Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I commute ~35 miles each way in my E39. Just about as comfortable of a freeway cruiser as you can get. Great ride, quiet cruise, Sirius, handles like a dream on the Arroyo (twistiest freeway in North America), ahh.

So my Integra is in the body shop after being totalled (I'm repairing the salvage) and since my wife needs a "dog friendly" car during the day, I've been commuting with the Z4 and leaving her with the 525 because the pooch can ride in the boot.

The Z4 is great in traffic because of its size and power, but it's an awful PITA.

[VENT]
The ride is just punishing on LA's grooved freeways. The road noise is substantial with the top up. With the top down and with my pressed shirt on (As opposed to my weekend cap and sweatshirt attire) I look totally gay. The heat isnt as effective as the 525 for the first few minutes and I have to use the heated seats, I feel like someone is roasting my nuts. I have no Sirius in the Z4. The handling is a bit skittish going around bends at high speed on the potmarked 110/Arroyo Freeway. I look pretty gay as I pull up to work. I have to fill the tiny tank every 4 days, although fuel economy is pretty darn good for the performance. When I do fill up at the gas station, I look totally gay.

And did I mention the 20 something cuties at my office now think I'm totally gay. :mad:

[/VENT]

·
what does this button do?
869 Posts
well, honestly, just be glad you got 20 something cuties in your office... I only wish.

·
an audience of One
7,860 Posts
So I commute ~35 miles each way in my E39. Just about as comfortable of a freeway cruiser as you can get. Great ride, quiet cruise, Sirius, handles like a dream on the Arroyo (twistiest freeway in North America), ahh.

So my Integra is in the body shop after being totalled (I'm repairing the salvage) and since my wife needs a "dog friendly" car during the day, I've been commuting with the Z4 and leaving her with the 525 because the pooch can ride in the boot.

The Z4 is great in traffic because of its size and power, but it's an awful PITA.

[VENT]
The ride is just punishing on LA's grooved freeways. The road noise is substantial with the top up. With the top down and with my pressed shirt on (As opposed to my weekend cap and sweatshirt attire) I look totally gay. The heat isnt as effective as the 525 for the first few minutes and I have to use the heated seats, I feel like someone is roasting my nuts. I have no Sirius in the Z4. The handling is a bit skittish going around bends at high speed on the potmarked 110/Arroyo Freeway. I look pretty gay as I pull up to work. I have to fill the tiny tank every 4 days, although fuel economy is pretty darn good for the performance. When I do fill up at the gas station, I look totally gay.

And did I mention the 20 something cuties at my office now think I'm totally gay. :mad:

[/VENT]
Wait till they find out about the Z4!

·
Senior Slacker
5,646 Posts
Her car: 2003 525iT 5M/SP/PP/Xenons/Aux/Sirius
My car: 2006 Z4 3.0si 6M/SP/PP/Xenons/Heated Seats
Dog car: 1996 Integra SE 5M/Leather/Dog Fur/Sand

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
i'm gay, this offends me :(

not really.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I test drove a Z4 before I bought the 540i.

I felt the same way. The road noise was obtrusive, the ride quality felt rather crude to me, and I didn't think it really did well in the turns... and the stock stereo seemed lackluster, even by oem standards. And the platform as a whole seemed to have some shuddering.

I have driven a couple Z3s before -- one was a 2.8 and another a M-roadster.
Both of the Z3s were vastly better than the Z4 i test drove.

The Z3 M roadster ride quality was equivalent or better than the Z4 3.0 but actually brought a lot more handling to the table. And overall, I think the structural stiffness was decent in the Z3 M roadster reasonable vs. a Z4 3.0.
And the regular Z3 2.8L sport package had a comfy ride quality and still took the turns reasonably well.

Plus I love the looks of the Z3 more than the Z4 inside and out.

I don't think the BMW engineers executed very well on the Z4 suspension.

At the end of the day though, the 540i series has the comfort and the power.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had one on a loaner when my beloved 530 was in the shop for the pixel fix. Even though my e39 is a 2001, it was WAY better than the z4 in my opinion.

The worst thing was that I felt like such a rump ranger driving it. I'm glad that's over. ;)

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
I test drove a Z4 before I bought the 540i.

I felt the same way. The road noise was obtrusive, the ride quality felt rather crude to me, and I didn't think it really did well in the turns... and the stock stereo seemed lackluster, even by oem standards. And the platform as a whole seemed to have some shuddering.

Wow, talk about an apples vs oranges comparison, that's like comparing an apartment in the city to a house in the country :dunno:

As a former Z4 owner, all I can say is it's a wonderful car, but it's an even more wonderful two seat sports car - something a 540 will never be.

I do agree, however, that two seat sports cars are not particularly good daily drivers and are best suited as third cars.

Ed

·
Get left...Go Fast
1,306 Posts
...Cough....fhag....Cough...

J/K

1 - 11 of 11 Posts