BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it was four weeks ago today I was on the tennis court and BAM...I ruptured my achilles tendon. I hobbled off the court with the assistance of my partner. Of course I had my new F30 328i sedan (stick shift) that was useless to me since I ruptured my left achilles tendon.
My wife came and picked me up and my neighbor picked up my car (wife can't and won't learn to drive a stick). I had surgery the next day.

so needless to say I'm pretty bummed about looking at my beautiful new car in the garage. Fortuntely I have an '02 525i wagon that comes in handy in these situations. It's an automatic. I can't even muster the strength to push the clutch in to start it. I need to have someone at least start the car. I can start to put weight on my left foot next week and then start PT but it's killing me not being able to drive the car. I love my E39 wagon, but sure miss the F30.

Anyone else have any experience with a ruptured achilles tendon driving a stick? I'd like to hear your stories

· Registered
79 Posts
Granted, my wife doesn't have a BMW, but she has a manual transmission VW Golf (and I had a manual Dodge Stratus until I picked up my new '13 328i just yesterday). She tore her ACL by tripping over the dog at dog training class of all things. After her surgery, she wasn't cleared to drive for probably 6 weeks longer than she would have, had she an automatic.

In all seriousness, one of my biggest fears is an injury, like yours, that renders me unable to drive, as we don't have any automatics in my family (although I'm also proud of that)

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

· Registered
420 Posts
Ouch. I practice Kendo and one of my fellow students tore his about a year ago. He has worked really hard on his PT and he is finally getting back to the point where he can start practicing with us again. It will probably be another year before he is back where he was.

Take it seriously, work hard on your PT (it will impact how much you come back from the injury) and listen to your doctors/therapists. Tell them what you want to be able to do and give them an idea of how much effort it is to do it. I have not driven a 3 with a stick, but the truck I drove with stick had a clutch needed a decent amount of force from the achillies tendon. It will depend on how heavy the clutch is, and how much shifting you do (driving agressively will have more impact on the tendon as you will use it more often) It might benefit the instuctor to have the numbers for how much force it take to depress the clutch, repetitions per mile/ or 15 minute period, etc.

Having a goal benefits you in the long term. Let your health professionals know what you want to be able to do and let them help you achieve it. Good luck!!!

· Registered
2,574 Posts
Once you get moving you can change gears without the clutch can't you? Although must admit I only ever did this on rentals as it doesn't sound that good when you get it slightly wrong; don't think I would do it that much on my F30 if it was a stick... :)

· Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually called my dealer and asked about any options on trading it for an automatic. This injury makes me not want to drive a stick anymore as much as I like it. I'm done with manual transmissions now. It's not worth it to me. I know what I need to do for rehab (I'm a podiatrist and I do these surgeries). My friend and partner did my operation and he thinks I can drive a stick again but I'm not so sure.

· Registered
25 Posts
I actually called my dealer and asked about any options on trading it for an automatic. This injury makes me not want to drive a stick anymore as much as I like it. I'm done with manual transmissions now. It's not worth it to me. I know what I need to do for rehab (I'm a podiatrist and I do these surgeries). My friend and partner did my operation and he thinks I can drive a stick again but I'm not so sure.
Ha, I figured you were a podiatrist by your screen name.

· Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,645 Posts
Wow!:thumbup: That's brilliant. I don't think I'll go that far but it sure would solve my problem.
Agreed. Quite awesome really.

I hope you're well soon, doc. :thumbup:

· Philosopher-king
6,427 Posts
My friend and partner did my operation and he thinks I can drive a stick again but I'm not so sure.
What about tennis? I'd think that would be about a bazillion times rougher on your Achilles tendon than a BMW clutch. I have never heard of anyone rupturing an Achilles tendon driving a stick shift.

I do have arthritis and we keep a spare car with an automagic for such occasions.

But I'll still keep a car with a stick for myself -- until they pry the knob from my cold, dead hand.

· Registered
823 Posts
Given that you're not so sure, why not give it a few weeks and re-evaluate when things heal up a bit? Dumping your MT now seems (to me) a bit drastic. I know achilles tendons are nasty, but heck, don't professional basketball players go back to the game after such a surgery?

· Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Given that you're not so sure, why not give it a few weeks and re-evaluate when things heal up a bit? Dumping your MT now seems (to me) a bit drastic. I know achilles tendons are nasty, but heck, don't professional basketball players go back to the game after such a surgery?
yes they do and you're right. I'm just pissed that it happened. I will give it some time and see how it heals and how I do once I start PT. I'm not going to dump it and shouldn't be so drastic. I am sure I'll still drive the car again...maybe in 3-4 weeks. It's 4 weeks today from the surgery. Next week I can start walking partially on it.

· Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What about tennis? I'd think that would be about a bazillion times rougher on your Achilles tendon than a BMW clutch. I have never heard of anyone rupturing an Achilles tendon driving a stick shift.

I do have arthritis and we keep a spare car with an automagic for such occasions.

But I'll still keep a car with a stick for myself -- until they pry the knob from my cold, dead hand.
good point. No I don't think you would rupture your tendon driving a stick, but I wonder after driving sticks for 20+ years if that did weaken my tendon which was already predisposed to rupture. Just makes me think...I'll definitely play tennis again (Boris Becker had this injury) but just not the same way. I'm 43 not 20 so I'll just adjust my game.

· Registered
95 Posts
If Ryan Howard can play Major League Baseball after rupturing his Achilles, I have no doubt you'll be able to drive stick. I injured my left Achilles about 13 years ago (actually the tendon sheath I believe) and it still hurts when I run, but using a clutch has never been an issue. Might take awhile, but you'll get there. Good luck! :thumbup:

· Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried driving last night in my boot. no way! not enough strength yet. Start walking tomorrow. So my wife is trying to learn and was proud of herself and drove 10 miles on her own. She was proud of herself. No damage to the car. Start PT Monday so hopefully in about 2 weeks I'll have some strength back to push the clutch in.

· Registered
5,413 Posts
Isn't an achilles tendon rupture usually as a result of running without doing stretching exercises beforehand, or from a general lack of exercise regimen and then going out as a weekend warrior thinking you're in your 20's?

I would think the clutch pedal action probably kept you from having this injury sooner.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.