BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Fountainhead
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a lot of new products in this week and decided to put them to the test. My wife's black, non-metallic Mazda. Yes, I detailed this car last month but it was only a little job. That time was just a wash and wax to test out the Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0. As stated before, it's a great synthetic wax. Think of it as the poor/lazy man's Zaino. Although it will not give you the same crystal hardness of Zaino.

My wife parks outside, so it doesn't take long for her car to require a touch up. As you can see, there are lots of water marks and factory installed swirls.

Day 1:
Project CX-9 2.0 started yesterday morning at 9am with a power wash using Ajax dish soap. Remember, only use dish soap if you are stripping the wax from your car. This is not a product that you should use as your normal wash soap. It's way too harsh.
After removing all the old wax, I clayed the entire car using Meguiar's Aggressive Clay Bar. I use the cheapskate technique. That is to say, I pull off about a 1"x1" square of clay and flatten it in the palm of my hand. This is usually enough to do an entire car. If you think that I'm risking the paint just to save money, you're dead wrong. I'm cheap, but not stupid. You really don't need to use the entire piece of clay though. It's pointless. Just use a lot of QD to keep the paint nice and wet and you will be fine.
Post clay, I gave the car a mini wash with regular car soap. Meguiar's d112. This is just to get rid of any debris that may have been left behind by the clay.
Next it was polishing time. Since I'm still getting the hang of the Cyclo Polisher, I decided to use a light abrasive compound. I know that it won't completely remove all of the factory installed swirls, but it will definitely diminish them. The polishing took 3 hours, so I called it a day after that.

Day 2:
Time for wax. Today I decided to go with the M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0. This is basically the professional version of the NXT Tech Wax 2.0. The good thing about the Pro version is that you can apply multiple coats without having to wait too long in between applications. So, after I did the first coat, I went ahead and vacuumed the interior. By the time I was done, the first coat had cured, and I did a second coat.
Now that the wax was done, I was able to rip off all the painter's tape from the black trim and start dressing it. I use a custom formula for this. The goal of my special brew is to clean and protect at the same time. I apply it with a sponge and then wipe it off with a MF.
You can see in the picture below how effective it is at restoring a nice black shine without looking too oily:

After all the black plastic was dressed (Why do crossovers have so much damn plastic?!?!), I steam cleaned the wheels and the interior using my good ol' VX 5000. I applied Mother's Spray-on Carnuaba to the wheels and Meguiar's M34 to all of the interior vinyl and plastic.
Now all that was left was to take my badger hair brush to the nooks and crannies. This is a great way to get all the little pieces of wax and polish dust off. The is especially useful around grill and window seams.
Observe:

That's it! Done! This job took a total of 13 hours spread over two days. If it were a MINI, it would have only taken about 8 hours. SUVs and a PITA.

·
Fountainhead
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great!!
Thanks. This is the first time I've ever done a Mazda, and I gotta say, THE PAINT SUCKS. I'm thinking of doing some wet sanding on it to get rid of the orange peel. But a car this size is such a pain in the ass...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts