BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a lady blew through a red light on Tuesday and tried to take my nose off. Lots of witnesses, so fault isn’t in question, but…I’ve found because the airbag deployed it’s likely to be totaled. (So that’s a thing?!) The radiator is untouched, but it won’t start, which I’ve been told could be a safety/fuel cut off. Now here comes the “fun” part, Halloween was what? A couple of weeks ago? And the star of my Halloween display this year was my e46. I’d faked a head on smash up, complete w smoke machine under the hood and that’s now exactly how she looks irl. Fate? See the before/after below.

I’m lost as to what to get instead. New isn’t in the cards. Any thoughts on an X5? My rental RAV4 handles like a boat. 😭😭😭

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Oh man, sorry about what happen. If it happened a few seconds later it could have been a t bone and the outcome would have been worse. I feel your pain. How many miles? Is it worth fix up? It doesn't look that bad except for the airbag.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,566 Posts
Nice job taking a shitty situation and making something fun from it. I’d maybe look into a used G20. I’ve never been a fan of F series but G series continues to impress me daily. If that’s a little out of the current budget I’d scour the country for another E46 but probably sedan with as low of miles as you can afford. They are out there with 60k and under but you’ll pay for it.
Best advice: hold off if you can until this crazy car market comes back into some form of sanity.

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
5,965 Posts
I’ve found because the airbag deployed it’s likely to be totaled. (So that’s a thing?!)
It's not a "thing" per se but airbag deployment dramatically increases the amount of supplemental parts & labor required to restore the car. The additional expense can run to thousands of dollars per airbag. For older, heavily-depreciated cars the airbag repair costs alone may be enough to write off the whole vehicle, without even considering the cosmetic & structural work. :(

It's a shame that your clever Hallowe'en diorama seems to have been prophetic but, I'm glad you're OK.

Edit: As for what to do next: Get a repair quote and insurance payoff estimate. In the current superheated car market, you might pay less overall to salvage your cabrio than to buy a decent replacement, if you can cover the bill.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,830 Posts
Insurance will probably total it, they will estimate for using a scrap yard fender but brand new airbags from the dealer.
Don't assume airbags are ridiculously expensive though, they are available second hand at very fair prices. It really doesn't look too bad and if you say the radiator is undamaged - hood, bumper and the parts behind it should be replaceable DIY with the check from the insurance.

Reactions: ard and Zeichen311

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
5,965 Posts
Don't assume airbags are ridiculously expensive though, they are available second hand at very fair prices.
Excellent point, although all the bits around the airbags can start to add up. Example, the collapsible section of the steering column may be compromised. (I have seen people claim steering-wheel replacement was "required" but I consider that rumor or case-by-case, at best.) Agree that there's a good chance for largely DIY repairs here, if the hidden damage isn't too severe. (My biggest worry, with a cross-impact like this that was hard enough to trigger an airbag, would be that the front subframe/extensions/unibody got tweaked.)

·
Anti-Hack
6,388 Posts
Today’s used car market may work in your favor, raising the totaled value. Even if totaled, take the check, buy back the vehicle, and fix. Yeah you’ll have a salvage title but that only means something if you sell. Because I tend to keep things for decades and don’t usually sell, that would be a viable option for me.

Via the interwebs

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Years ago a dump truck right turned from the left lane into my little Corolla giving me a nice gash from the back to the front on the passenger side. It was an 18 years old car so insurance totaled it for $3000. I bought it back for $500 so my paycheck was $2500. It was still driveable and served me for another 7 years before I gave it away. I bought that car new and took good care of it so I knew its history well. $500 was a no brainer. That car continued to live on for about 8 more years. Amazing. So the point is if you know the car has been well care for, but it back and try to fix it. Is it ok to drive without the airbag?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sucks especially when you've taken care of your ride. Glad to hear you're okay. Kudos on turning a depressing situation into "lemonade." You've kept your sense of humor and turned it into a great Halloween display.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,733 Posts
See what the numbers are.

Ive oftened wonered if accepting less that the estiamet, avoiding a total brand AND being able to keep the car might be better deal. You need to know what the estimated damages are, what they value the car at now and what they will want to let you buy it back.

·
Registered
114 Posts
First off, take the car to a reputable body shop, and get a full estimate of repairs. It may not be as bad as you are dreaming about. My Z4 took a horrible hit a few weeks ago from a UHaul truck. It took out the rear bumper. quarter panel, drivers door, and fender. It's still in the shop but just for a replacement tail light. The total for the job is $7000.00. Don't forget you will be entitled to diminished value of your car. So, don't sell yourself short on this accident.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m still waiting to hear from insurance. When I asked the tow company if I should include the lug lock, they said yes, the next owner of your car will need that. And I’m like, what next owner? And she said well we are an auction house and I said I want my car repaired, I don’t want it auctioned off! So I’ve gone back to the insurance company and told them you can’t just total it sight unseen, but the claims guy doesn’t even look at the car in person. The tow place takes photos and mails it to him in another state. I’m not at all liking the direction this is going, but will update when I find out more.

I told them I need an estimate for repair and not just a totaled out number. They towed it quite far away from where I live and a repair shop I would want to take it to. Basically everyone I’ve talked to says once the airbag deploys the car is totaled. The end. #NotHappy

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 110K miles NOKIAN WR G3 25K miles
21,358 Posts
Look to the cost of restoring the interior after airbags deploy. Totaled.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m wondering/hoping insurance might have a chance of getting bmw to fix the steering wheel airbag (the only one that deployed) given they were to replace it under recall anyway and I hadn’t had it done yet.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Isn't "total" a term determined by the insurance company to declare a total loss and not "salvage"? Are you concerned of the latter that would affect your car's resale? I "bought" my car back from the insurance company after they "totaled" it but there was no change in my car's title. I guess there was no buy-sell transaction there. The car was still mine. Title was never changed hands. Is my understanding incorrect?

·
Registered
15,477 Posts
"No-start" issue is from the BST terminal in the trunk that deployed once the airbag is deployed.
A used BST can be free from yunk yard (or some $ from ebay).

Up to you to buy it back and fix it, may be worth it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts