that couldn't have just been cut and pasted from earlier BMW reviews. No new observations or comments. But there was nothing written to explain the engine and tranny scores.

I mean, I can kind of see giving an edge to the 260HP (rated) Acura engine even though it's a V6. But to give the Acura a tranny edge too?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Have you guys checked the R/T and Car and Driver comparisons?

TD said:

I mean, I can kind of see giving an edge to the 260HP (rated) Acura engine even though it's a V6. But to give the Acura a tranny edge too?
V6s can be well balanced too, Have you ever driven an Acura transmission? They are excellent. Besides, the Acura has a 6 speed too. Honda makes good motors and finally mated the CL-S motor to a good transmission.

from the artice:

"Beyond that, the 330Ci is an unmitigated hood. We have prattled endlessly about the the 3-series overall and the 330i in particular regarding their inherent driving pleasures, and it borders on pointless to repeat it here."

It doesn't sound like they slammed the DBW (didn't mention it) or the cluch.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: Re: Have you guys checked the R/T and Car and Driver comparisons?

nate328Ci said:

Anyway, Honda makes great engines and manual transmissions. The extra hp, displacement, and redline all help. No shame in the fact that Honda builds excellent motors and drivetrains :dunno:
C&D actually says that the Acura's crutch bits a bit impolitely on takeoffs. And they were also critical of the six speed. So, I don't know why then they gave Acura a 10 for transmission.

Btw, I have been stuck in the 1999-2000 model year. I tested for a short time the 2001. So, I don't know how the current models behave. From various writers, including TD, it seems that BMW is adding electronic features for its own sake but the feel of the cars are actually going backward. Just a hijack, but the C&D article on the Cooper S also commented on the heavy clutch and shift linkages.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Have you guys checked the R/T and Car and Driver comparisons?

DaveN323i said:

C&D actually says that the Acura's crutch bits a bit impolitely on takeoffs. And they were also critical of the six speed. So, I don't know why then they gave Acura a 10 for transmission.

But, it still has 6 gears

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I'm not sure how much to trust these magazine 'experts' anyway

When I was deciding which roadster to get, I did the magazine research thing and in some cases I think they used other published times instead of doing their own testing.

Unfortunately, without being able to get our hands on all the cars and do our own credible testing, it's what we've got to work with.

Luckily, I ran across someone that regularly puts their 01 M roadster on the track and his input helped seal the deal for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.