BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Hubby of 1, Daddy of 2
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - bought the Cosmos Racing CAI and having a booger of a time getting it to stay attached where it means the intake. I have emailed Cosmos (lastnight) and waiting to hear back from him, but while I was waiting I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts.

Here is the deal...removal of OEM airbox and install of new CAI was a breeze...took me less than 30 minutes (which was patially kinf od scarty!:eek: ) and then I drove it around the block, drove it the next morning to church and then had some friends over afterward for lunch and I went out to show him. When I popped the hood, the portion that attaches to the intake had come loose...so - I thought maybe I had not tightened the clamp enough, so I reattached the connection and cranked on the clamp as tight as I could.

Well, I drove it the next day (Monday) to work and checked it...no problem. Drove it home from work and the sucker had come off again. It appears that the foam "filler" that goes around the neck of the intake (smaller than the intake tube from Cosmos) is slipping off and causing the whole bracket to then slip off. Not sure what the deal is.

So - lastnight, I took the sticky tape (original) off the foam "ring/filler thing and put some new industrial double sided tape and used that to hold it onto the intake neck. Drove to a meeting and then onto work (30 miles total) and it stayed, but I can tell it has moved...looks as if it is slipping again.

Any thoughts on what I have done wrong? Have I missed something in the install instructions or what? Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated. I will also let you know what Cosmos has to say when they contact me back.

Sproles

·
Registered
513 Posts
Buy a rubber coupler from autozone that has the same diamter on both sides. My CAI had one side that didnt even use a hose clamp because it was supposed to go into the neck of the filter which imo seems like it would restrict the air flow even more plus I could have the risk of the filter falling off because there is nothing holding it on. Anywyas I went to autozone and bought a rubber coupling that went from the stock intake neck to my cai metal neck. It fit like a glove and looks completely like it came with the kit because it is the same color as the one that came in the kit. They have different colors. I think this is what you need maybe post a pic to verify but this is what I am talking about. This is pretty much the one I have, im not sure of the dimensions on the link but im giving you a rough idea. Hope I am talking about what you are describing. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-3-Ply-Silicone-Hose-Coupling-Intercooler-3-Long-Bl_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33601QQihZ002QQitemZ120017465461QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.